Baby Russian tortoises rubbing its right eye

The other tort is not rubbing its and they both hatched the same day and for question 2 I only had newspaper down as that is what the vet recommended but I then checked forums and they said use coco coir

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
OK, lets go on logically...

1. One tort has no issues, one does. If UVB/UVC exposure to retinas from a CFL was the cause, how does the second tort escape it?
2. The coir looks very loose and fairly dry and one tort is covered in it head to toe. Where did you buy it? Brand?
3. Have you read about bullying? Even though one tortoise may only perceive it as a problem, it becomes a real problem

I bought the coir from Amazon and as for the brand I'm not too sure all I know is that it hasn't been fertilised and it is pest free

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
OK, now, here is what I would gather...

The tort in question started rubbing his eyes days ago as you said he has been on drops for 4 days. So that started before the change to coco coir. That makes that less likely. The second tort is not affected. This makes the CFL less of a suspect as they are both exposed. Really, I think he may be the "less durable" of the two. He is intimidated by the other and it is affecting his overall well-being. Combine that will what looks like a low humidity, open tank, and I think he is just not in conditions that would allow him to thrive and his condition is showing it.

So, I would recommend separating the two physically AND visually. I would somehow make your set up an enclosed chamber and get the humidity up. I would also recommend wetting and patting down the substrate to compact it a bit to keep down additional irritants.

Now, with all you have heard, if you are still scared of the CFL, you can either shield it (throw a plastic fish bowl over it) or move it up to about 10-12" away from the substrate. CFLs don't have enough output to be dangerous at that distance, thats a for sure thing.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Do be aware, if you do shield or move the cfl, it will be ineffective for UVB as well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's some excellent advice. Pairs hardly ever work out ok. Tortoises are solitary creatures, preferring to be alone. You might not see any overt bullying, but you are seeing the results of it. I really do think that once he's set up by himself, you'll notice a big improvement.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
You lasted through the questioning, James Bainbridge, congratulations! :) I hope your tort gets better soon. Keep us updated.

Hi there GingerLove after all of the process of cleaning them out and reading through all of your answers I turned the coil bulb off and there is massive improvements, when ever I pick the little bugger up both eyes are open and she seems really happy, so just to make sure that all of your hypothesis are correct I am going to leave the light off today and see if her eye stays open if not then it's back to the drawing board but I don't think this will be the case. I would like to thank you all very much for all the advice that you have given me and I'm sure little figit appreciates it to so thank you from both of us and lastly I'm pretty sure that cheeky (that's the other tortoise) will benefit and appreciate from the advice also

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi there GingerLove after all of the process of cleaning them out and reading through all of your answers I turned the coil bulb off and there is massive improvements, when ever I pick the little bugger up both eyes are open and she seems really happy, so just to make sure that all of your hypothesis are correct I am going to leave the light off today and see if her eye stays open if not then it's back to the drawing board but I don't think this will be the case. I would like to thank you all very much for all the advice that you have given me and I'm sure little figit appreciates it to so thank you from both of us and lastly I'm pretty sure that cheeky (that's the other tortoise) will benefit and appreciate from the advice also
Thank you for your feedback. Obviously if the problem returns, you've proved it wasn't the bulb... or that the bulb was only part of the problem.

Your tort will be fine without UVB for a week, but after that you need to have either natural sunshine outdoors or a tube or MVB bulb in place.

Keep us posted :)