TFO 3 Year Anniversary - Southern CA Party!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
August 15, 2010 is the 3 year anniversary of TFO!
I'd like to have a get-together here in Southern California to celebrate. Let's use this thread to brainstorm, plan, and spread the word. I'd like to get as many members to come out as possible!
Firstly, location. I vote we meet up in a park like we've done before but there are other places that would be suitable. Do you know of one? A location central to everyone will be essential. Potential attendees, where are you located and how far are you willing to drive?
Secondly, style. I think it'd be great to have a pot luck, but we could also do something easy like a giant subway sandwich or pizza. What are your thoughts?
Lastly, fun stuff. I'll host a raffle for TFO gear and some other prizes. Maybe a couple folks want to bring their torts? I have a couple of lawn games I will bring too, like bocce ball, horse shoes, and moose luck.

Any other suggestions or ideas?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
RE: TFO 3 Year Anniversary

We should see everyone's (in CA at least) zipcode and go from there, I am 91750 and a pot luck sounds great to me. as for distance I could prob go 30 miles or so, maybe more.

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA

Oh yah! ZIP codes are a great idea.
I'm in 92373

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.

I am in 92065 I would go 100 miles. Dos Picos state park is nice and shady August will be hot. The beach would be nice, but so crowded.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
RE: TFO 3 Year Anniversary - Southern CA Party?

Josh said:

Move it to a more central location, that way those of us who don't happen to live in or near to CA, could go to one. :p

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal

I'm game! I'm in 93534 and I was thinking about something dmmj said the other day....so I'll just throw it out there...San Dimas Park? That's about 90 miles from me...and 110 miles from San Diego...

M

Maggie Cummings

97330 for me, I'd love to bring Bob...roughly 1000 miles for me...I'm pretty sure I'll be in Fresno in August

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA

Just FYI kern park in La Verne right next to san dimas, has a ton of trees very shaded, should be cool, just sayin.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal

dmmj said:
Just FYI kern park in La Verne right next to san dimas, has a ton of trees very shaded, should be cool, just sayin.

Is that the one on Wheeler?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA

it is right before wheeler on bonita, I think it is in La Verne, but it mught be san dimas

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal

That's La Verne

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA

Still collecting ZIP codes. Please let me know if you'd be interested in attending!

S

Scooter

Sounds like a great idea! I'm in Florida though so California is a little to far for me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

91350. If Bob is coming, attendance will be through the roof! I'll go where ever is central to everybody. We should have tortoise races! Of course quarantine might be a problem. Of course hauling a 40 pound or larger sulcata in a closed vehicle on a hot day does not sound like fun. Ok, nevermind...

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA

hahah! We could do juvenile tortoise time trials! No contact - the winner is the one who completes the course the fastest!
I'd be ecstatic if Maggie and Bob could make it!
Tom said:
91350. If Bob is coming, attendance will be through the roof! I'll go where ever is central to everybody. We should have tortoise races! Of course quarantine might be a problem. Of course hauling a 40 pound or larger sulcata in a closed vehicle on a hot day does not sound like fun. Ok, nevermind...

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA

92054 here. Not sure how far I'd drive. I'm open to the idea right now though! Sounds fun!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Josh said:
hahah! We could do juvenile tortoise time trials! No contact - the winner is the one who completes the course the fastest!
I'd be ecstatic if Maggie and Bob could make it!
Tom said:

Juveniles? If we're gonna do it, I want a "Breeding Age Adult Class" My little 40 pounder is a sprinter and he's obviously "breeding" age. His name's not Scooter for nothin'!

OurZoo

5 Year Member
Glendora, CA

Josh said:
August 15, 2010 is the 3 year anniversary of TFO!
I'd like to have a get-together here in Southern California to celebrate. Let's use this thread to brainstorm, plan, and spread the word. I'd like to get as many members to come out as possible!
Firstly, location. I vote we meet up in a park like we've done before but there are other places that would be suitable. Do you know of one? A location central to everyone will be essential. Potential attendees, where are you located and how far are you willing to drive?
Secondly, style. I think it'd be great to have a pot luck, but we could also do something easy like a giant subway sandwich or pizza. What are your thoughts?
Lastly, fun stuff. I'll host a raffle for TFO gear and some other prizes. Maybe a couple folks want to bring their torts? I have a couple of lawn games I will bring too, like bocce ball, horse shoes, and moose luck.

These 2 parks were mentioned in a couple of replies, so I'd thought I'd share a wee bit of info on each:

Kuns Park, 1600 Bonita Ave, La Verne, CA 91750
Picnic tables, sheltered picnic areas, nice and green with trees for shade, small hometown type park.

San Dimas Cyn Park, 1628 N Sycamore Cyn Rd, San Dimas, CA 91773[/b]
Larger canyon type park with lots of trees and parking.

Both parks are easily accessible from the 10, 210, & 57 Fwys. - but like they say location, location, location - & what is a great location for some is not for all.

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca

Ok 91780. Willing to drive with reason. (Hard to do 1000 miles on a weekend and make it to work monday) Also willing to bring a gas BBQ and a charcoal BBQ, if needed. (might ask for assistance with charcoal and propane if it is a big party) Also have croquet set (slightly used)

With notice can do frisbee golf too. (have to go to AZ and get it)

Dawna

Status
Not open for further replies.