Decided to slow down on eating???

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Does anyone else ever notice their Russian eating less from time to time. Martha usually eats like a pig, but lately has skipped a few meals (feed twice a day) & is eating less at a time. She also has taken to peeing in her food bowl.....

She passed her parasite exam, & nothing has changed for heat or humidity. Range of 75-80 for majority & a basking of 95-98. She is 4" & I have no idea of age. I have had her for two months now.

She spends equal time burrowed & basking. I have noticed she hides a little more lately. She get soaked every other day & is feed - store greens, spring mix, squash once a week (as treat) Cactus once a week, broad leaf mix -grown from seeds. grape leaf, Mullberry leaf, & is supplemented with tnt & salad topper on store greens. She gets calcium three times a week.

Thoughts? I think shes mad at me for something.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
lismar79 said:
Does anyone else ever notice their Russian eating less from time to time. Martha usually eats like a pig, but lately has skipped a few meals (feed twice a day) & is eating less at a time. She also has taken to peeing in her food bowl.....

She passed her parasite exam, & nothing has changed for heat or humidity. Range of 75-80 for majority & a basking of 95-98. She is 4" & I have no idea of age. I have had her for two months now.

She spends equal time burrowed & basking. I have noticed she hides a little more lately. She get soaked every other day & is feed - store greens, spring mix, squash once a week (as treat) Cactus once a week, broad leaf mix -grown from seeds. grape leaf, Mullberry leaf, & is supplemented with tnt & salad topper on store greens. She gets calcium three times a week.

Thoughts? I think shes mad at me for something.

maybe being fed 2 a day is making her not hungry? why do you feed twice a day if i may ask

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
It was mixed research on how much & when from what I could find & she always seemed hungry, which I did limited (even when she destroyed her enclosure plants). Vet said her weight is good so far so I have continued on. Do you have a proven food plan you work with? Would love more info on what works for everyone!

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
lismar79 said:
It was mixed research on how much & when from what I could find & she always seemed hungry, which I did limited (even when she destroyed her enclosure plants). Vet said her weight is good so far so I have continued on. Do you have a proven food plan you work with? Would love more info on what works for everyone!

not proven but when i had my russian's(a friend has em now) i fed once a day and that was more then enough a russian will eat and eat and eat they are little gluttony eaters it doesn't matter if they are hungry or not they'll keep eating

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is totally normal. All of my tortoises of all species do this. Often the temperate species do this seasonally, but mine do it randomly all the time. Nothing to worry about as long as all your temps and parameters are all correct.

You might try soaking more often and/or more exercise. Both of those often get things moving along and help to create some appetite.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Tom said:
This is totally normal. All of my tortoises of all species do this. Often the temperate species do this seasonally, but mine do it randomly all the time. Nothing to worry about as long as all your temps and parameters are all correct.

You might try soaking more often and/or more exercise. Both of those often get things moving along and help to create some appetite.

Awesome Tom, Thanks. Do you feed once a day or more or less if I may ask?????
I will increase the soaks. We have had some nicer weather ( mind 70's in the sun ) so I have been putting her in her outside enclosure to run around for a bit & soak up rays. She did not like it at all.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I put down a big honkin' pile of food every morning. I try to adjust it so that its just the right amount for how much they wanted to eat that day. I don't like a lot of leftovers (but my roach colonies do...), but I don't want them to not have enough either. Sometimes I'll offer a lesser amount of their favorites and then leave a big cactus pad in there for them to nibble on if they are still hungry. Most days mine are outside and graze at will all day.

Most tortoises do not like being put into a large open unfamiliar area. It can make them feel vulnerable to predators or like they might be intruding on another dominant tortoises territory. This is why I recommend building them their own large enclosed territory. The first few times you put them out, they are "out of their element", but in time they realize that they are safe and alone and they get more comfortable. There are lots of examples on how to build something suitable in my signature links.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Tom said:
I put down a big honkin' pile of food every morning. I try to adjust it so that its just the right amount for how much they wanted to eat that day. I don't like a lot of leftovers (but my roach colonies do...), but I don't want them to not have enough either. Sometimes I'll offer a lesser amount of their favorites and then leave a big cactus pad in there for them to nibble on if they are still hungry. Most days mine are outside and graze at will all day.

