Tortoise help!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
No, terracotta has a slightly rough texture, which will help Matilda get in and out easily, and it is also relatively heavy. You can get them easily from garden centres, . I'm sorry, I should have made it clearer.
If you can rig up a wooden framework above your table, you can drape a sheet of plastic over it , which will hold in the humidity. I'm sure you will get things sorted out soon, and that you will see an improvement. I would also suggest you spray her food during the day, as it looks a bit wilted - it will help get fluid into her.
Angie x

Bulbabye

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
No, terracotta has a slightly rough texture, which will help Matilda get in and out easily, and it is also relatively heavy. You can get them easily from garden centres, . I'm sorry, I should have made it clearer.
If you can rig up a wooden framework above your table, you can drape a sheet of plastic over it , which will hold in the humidity. I'm sure you will get things sorted out soon, and that you will see an improvement. I would also suggest you spray her food during the day, as it looks a bit wilted - it will help get fluid into her.
Angie x
Thank you so much ,
Is it the heavy clay like ones I need ? And I will have to find something to cover the top for now I have put aluminium foil on top, would this be sufficient for now until I can find something more appropriate:)

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thank you so much ,
Is it the heavy clay like ones I need ? And I will have to find something to cover the top for now I have put aluminium foil on top, would this be sufficient for now until I can find something more appropriate:)
Yes, the clay type of saucer is the best - shallow enough to walk in and out safely., without any risk of falling over on to her back, which could be very dangerous.Aluminium foil will do for now, but a plastic shower curtain or something similar would be good - making sure the plastic is well away from the lamps, of course. I think you can probably get plastic sheeting from garden centres.
Angie x

Bulbabye

United Kingdom
Yes, the clay type of saucer is the best - shallow enough to walk in and out safely., without any risk of falling over on to her back, which could be very dangerous.Aluminium foil will do for now, but a plastic shower curtain or something similar would be good - making sure the plastic is well away from the lamps, of course. I think you can probably get plastic sheeting from garden centres.
Angie x
I will be going to B&Q tomorrow and get some ! I will keep you updated . Thank you
Just worried now as someone said it looks like she’s pyramiding :( I feel aweful if she is
She doesn’t look like it to me but it would make sense is she’s cold due to having a open table .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I will be going to B&Q tomorrow and get some ! I will keep you updated . Thank you
Just worried now as someone said it looks like she’s pyramiding :( I feel aweful if she is
She doesn’t look like it to me but it would make sense is she’s cold due to having a open table .
I said she looks to be pyramiding. It has to do with no humidity not temps. It's impossible to keep humidity where it needs to be with an open top. When you get it covered, the temp and humidity should go up. Get a point and shoot temp gun, like 10 bucks and you can easily check the temps in and under areas. If need be lights/heat can be lowered to get the right temps or add a ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat if needed.
Post more pics of her and we can tell if she's pyramiding or if it's just the angles of the pics, sometimes it's just that, the angles.

Bulbabye

United Kingdom
I said she looks to be pyramiding. It has to do with no humidity not temps. It's impossible to keep humidity where it needs to be with an open top. When you get it covered, the temp and humidity should go up. Get a point and shoot temp gun, like 10 bucks and you can easily check the temps in and under areas. If need be lights/heat can be lowered to get the right temps or add a ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat if needed.
Post more pics of her and we can tell if she's pyramiding or if it's just the angles of the pics, sometimes it's just that, the angles.
I think the humidity is fine as I have a hygrometer and it’s in the correct range . this was taken this week

Attachments

• FC788674-9633-4A13-B780-02A6892BE2B1.png
    FC788674-9633-4A13-B780-02A6892BE2B1.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Matilda looks fine to me - if she did have some slight unevenness in her shell, it would probably smooth out over time.She looks very sweet.
Angie
I'm sure you can get terracotta plant saucers at B and Q in the flower- pot section.
Angie

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I also recommend orchid bark for substrate she can burrow in it but also avoids soil being trampled on food and consumed eventually leading to compaction in the stomach. Check out swell reptiles on line and look for fine orchid bark and you can use course in years to come. Try proving kale leaves I remove the hard stalks and slice the leaves. Stop calcium temporarily to see if that helps. Then use it sparingly going forward. I think it can have a bitter taste so I had to switch products.

Bulbabye

United Kingdom
Update. I have gotten her the terracotta water dish and a cover for the tortoise table to keep heat inside , however she is still not eating very well , she managed to eat a few bites of dandelion yesterday but that is all and she’s not ate the food I have provided her today … her temperature at the moment is 35C• and not pooed in her morning soak either …

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Update. I have gotten her the terracotta water dish and a cover for the tortoise table to keep heat inside , however she is still not eating very well , she managed to eat a few bites of dandelion yesterday but that is all and she’s not ate the food I have provided her today … her temperature at the moment is 35C• and not pooed in her morning soak either …
Give her time- tortoises can take a while to adjust to change, even when it's change for the better - obstinate little creatures that they are. You are doing well with improving her environment - she may be much better by tomorrow- I do hope so. Please go on with the updates
Angie x

Bulbabye

United Kingdom
Give her time- tortoises can take a while to adjust to change, even when it's change for the better - obstinate little creatures that they are. You are doing well with improving her environment - she may be much better by tomorrow- I do hope so. Please go on with the updates
Angie x
Thank you fingers crossed x