Izzy is gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

spring pace

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
topanga, california
terry, is she a bug eater? she might be attracted to a place thats very wet say along the fence line of where you have the small creek in her enclosure. i havent read every post, and it may have already been suggested, but looking at the first sunny spot of the day may give you a clue as to where she goes to hide at night or might be where the sun last leaves the area shes supposed to be in, shell want to have as much sun as possible until the very last minute and thats where she sleeps. i know my gali follows the sun until its gone and then he heads to his house. we are keeping our toes crossed that you find her.

George

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello - any joy on finding Izzy?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
No George....no joy. We still look every AM and late afternoon. We have water dishes out all over and they are all dirty looking at one time or another...so unless there is something else sitting in the water dish...Izzy is still around here somewhere...I did put out a plate of strawberries and cantaloupe, her favorite, and someone ate it, but it could be birds. We really have no predators around here, except birds, toads and frogs that hang around my pond. Thank you so much for thinking of us. I always put lots of leaves, in the fall, in back of the big Cyprus trees, so there is plenty of worms and bugs and lots of compost for her to dig under if we don't find her in the fall. We will never give up though.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Terry sounds like she doesn't even know she is paying hide and seek. I know she will pop up when you least expect it. Good thought continue to come your way.

George

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
terryo said:
No George....no joy. We still look every AM and late afternoon. We have water dishes out all over and they are all dirty looking at one time or another...so unless there is something else sitting in the water dish...Izzy is still around here somewhere...I did put out a plate of strawberries and cantaloupe, her favorite, and someone ate it, but it could be birds. We really have no predators around here, except birds, toads and frogs that hang around my pond. Thank you so much for thinking of us. I always put lots of leaves, in the fall, in back of the big Cyprus trees, so there is plenty of worms and bugs and lots of compost for her to dig under if we don't find her in the fall. We will never give up though.

I was just thinking about 'someone ate it, but it could be birds' is there anyway that the food could be covered so you know it would only be a animal on the ground that could find it? could some kind of hide be created that she could get in but have trouble getting out? a concern would be stress but you could do it at a weekend or when you know you are home to check regular.

Reading my own reply it doesn't sound very nice for Izzy but if it could be done with reduced stress, only a thought - maybe a bad one - Leanne

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Terry,
You are still in my thoughts and prayers. Like Robyn, I think she is going to pop up when you least expect it.

George

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thought i would just check in - as squirtle has been found - any news on Izzy?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
It is starting to get cooler now at night here...in the low 60's...so I think Izzy has dug under...I hope anyway. Although today was in the 70's. I never lost a boxie....ever.... and this is just so sad for me. I'm just hoping that she will hibernate OK and maybe I will find her in the Spring. But I'm not giving up....never. Thank's for thinking of us.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
My Three-toeds hibernate just fine up here in Mass., so Izzy will do just fine hibernating there :D
She will "pop up" don't worry :)

Danny

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
just keep your eye out in the yard, 60s and 70s they will still come out, when its in that type of temps they like to bask in the mornings, If you go out when the sun is about to come up 7amish you might see her in the sun. My mt. tortoise escaped 2 weeks ago and i found her on a brick basking away, she was healthy and doing fine, Just don't give up they tend to pop up when you least expect it.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Put her hide out where she was last 'seen'. and can you get a heat source out there? WIll she seek it out? Or bury under?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Thanks Laura and Lenzer, but Izzy never went in her hide. Eventually I took it out and just kept a lot of long fibered moss or reptile moss in a corner of her enclosure. Outside she would dig under a plant. He has been in the 60's and 70's here, but tomorrow and the next day will be in the 80's so I will be up at dawn to search some more. Thank all you guys for caring.

George

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Good luck Terry in finding Izzy and Izzy in finding you! x

George

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thought i'd check in, not that i know about hibernation, but should she be waking soon? any changes to your backyard?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
George, thank you so much for thinking of us. We are still under loads of snow in my yard here, so no chance of looking yet. When the snow melts, and it gets a little warmer, I will ALWAYS be on the look out. Meanwhile, I saw my RES one day last week when we were in the 50's here. So Spring is just around the corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.