Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Way back in the dark ages, the tortoise forum had a "chat" feature that no one used, so Josh removed the feature.

We have so many members now, we were wondering if there is any interest in asking for it to be reinstated.

We could set it up so that we would sign in certain times, like for instance once a week from 6p until whatever.

I think if we knew that there were certain times that others would be on, that we would be more inclined to use it. What do you all think?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
It would be super nice Yvonne :)
If I am not mistaken, the forum was on while it was night time here, could it be possible to do it from before your 6PM per exemple?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I think it would be a neat idea, worth a shot at least.

M

Maggie Cummings

Chat as in we are all in real time and typing to each other? Or actually talking over a microphone? I'm old I don't understand how this stuff works...

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Maggie- I'm guessing typing to each other in real time. That's usually how forum chat features work.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
why certain times? no other chat rooms are like that, the members are all over the world. if you would have a chat room, it should be open 24/7 for everyone, not just when it's convenient for a few people.

and i probably wouldn't use it, but i think everything should be fair for everyone, everywhere!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I belonged to a russian tortoise group on yahoo many many moons ago and every thursday they had a chat online I believe it was 6 o clock California time, so once a week we would get together and talk about russians and anything else that struck our fancy, it was a lot of fun.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
dmmj said:
I belonged to a russian tortoise group on yahoo many many moons ago and every thursday they had a chat online I believe it was 6 o clock California time, so once a week we would get together and talk about russians and anything else that struck our fancy, it was a lot of fun.

That was why I mentioned a certain time for the chat. I figured that if we all knew it would be open at a certain time more of us could plan to be there and use the feature. They still do that chat, David, if its the one I'm thinking of. It on every Friday night and includes Joe's two groups, the African tortoise group and the Russian tortoise group. Every Friday night starting at 6p.

I'm hoping for Josh's input. I don't know if it costs him more to have that feature or not.

J. Ellis

5 Year Member
Texas
I believe that was the intention of Yvonne's post, but to have "set times" as well? Perhaps I read her statement incorrectly. Either way, I do agree that it should be a function that could be used at any time. But to also have set times would be awesome.

finleafeater said:
Is it possible to just have the chat feature running at all times? Im pretty sure thats how most forums work, but correct me if I'm worng. I think the chat is just something you set up on the back end of the server- most hosts come with it and its not something someone has to manually "turn on" its just a link to some sort of java(etc) based program that you have to enable once and then c/p code it into the template.

Itd be cool to be able to idle the chat all day. I personally sit on tortoise forum when Im at work.

Also, the idea of having people come on at a certain time would be cool too but the chat itself could remain open?

Status
Not open for further replies.