Izzy is gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
I don't even know where to begin. My nice and her 12 year old daughter were staying with me for the weekend, because they had an affair to go to. Her daughter asked me if she could put Izzy outside in her pen for me while I was getting dressed. Thinking that she was responsible enough I told her OK because the weather was nice enough for her to stay out for the day. Well, she didn't put her in her enclosure, she put her in the flower garden. We ate breakfast, they went off to their party, and I went to church, and then shopping for most of the day. Late in the afternoon I went out to check on the weather and make sure Izzy was in her hide for the night. She was no where to be found. I took the top of the hide off and took out every bit of leaf litter and nothing. I looked under every plant...there really isn't any place to dig under in the enclosure because I have a lot of ground cover and plants. I became frantic and called my niece on her cell phone and she asked her daughter where she put Izzy, and she said that she forgot her in the flower garden.
The flower garden leads into the back of the yard where there is 25 Cyprus trees all about 15 feet tall. The back and sides of the yard have a retaining wall that goes 4 feet down and 4 feet up and then a fence around the whole yard. The only other exits are the two gates on either side of the house, that lead to the front of the house, and they go down to the ground. When we did our yard we made sure there was no way for my two Chihuahuas to get out as one of them is only 2 lbs. There is no way for her to dig under the retaining wall that is around the back and sides of the yard. I checked the whole flower garden, but there is plenty of places for her to dig under plants .....I squeezed through the big Cyprus trees....all 25 of them....I am full of cuts and scratches...I still can't stop crying...I am sick and devastated. They didn't come back to the house tonight as the kid was embarrassed to face me....I was screaming like a nut. I have no one to blame but myself. I never let anyone handle my animals, and I should not have trusted her, but, she has been here many times and knows where the enclosure is and we all hang out there to look at my Izzy and Pio in there. I put some pans of water in the flower garden, and also two pans in where the Cyprus trees are. I'm never going to stop searching...but there are so many spots for her to hide. I usually go get worms where the Cyprus trees are and bugs as there is so much compost there from fallen leaves, so if she is in there she will have plenty to eat, and the dirt is soft if she has to hibernate...I am a mess....I just had to post this to vent a little, and now I'm so cried out, and tired I'm just going to bed. I'm not going to tell my grandson Tim, until he gets home because I don't want to ruin his vacation. He loved Izzy and has been helping raise her since I got her....

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Oh Terry I am SO SORRY. That's horrible.........I feel so bad for you right now. Izzy is a beautiful boxie.

Maybe she will go to her enclosure. Box turtles usually have territories in the wild, maybe she will head back to familiar area because she knows thats where the food is. I am sure that she has a bond with you, that will hopefully also play a part in her return.

Don't give up. You will find her.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Terry, I am so heartbroken for you !!!! DO NOT give up !!! Your Izzy will be back I am sure, never stop looking !!! Get other people to help you search every day. What a silly kid that one, makes me mad. Don't beat yourself up though Terry, its not your fault, and I am positive Izzy is just fine !!! You WILL find her. I will pray oh so hard for you to find her. Big hugs from Nick, Tallula and I xxxxx

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
One suggestion is when it rains or the sprinkler is on, watch for her as they often get real active in falling showers. Berries will also draw them. One saving grace is your location is a natural habitat for boxies and I'm sure she will show up. My thoughts are with you.

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Oh my goodness!
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.
As Stazz said don't beat yourself up, instead funnel that energy into
the search.
I'll be thinking of you and sending positive vibes for your search.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
O nooo Terry, I am so sorry!
Please, know that it is not your fault. The girl should have known to not put a turtle in a garden and leave but I am sure that now she knows and I am sure she feels really bad about it. Maybe she will come to your house and help you find Izzy. Terry, Continu doing what you are doing and I am sure you will find your little friend (knock knock on wood). I keep my finger crossed and you and Izzy are in my thoughts.
Good luck and please, keep us updated.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Terry, I am sorry Izzy is missing. I bet you will find Izzy lumbering around the yard though. Like you said, with so many places for Izzy to hide it might just take a while. Keep us posted!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is just awful news! I'm so very sorry.

I know you've been doing a lot of searching, but have you been down on your hands and knees? She's so small, you might not see her if you're standing. I'll bet she hasn't traveled far from the point where she was set down. Just get down on hands and knees and dig your fingers into every inch of that flower garden. You'll find her. She's sitting there with her big eyes barely out of the leaf litter, just laughing at you!!

