Tortoise help!

Bulbabye

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have a one year old tortoise who is two this year she is in a open tortoise table with a uvb/heat lamp , hides, water bowl , and a piece of slate for her food . However this past month I have noticed a change in her eating which has now reduced to nothing she had taken a few mouthfuls of romaine lettuce yesterday but that is all, the last time I weighed her a few months ago and she weighed 230g I have weighed her again this morning and she is 214 … all she wants to do is sleep. She has never hibernated before as she’s to young .

Her temperature is 31.4 c under her lamp and 20.8c on the cold side , I normally soak her every other day but this past week I have soaked her everyday this week and she has urinated but she has not pooed . Any help on what is the matter with her ?

The only thing I could think it could be is worms but she was last wormed on September 2021 (she didn’t have any worms in her poo but has given it her for yearly prevention ) I have tried to contact a reptile vet but nobody in my area will resister any new patients … so I am lost on what to do .

The food I offer her include , romaine lettuce , mint, rocket, dandelions , lambs lettuce , and now and again I will offer her tortoise pelleted but very rarely as I have heard they are not very good for her diet . And I also sprinkle calcium powder onto her food every other day .

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Should I give her another wormer ?
Any idea what could be wrong please do comment
Thank you !

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Never give medication unless needed. I have never wormed mine and never a reason too.
What is the substrate?
Basking temp should be around 95F
All over from 75-80 all over the rest of the enclosure for day time. Can get into 60's at night. Humidity 80%
If they can't warm up enough they can't digest their food. Get basking temps and all over temps up and see how she does.

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Never give medication unless needed. I have never worked mine and never a reason too.
What is the substrate?
All over from 75-80 all over the rest of the enclosure for day time. Can get into 60's at night. Humidity 80%
If they can't warm up enough they can't digest their food. Get basking temps and all over temps up and see how she does.
This info is for russian and hermanns.
What do you actually have?

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello from Devon - I'm so sorry about your little one - what sort of tortoise is she/he ? I am not an expert, but I think you might be putting too much calcium powder on her food -that can put them off. The tiniest bit maybe twice a week should be enough. And she is highly unlikely to have worms, as there is no way she could have got them if she is in a table.
Can you send a photo of her enclosure, and of her too - there might be something that people here might notice..
Best wishes
Angie

Bulbabye

United Kingdom
Never give medication unless needed. I have never worked mine and never a reason too.
What is the substrate?
Thank you for the reply ,
Her substrate is topsoil

Bulbabye

United Kingdom
Hello from Devon - I'm so sorry about your little one - what sort of tortoise is she/he ? I am not an expert, but I think you might be putting too much calcium powder on her food -that can put them off. The tiniest bit maybe twice a week should be enough. And she is highly unlikely to have worms, as there is no way she could have got them if she is in a table.
Can you send a photo of her enclosure, and of her too - there might be something that people here might notice..
Best wishes
Angie
Best wishes
Angie
If it has any white pellet things in it get rid of it. If not, I would put orchid back over it and wet the bark for some humidity.
It’s organic soil so nothing in the top soil and I keep it wet

Bulbabye

United Kingdom
Best wishes
Angie
Best wishes
Angie

Attachments

• 6CB6C08B-D514-4330-898A-C9745D7C6CAD.jpeg
    6CB6C08B-D514-4330-898A-C9745D7C6CAD.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • CAE12BA7-D6DC-494B-B8B4-621877255A2A.jpeg
    CAE12BA7-D6DC-494B-B8B4-621877255A2A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
With an open top she really is not getting the humidity she needs and has some pyramiding.
Get the temps up where I suggested earlier and likely things will improve. Keep us posted if they do or not.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I think she might be better with her water in a terracotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate to ground level - this would be easier to get her head into , for drinking, or to walk in and out of the water, if she wanted.
What's her name ?
Angie

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I think she is possibly dehydrated. Do you soak her? Why is the enclosure not covered? Too maintain the humidity she needs to stay healthy?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Ok, sorry, I see that you do indeed soak her. How long do you soak her for each day and is the water warm?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You could use a sheet of clear plastic or plexiglass, I think, but others here will be able to advise you about this better than me.

Bulbabye

United Kingdom
With an open top she really is not getting the humidity she needs and has some pyramiding.
Get the temps up where I suggested earlier and likely things will improve. Keep us posted if they do or not.
How do you suggest I keep her warm in her enclosure as it doesn’t have a top? And I don’t think she has pyramiding I can show you more pictures of her . And I have a microclimate thermostat for her

Attachments

• DCCD51E7-4ED3-4028-9724-D0AE9EB7A133.jpeg
    DCCD51E7-4ED3-4028-9724-D0AE9EB7A133.jpeg
    516.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 5573F6F4-78B4-4AE5-8D99-1ECEC26B313A.jpeg
    5573F6F4-78B4-4AE5-8D99-1ECEC26B313A.jpeg
    220.5 KB · Views: 4

Bulbabye

United Kingdom
I think she might be better with her water in a terracotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate to ground level - this would be easier to get her head into , for drinking, or to walk in and out of the water, if she wanted.
What's her name ?
Angie
Thank you I will throw it away and buy her just that. She’s called Matilda ! Thank you