tortoise Tori, owner Jordan

revitupmx5

Location (City and/or State)
Highland Beach
Owner has Tori for six months. She is about two years old. My question is what to add to her diet. Now Tori has some mixtures 2, 3, or 4 vegetables of romaine lettuce, zuchini, green pepper and parsely.

Tori recently had pneumonia and was on medicine for a couple months. No problem with what the girl would eat because she barely ate at all for several weeks.

Now that she is eating every bite I want to add to her meals. Also every other day she has dry tortoise food bites diluted into a mush. Do the dry food bites supply all her vitamin and mineral needs?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
What species is Tori?
There are great caresheets for most species here which cover diet, temps, substrate, lighting etc
Also www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide for tort safe foods.
If you can add pics, members can help you make sure she has a safe, happy home.
Happy to hear Tori has made a good recovery.
Another one of our members @Gillian M is also from Jordan, but sadly we don't see much of her these days.

revitupmx5

Highland Beach
Hi and welcome.
What species is Tori?
There are great caresheets for most species here which cover diet, temps, substrate, lighting etc
Another one of our members @Gillian M is also from Jordan, but sadly we don't see much of her these days.

Hi and welcome.
What species is Tori?
Hi and welcome.
What species is Tori?
Thank you about Tori. And btw Jordan is my name, not my country of origin.
I really need some advice. You read these care sheets and feel less capable than before reading.

Let me show you some pictures. IMG_20200614_115120.jpgIMG_20200614_115120.jpgIMG_20200614_115120.jpgIMG_20200614_115120.jpgIMG_20200614_115120.jpg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
So sorry, Jordan, I thought it was your location!:)
I can see now you are in Highland Beach, I'm in the UK and no idea where that is I'm afraid.
She looks lovely but I'm not very good at IDing torts - is she a Greek?
If so @JoesMum would be a great help to you and the caresheet should give you a good idea of food to feed.

Do you have pics of her enclosure and what heat/lights/uvb lamps you are using?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Forgot to say I sprinkle some calcium powder on the weeds or salad leaves - just a pinch a few times a week. I also have cuttlefish bone available for Lola to nibble on if he wants to. It's usually sold in pet stores for birds ,but remove the plastic or metal cage clips. Lola will ignore it most of the time but its there if he wants it. I also use a pinch of Nutrabal occasionally because in the UK I have to rely on shop bought food over the winter rather than weeds, so Lola needs supplements.

revitupmx5

Highland Beach
So sorry, Jordan, I thought it was your location!:)
I can see now you are in Highland Beach, I'm in the UK and no idea where that is I'm afraid.
She looks lovely but I'm not very good at IDing torts - is she a Greek?
If so @JoesMum would be a great help to you and the caresheet should give you a good idea of food to feed.

Do you have pics of her enclosure and what heat/lights/uvb lamps you are using?

revitupmx5

Highland Beach
Here are some bits of information. Tori is a Russian.I tagged several pictures from my picture folder but it only post up the first one several times

I'd like Tori to start getting supplements like Reptivite, and a calcium supplement. One question, does the terrestrial tortoise bites usually provide all the supplements needed? Or would you still add pinches of calcum and Reptivite.
TIA

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
That’s a very nice Russian you have there.

Your tort should be eating weedy and leafy greens and getting soaks of at least 20 minutes in warm water.

It will benefit from a tiny sprinkle of calcium powder on food three times a week - no more as you can overdo it.

It can’t digest sugars properly - they cause digestive and kidney problems - so sweet foods like fruit, tomato, carrot and bell pepper should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally if at all.

Cucumber and lettuce contain little fibre and and few nutrients so should also be fed sparingly.

Write a list of things that grow around you and those that you can buy and look them up on The Tortoise Table Plant Database for suitability to feed. If you can’t identify a plant, post a photo in our Plant ID section and someone will help.

Few of us manage without using pelleted food as a supplement in the winter months when weeds are in short supply. They must be soaked in water before feeding. They shouldn’t be your tortoise’s only food source.

revitupmx5

Highland Beach
Does someone else have this problem that I live in a 15 story condo and have a 30 gallon tank for Tori. I try to give her time out in the sun from my balcony. Does that sound good?