pretend chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
Torty Mom said:
My son just checked in and they have finally reached Texas! Rockwall is the destination! Anyone close to there?

Yay, what a relief! I have never been to Texas.

I miss Anthony:( I hope he comes back soon.

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Michigan
CtTortoiseMom said:
Torty Mom said:
My son just checked in and they have finally reached Texas! Rockwall is the destination! Anyone close to there?

Yay, what a relief! I have never been to Texas.

I miss Anthony:( I hope he comes back soon.

I miss Anthony too. It's weird, I've never met him and I've only known him less than a month! :p

AnthonyC!!! turn you PM's back on!!!!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Do any of you ever think about the fact, that all you know about a person in here is what they tell you? Online is the one place you can come to and totally make yourself over into the person you want to be and nobody can tell.

I recall in another site (turtle/tortoise) how we had this guy who became an instant overnight popular person. I think half the females were in lust for the guy. He was only around for a month or two and then vanished one day. A couple of members even went to where he worked and some called, only to be told he did not work there. This guy totally made up who he was and then moved on.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I definitely realize that, if the person is likable online and you will never meet them in person, who cares who they really are.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Jacqui said:
Do any of you ever think about the fact, that all you know about a person in here is what they tell you? Online is the one place you can come to and totally make yourself over into the person you want to be and nobody can tell.

I recall in another site (turtle/tortoise) how we had this guy who became an instant overnight popular person. I think half the females were in lust for the guy. He was only around for a month or two and then vanished one day. A couple of members even went to where he worked and some called, only to be told he did not work there. This guy totally made up who he was and then moved on.

Do you know something about Ant?

:p

I've been using the internet every day since I was eleven. I've always been very conscious of how people can pretend, but I like to trust people 90%, and only if I get that extra 10% would I ever meet someone offline.

Technically, I met my fiance online (though I would have met him either way).

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Jacqui said:

Hearing about people 'altering' their online persona remind me of this story:
http://www.wired.com/politics/law/magazine/15-09/ff_internetlies?currentPage=all

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am a rock star. I can also fly.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
dmmj said:
I am a rock star. I can also fly.

I am a middle aged man from Idaho that always wanted to be a stay at home mom from Connecticut:)

It feels so good to tell the truth.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
And I'm Emrys. Hello everyone!

Didn't want people to know I was a typing tortoise, but I guess the secret's out!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
CtTortoiseMom said:
I definitely realize that, if the person is likable online and you will never meet them in person, who cares who they really are.

Interesting. So you would not care if somebody lied to you, as long as they do it online and you will never see them face to face?

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Jacqui said:
CtTortoiseMom said:

Interesting. So you would not care if somebody lied to you, as long as they do it online and you will never see them face to face?

I ditto what CtTortoiseMom wrote.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
cherylim said:
I've been using the internet every day since I was eleven. I've always been very conscious of how people can pretend, but I like to trust people 90%, and only if I get that extra 10% would I ever meet someone offline.

:D I met my husband online. :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Really guys? Lying online is ok? Personally and I am not pointing any fingers here lying online or in person shows a character flaw.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
tyler0912 said:
Jacqui said:
CtTortoiseMom said:

I ditto what CtTortoiseMom wrote.

See I find this so interesting. Me, I don't like lies, whether your online or telling it to my face.

dmmj said:
Really guys? Lying online is ok? Personally and I am not pointing any fingers here lying online or in person shows a character flaw.

I so very much agree with you David.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Jacqui said:
CtTortoiseMom said:

Well, I have done business with someone on this forum so in that instance I definitely would care. But, if you turned out to be a surfer named Steve from the PNW that did not want to play Jacqui the caring animal lover and mother of 4 anymore. I would not be mad I would just miss Jacqui.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Jacqui said:
cherylim said:

:D I met my husband online. :D

Excellent. :) How, exactly? Online dating, or another way?

I met my fiance because he was a student at the university I planned to go to. I was seeking out people to ask about their experiences and to attempt to get to know, and I found him. We would've crossed paths anyway but I doubt we'd have even really noticed each other unless I'd started conversations beforehand.

I couldn't imagine online dating, but then I couldn't really imagine dating at all. Until I got with my fiance I'd been single, and very happy with it. I wasn't a relationship person at all. I've yet to meet someone who met their partner through online dating, but apparently it's a very common thing. Have encouraged a friend to try lately, but don't know how it's going for them yet!

CtTortoiseMom said:
Jacqui said:
CtTortoiseMom said:

Well, I have done business with someone on this forum so in that instance I definitely would care. But, if you turned out to be a surfer named Steve from the PNW that did not want to play Jacqui the caring animal lover and mother of 4 anymore. I would not be mad I would just miss Jacqui.

That surprises me, too. If Steve had somehow managed to become a realistic physical woman, and was someone you made friends with offline as Jacqui, would you feel the same way?

'Jacqui' could meet you for coffee twice a week, tell you about family life and how all her animals are doing, and then one day turn out to actually be a man? Would you mind?

Also, it seems Jacqui has now become Steve without meaning to. :p

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
cherylim said:
Excellent. :) How, exactly? Online dating, or another way?

I met my fiance because he was a student at the university I planned to go to. I was seeking out people to ask about their experiences and to attempt to get to know, and I found him. We would've crossed paths anyway but I doubt we'd have even really noticed each other unless I'd started conversations beforehand.

I couldn't imagine online dating, but then I couldn't really imagine dating at all. Until I got with my fiance I'd been single, and very happy with it. I wasn't a relationship person at all. I've yet to meet someone who met their partner through online dating, but apparently it's a very common thing. Have encouraged a friend to try lately, but don't know how it's going for them yet!

It was a dating site on Yahoo. A friend of mine from another type of online site was always dating guys she meet on a dating site. She kept trying to have me try. So one day I said what the heck and did it. :D I actually went and met a couple of the guys on there. Jeff was just online the one time I was bored, so I sent him a message to see how online dating was working for him. We had very little in common according to the questionnaire thingy. He clicked right from the start. :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
tyler0912 said:
They said they will varnish aswell for no charge....shall i agree?
And i use cypress mulch at the moment...... £12.99 for a bag to fill tiagos small cage.......might just do that and mix with another bark...i will use Xmas money as i have some left...
I also need a zoomed lamp stand! :)

Yes, you should agree! But make sure you let it air out for a few days after you get it until you can't smell anything.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
OK, this is confusing. Are we supposed to pretend we are who we really are or are we supposed to be faking it? If it is the latter, I screwed up...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.