pretend chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Leyland, UK
Jacqui said:
It was a dating site on Yahoo. A friend of mine from another type of online site was always dating guys she meet on a dating site. She kept trying to have me try. So one day I said what the heck and did it. :D I actually went and met a couple of the guys on there. Jeff was just online the one time I was bored, so I sent him a message to see how online dating was working for him. We had very little in common according to the questionnaire thingy. He clicked right from the start. :D

Aww, that's nice! It's good to hear of someone it's worked for! I'm always interested in online society/relationships. :)

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Michigan
Ok you caught me. I am a robot with artificial intelligence created by the Japanese. I live in space on a satellite and I am super smart. :p

Naw I'm still regular John living a regular life in Michigan, who loves reptiles and happened to find TFO one day.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
lynnedit said:
OK, this is confusing. Are we supposed to pretend we are who we really are or are we supposed to be faking it? If it is the latter, I screwed up...;)

I think we should all be who we are, otherwise it is a lie (something which I dislike hugely). Glad you are you! :D

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Aww. Such nice online dating stories.
I met my ex online, he did go to school with an old friend of mine but we would never have met if he hadn't added me randomly added me (facebook) started talking to me!

I know loads of people who met there current partners online on dating sites.
I don't think there is anything wrong with it! As long as your sensible and safe (aka, you take a friend with you to meet someone for the first time or meet in a very social area with lots of people around sort of thing!)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
cherylim said:
Aww, that's nice! It's good to hear of someone it's worked for! I'm always interested in online society/relationships. :)

So far, so good. :D I have had several what I thought were serious male/female relationships online before. Unfortunately, none of them panned out once I met them face to face. Now the relationships with folks from in here, whom I then met face-to-face seem to be okay.

stephiiberrybean said:
As long as your sensible and safe (aka, you take a friend with you to meet someone for the first time or meet in a very social area with lots of people around sort of thing!)

Darn, I knew I kept forgetting something when I met them. :D I traveled all the way to Florida to meet the one guy.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Jacqui said:
cherylim said:
Also, it seems Jacqui has now become Steve without meaning to. :p

Does this mean I am no longer pregnant?????

Who knows? You might have other secrets, Steve.

(I'm going to start calling you Jacqui again now, before anyone else adopts this nickname for you and I end up confused!)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
TurtleTortoise said:
Naw I'm still regular John living a regular life in Michigan, who loves reptiles and happened to find TFO one day.

:D So happy to hear that, John!

cherylim said:
Who knows? You might have other secrets, Steve.

(I'm going to start calling you Jacqui again now, before anyone else adopts this nickname for you and I end up confused!)

Darn, I have always wanted to be a guy. Couldn't you atleast wait until I could write my name in the snow??? :D

TurtleTortoise said:
It seems like peoples personality online and when typing things is way different in person.

It's easier online to open yourself up and let everything out because total strangers aren't going to be in your face every day judging you for it. :cool:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
That is probably why I like the "what do you look like" thread and the in person get together.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
cherylim said:
Jacqui said:
cherylim said:
I've been using the internet every day since I was eleven. I've always been very conscious of how people can pretend, but I like to trust people 90%, and only if I get that extra 10% would I ever meet someone offline.

Technically, I met my fiance online (though I would have met him either way).

:D I met my husband online. :D

Excellent. :) How, exactly? Online dating, or another way?

I met my fiance because he was a student at the university I planned to go to. I was seeking out people to ask about their experiences and to attempt to get to know, and I found him. We would've crossed paths anyway but I doubt we'd have even really noticed each other unless I'd started conversations beforehand.

I couldn't imagine online dating, but then I couldn't really imagine dating at all. Until I got with my fiance I'd been single, and very happy with it. I wasn't a relationship person at all. I've yet to meet someone who met their partner through online dating, but apparently it's a very common thing. Have encouraged a friend to try lately, but don't know how it's going for them yet!

CtTortoiseMom said:
Jacqui said:
CtTortoiseMom said:
I definitely realize that, if the person is likable online and you will never meet them in person, who cares who they really are.

Interesting. So you would not care if somebody lied to you, as long as they do it online and you will never see them face to face?
Well, I have done business with someone on this forum so in that instance I definitely would care. But, if you turned out to be a surfer named Steve from the PNW that did not want to play Jacqui the caring animal lover and mother of 4 anymore. I would not be mad I would just miss Jacqui.

That surprises me, too. If Steve had somehow managed to become a realistic physical woman, and was someone you made friends with offline as Jacqui, would you feel the same way?

'Jacqui' could meet you for coffee twice a week, tell you about family life and how all her animals are doing, and then one day turn out to actually be a man? Would you mind?

Also, it seems Jacqui has now become Steve without meaning to. :p

In person, I would care. Online, I realize I am taking a big chance and chose to take what people are saying as the truth. If someone is outer as a liar I have never put myself in a position where it would really affect me.
If Anthony is really a married Banker from Detroit it really does not bother me. I miss his light hearted banter and positive post's with other members.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
CtTortoiseMom said:
In person, I would care. Online, I realize I am taking a big chance and chose to take what people are saying as the truth. If someone is outer as a liar I have never put myself in a position where it would really affect me.
If Anthony is really a married Banker from Detroit it really does not bother me. I miss his light hearted banter and positive post's with other members.

So thats Anthonys big secret!
Man I did not see that one coming!!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
TurtleTortoise said:
Captain crunch tears your mouth apart.
I thought it was made of glass?

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Rob is installing a new microwave because we needed a new one and we were able to take advantage of Black Friday sales, woot, woot!! The only problem is I cannot go anywhere near him while he is doing a project and he is in the kitchen and I am hungry:(.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
CtTortoiseMom said:
Rob is installing a new microwave because we needed a new one and we were able to take advantage of Black Friday sales, woot, woot!! The only problem is I cannot go anywhere near him while he is doing a project and he is in the kitchen and I am hungry:(.

Does that mean he swears, when things go wrong? Throws things? Doesn't like you looking over his shoulder? Or what?

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Jacqui said:
CtTortoiseMom said:

Does that mean he swears, when things go wrong? Throws things? Doesn't like you looking over his shoulder? Or what?

He swears if I talk to him and he asks for my help but and then when I help he says I am doing it wrong.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
CtTortoiseMom said:
He swears if I talk to him and he asks for my help but and then when I help he says I am doing it wrong.

:D Sounds like a fairly typical guy. :D So what is there to install?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
#1 - call to wife to bring me the scissors or a knife to open the box
#2 - lift out of box and ask wife to clear off space on counter for it
#3 - ask wife to plug it in
#4 - ask wife to read instructions for turning it on
#5 - have wife turn it on