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Terry I know nothing that is said will truly ease your pain right now but I have faith that Izzy will be found. She is probably enjoying her time outside and watching you as you search for her. I'm sure Tim will help search (as kids are really got at finding stuff that's missing). Good thoughts going your way and prayers for Izzys quick return to your loving arms.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Terry I'm so sad that Izzy is missing. I'm sorry this has happened to you and her. I was thinking though (and maybe others won't agree) that you might take your 2lb dog looking with you. I'm only saying this because she is so small and you can watch her closely when she looking for Izzy. She might be able to sniff her out. I do agree with Yvonne that she probably hasn't moved very far though I know that when Dale's out he just travels to were he can hide and stays in one spot for what seems like forever. Good luck.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
In this situation, I like the dog search idea as well! Seems to be very small down side with you there, and a huge upside.....You find Izzy!

M

Maggie Cummings

OMG! That is terrible. I sure know how you feel. But do like Yvonne says and get down on your hands and knees at turtle level and you have a better chance of finding her. I don't think she's gone to far, she's hiding close...

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
Would your chihuahua's sniff her out and help you find her? Perhaps you could try and get some of those foam knee pads and just start carefully looking on your hands and knees..
It's still very early days, in the UK people have tortoises hanging about in their gardens and they see them randomly so you still have lots of time before winter to find her.. ((()))
Oh and who is Izzy, is she a box turtle I want to think of her so you can find her..

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
I'm not so sure what the big panic is all about..
It's still in the yard, if I read this correctly. I'm sure it will show up sooner or later. I can't even begin to count all the times I was "positive" my torts were lost. They always pop up, even when I was sure I had looked "everywhere" for them.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hi Terry,
Yes, it's very hard, oh how I know. And I never did find my Louise. It seems that Shelly did kinda say what a few of us thought, you have the yard enclosed right? Or maybe it was read wrong. Hope your little Izzy sees that the grass is not any greener.. Stay Positive!!
Na

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Shelli said:
Would your chihuahua's sniff her out and help you find her? Perhaps you could try and get some of those foam knee pads and just start carefully looking on your hands and knees..
It's still very early days, in the UK people have tortoises hanging about in their gardens and they see them randomly so you still have lots of time before winter to find her.. ((()))
Oh and who is Izzy, is she a box turtle I want to think of her so you can find her..

She is my Three Toed Boxie, who I have for two years, since she was 1 month old.
This is Izzy:
015-3.jpg

I have my two neighbors on either side of me searching their yards...although I am quite sure she couldn't get out of the yard...it's really impossible. We have no predators here either.
Today I went on my hands and knees crawling in and out of the big Cyprus trees....all through the flower garden...all this 15 min. after I hosed everything down. My legs were full of mud and blood, from scratches. Nothing...It is over 95 degrees out there now, so I had to come in a take a cool shower...I put three big saucers of water with some ice cubes in them, and four plates with strawberries and Mazuri, her favorites. Tonight I will go out again. I feel like I'm loosing my mind now. I take the two dogs with me ....they are so excited to be allowed in the flower garden.

M

Maggie Cummings

terryo said:
Shelli said:

She is my Three Toed Boxie, who I have for two years, since she was 1 month old.
This is Izzy:
015-3.jpg

I have my two neighbors on either side of me searching their yards...although I am quite sure she couldn't get out of the yard...it's really impossible. We have no predators here either.
Today I went on my hands and knees crawling in and out of the big Cyprus trees....all through the flower garden...all this 15 min. after I hosed everything down. My legs were full of mud and blood, from scratches. Nothing...It is over 95 degrees out there now, so I had to come in a take a cool shower...I put three big saucers of water with some ice cubes in them, and four plates with strawberries and Mazuri, her favorites. Tonight I will go out again. I feel like I'm loosing my mind now. I take the two dogs with me ....they are so excited to be allowed in the flower garden.

The first time I lost a turtle Yvonne had me get down on all fours and look for him that way. Your whole prospective is different. Also don't worry too much, that turtle was returned to me after all summer and winter passed. We found him the next spring. So you can't just give up. I would let the dogs run around and I think the chances are good the dogs can find her. I understand how upset you are, and I am sorry for that...

Status
Not open for further replies.