Most tortoises do not like being put into a large open unfamiliar area. It can make them feel vulnerable to predators or like they might be intruding on another dominant tortoises territory. This is why I recommend building them their own large enclosed territory. The first few times you put them out, they are "out of their element", but in time they realize that they are safe and alone and they get more comfortable. There are lots of examples on how to build something suitable in my signature links.

Thanks, I did two feedings a day because I hate throwing away wilted greens too. She kept up with what was given & when with twice a day up until now.

I built a temp outside enclosure this weekend until I can get the big one done this early this summer. I have a sulcata baby too so I am going big & predator proof with a divider for each. I did add rose of Sharon & will be putting in Hostas when they come up for more hiding areas & food sources.

lismar79 said:
Tom said:

Thanks, I did two feedings a day because I hate throwing away wilted greens too. She kept up with what was given & when with twice a day up until now.

I built a temp outside enclosure this weekend until I can get the big one done this early this summer. I have a sulcata baby too so I am going big & predator proof with a divider for each. I did add rose of Sharon & will be putting in Hostas when they come up for more hiding areas & food sources.

Oh, & yes, thank you for your info, I have modeled my future enclosure off of yours & this one: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-2604.html?highlight=enclosure

I have already gathered most of the supplies, just waiting for the husbands hunny do list to narrow down :)

Attachments

• 20140405_142008_resized.jpg
    20140405_142008_resized.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 77
  • 20140405_142022_resized.jpg
    20140405_142022_resized.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 75

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like you have a great plan.

I have never seen that thread before. Thank you for linking it. What an amazing enclosure.

laramill

NCentral Wisconsin
You usually hear the general rule of a pile of greens "the size of the tort's shell" for how much to feed-- I don't think it really matters if you dump that all in at once, or do half as much for two feedings. If I was around everyday to do it in two feedings, I would rather do that just because I do think it gets rather wilty the way I do it (which is all at once)-- I wouldn't worry about the way you are doing it, especially if your vet just told you Martha's weight looks good.

I also experience fluctuations with how much mine eats-- He'll be a pig for a few days, and then nibble for a few...

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
For my 5 Russians, I dump down about enough for 6 torts and toss the leftovers to my slugs.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Well, everyone was right. She has been waiting by her food bowl the last few days :) somewhat impatiently too I might add...a spider plant suffered in the process....

f4tlsly

I put fresh greens out in the morning in a shady area and Jasper usually eats around 10 depending on how warm or cool it is outside, he lives outside full time. When it is cooler he eats less. Often he will come up to me when i am out checking on him at noon, if he does and his plate is empty i give him a little more. Have been feeding a sprIng salad mix that is either light on or without baby spinach, or sometimes get a head of red leaf lettuce. Have tried kale, he wont eat that at all. I picked up some grassland tortoise food yesterday and moistened it well and he ate a little if it was on some salad, but not plain. It gets hot (San Diego) and we have a low humidity a lot of the time so that is the reason i don't feed all at once, I've seen the lettuce go from fresh to a dried leaf in a couple hours even in the shade. He gets calcium twice a week. I purchased some seeds to plant, different lettuces and flowers that were on the edible list, just need to get them in the ground. I put a cuttle bone out for him, he hasn't ever nibbled on it and not sure if he ever will... Is therea trick to getting them to try it at least?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I put fresh greens out in the morning in a shady area and Jasper usually eats around 10 depending on how warm or cool it is outside, he lives outside full time. When it is cooler he eats less. Often he will come up to me when i am out checking on him at noon, if he does and his plate is empty i give him a little more. Have been feeding a sprIng salad mix that is either light on or without baby spinach, or sometimes get a head of red leaf lettuce. Have tried kale, he wont eat that at all. I picked up some grassland tortoise food yesterday and moistened it well and he ate a little if it was on some salad, but not plain. It gets hot (San Diego) and we have a low humidity a lot of the time so that is the reason i don't feed all at once, I've seen the lettuce go from fresh to a dried leaf in a couple hours even in the shade. He gets calcium twice a week. I purchased some seeds to plant, different lettuces and flowers that were on the edible list, just need to get them in the ground. I put a cuttle bone out for him, he hasn't ever nibbled on it and not sure if he ever will... Is therea trick to getting them to try it at least?

I put food over it until she accidently nibbled it. It worked for my sulcata but not my russian.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Mine get so excited when a new food flower or weed is in season, but then they get tired of them and enjoy a change. They'll eagerly accept those foods again after a break.

I often feed mine twice in spring and summer. Their breakfast comes from my garden, and the second meal is foraged while I walk my dog.