pretend chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
Melly-n-shorty said:
I would still muck out stalls and pens for lessons... if there was a place that would let me!

Ok, ponies are out! I guess my next goal is too ask if I can clean up after the horse. One of the things that makes me nervous about the neighbors horses is that one of them does not like me :(. I don't know why and it's nice to everyone else but shoots me dirty looks and will never come over to me.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
This is what my wood's looked like this morning….
24yv9zd.jpg

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Melly-n-shorty said:
oh how beautiful!!! you lucky girl!

I bet that horse just knows your nervous and is mirroring your nervousness.

That's what the owner said! My neighbor said approach with slow relaxed movements and channel my inner cowboy/girl. I try channeling my inner Doc Holiday but it didn't work. The other horse comes to me, eats out of my hand and head hugs me which by the way is the best feeling on earth! The other one is always looking at me out of the corner of his eye:(

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Ponies can be good animals, it's just that they tend to deal with children who either do stupid things to them or can't control them and let them get away with everything. That would give even a horse a bad behavior problem. If you go for pony, get a large one or a small horse.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
The key to being a great hockey player is knowing how to accessorize….
1etlbc.jpg

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Did she pass Reagan's approval, too? How's the Princess doing?

Melly-n-shorty said:
oooo I have met some amazing small horses in my life!

Me too! The nice thing with horses or large ponies, is the larger the longer the rider can use the horse. It's a pain to get a pony, fall in love with it, outgrow it, and then have to get rid of it to get the next size bigger.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Reagan is on my bad side because she will go to the bathroom as close to our back door as possible and it is soooooo gross! She hates the cold and even though we snow blow a path for her when the snow is deep she basically sticks her rear end out the back door & goes!! Punk!

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
hahahaha! She is awesome, Love that she is playing a sport! so far mine only seems interested in dance and gymnastics. I want her to try soccer or softball. Maybe I will be able to talk her into it when she is older.

oooo ooo, you just reminded me of something my daughter said yesterday that I thought was super cute. we were at the hardware store and she saw rain boots. she is 4.

My daughter: mommy can I get new boots like those.
Me: you already have rain boots honey. you dont need another pair
My daughter: Nooooooo mom! those are puddle splashing boots! I need rain boots.

Jacqui said:
:D Did she pass Reagan's approval, too? How's the Princess doing?

Melly-n-shorty said:
oooo I have met some amazing small horses in my life!

Me too! The nice thing with horses or large ponies, is the larger the longer the rider can use the horse. It's a pain to get a pony, fall in love with it, outgrow it, and then have to get rid of it to get the next size bigger.

yep and I think the small horses and larger ponies tend to get harassed less so they usually have better temperaments. I used to love to ride a little Morgan mare named Tee when I took lessons. She had TONS of personality packed into a small body. and she was sooo pretty. She would untie herself from the hitching post, take off her halter, open pen doors, and undo her saddle if you were not carful. but she wouldn't run off, she would fallow you like a big dog once she got free lol. she loved to chase after us if we ran from her. ahh I miss her!

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
CtTortoiseMom said:
The key to being a great hockey player is knowing how to accessorize….

She is adorable.
I had one horse growing up that we had a very hard time training. He was the biggest and prettiest we ever had but when you thought you had him trained he would all of sudden act up. Sometimes horses have their own personality so maybe its not just you making him nervous.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
So yes horses all have different personalities. Some want to be told what to do, while other will tell you. Both types have their place. The more independent thinking horse is great out in the field because they often will be more tuned in to what's going on around them and they see threats that you might miss. The follower type horse is more willing to let you be the patrol look out. While this in its self isn't bad, I know my nose is nowhere near as efficient as a horses.
Now, on a side note. I use limestone flour to supply calcium to my tortiose charges. I know many feel that cuttlefish bones are fine to use but in light of recent evidence that they are likely one of the smartest invertebrates on this planet, I can't justify killing them for a bone that supplies calcium. Thoughts?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My thought is if we stop using everything that had feelings or smarts, we would stop eating plants, animals, ect. Would live us rocks and dirt and whose to say some day we won't discover they too have feelings. I really like being lazy and putting down those cuttlebones and just forgetting they are even there. I can buy exactly how many I want, they are cheap, lightweight, and I don't have to worry about how to store the leftovers. With the powder I would have to do more work and keep replacing what is lost and wasted. :rolleyes: Just my lazy thoughts. :p :D

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Cowboy_Ken said:
So yes horses all have different personalities. Some want to be told what to do, while other will tell you. Both types have their place. The more independent thinking horse is great out in the field because they often will be more tuned in to what's going on around them and they see threats that you might miss. The follower type horse is more willing to let you be the patrol look out. While this in its self isn't bad, I know my nose is nowhere near as efficient as a horses.
Now, on a side note. I use limestone flour to supply calcium to my tortiose charges. I know many feel that cuttlefish bones are fine to use but in light of recent evidence that they are likely one of the smartest invertebrates on this planet, I can't justify killing them for a bone that supplies calcium. Thoughts?
My husband bought our tortoises these calcium blocks. The tortoises love them. They are a good option if you don't like the bones.
The horse I was talking about was bought for my competitions but he would perform great for most of the practice and them randomly he would not take direction well. I worked with that horse for almost three years but he couldn't be tamed to the level you need for competition.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Melly-n-shorty said:
LOL maybe he is more of a John Wayne or Clint Eastwood fan! head hugs and lippy kisses are the best!

My Doc Holiday is soo good, I said.... "Hey Oatmeal (his name) I'll be your huckleberry" in a slow drawl straight out of my fave movie Tombstone.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Here in the Pacific Northwest, we have calcium poor soil on the west side of the cascades due to the average of 48" rain we get. I take the limestone flower and free broadcast it in the tortoise pens figuring this helps boost the calcium levels of the plants growing. Winter time when they're not out grazing I dust food items one feeding a week. Best part it's 100% organic and wayyyyy cheap!

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
CtTortoiseMom said:
Melly-n-shorty said:
LOL maybe he is more of a John Wayne or Clint Eastwood fan! head hugs and lippy kisses are the best!

My Doc Holiday is soo good, I said.... "Hey Oatmeal (his name) I'll be your huckleberry" in a slow drawl straight out of my fave movie Tombstone.

hahaha! I can almost hear you saying it! Oatmeal that is a great name! I love that movie too. I have the movie poster in tortoise/craft room. this is where we hang all the stuff we love but dont want to hang in the rest of the house. we have a tombstone poster, a ugly cinderella painting that takes up an entire wall and lights up, cow horns, Audrey Hepburn, a giant boat weather compass thing, and a weird beed painting my mom did all in one room! its like a tacky monster threw up in that room ha ha!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Melly-n-shorty said:
CtTortoiseMom said:
Melly-n-shorty said:

hahaha! I can almost hear you saying it! Oatmeal that is a great name! I love that movie too. I have the movie poster in tortoise/craft room. this is where we hang all the stuff we love but dont want to hang in the rest of the house. we have a tombstone poster, a ugly cinderella painting that takes up an entire wall and lights up, cow horns, Audrey Hepburn, a giant boat weather compass thing, and a weird beed painting my mom did all in one room! its like a tacky monster threw up in that room ha ha!

That's exactly how my basement is. I picture Cowboy Ken looking like and speaking like Wyatt Earp from that movie:).

Status
Not open for further replies.