Tortoise biting herself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToriTortoiseCute

5 Year Member
Okay, so my beautiful little girl Tori, has a problem where every time she eats, accidentally bites herself on her leg. I've seen this behavior go on for some time, but I don't know how to stop it. I am really afraid she may hurt herself one day. If you have any idea on how to stop this behavior a response will be greatly appreciated! Thank you:)

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Oh my, that's alful! Poor Tori!
I have no idea what to tell you.
Hopefully you will get a reply from someone
who can help!! Does she bleed or leave a sore? :(

surie_the_tortoise

5 Year Member
findlay,ohio
my 6 yr old female did that a couple times but she stoped doing it . if she isnt hurting herself i wouldnt worry to much for now, would keep an eye on her see if she stops doing it . maybe try a little more food to see if she is just still hungry

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
See if putting her food in a pile will help. As she flattens the pile out, pile it back up.
You could also try putting her food in a dish that she would have to step up into in order for her legs to be in it, but low enough she doesn't have to get in it to eat. Not sure if I explained that very good. So, like a small flower pot saucer, if that helps.

ToriTortoiseCute

5 Year Member
Thank you all for your replies! She doesn't draw blood and theres no sore present. I've tried piling it, but she always lays on it to eat it, so it never works out! I tried the flower pot saucer, but she just climbs in and lies on her food! Ugh! Such a strange tort, but i love her! another problem with piling it back up is when i even go near her food she gives me the death stare and doesn't eat for like 5 minutes while staring at me. So odd! She has some attitude thats for sure!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Cooper did this also for a time when he was littler, come to find out he had Mazuri on his legs! Silly boy! He never hurt himself though.

Status
Not open for further replies.