Help! (Poor appetite, rubbing eye)

Louless101

I just bought a Russian tortoise from a seller online.. I have only had her for about 2 days and she has been eatting but only a little.. Should I be worried? Also I noticed this morning that she is rubbing her left eye and it looks like she has gotten some substrate in her eye. I gave her a bath and got the stuff out but she still is rubbing it. I don't know what to do and I feel horrible! Please help!

Alexio

Location (City and/or State)
Syracuse, New York
What type of substrate are you using?
Also what type of bulbs are you using?
The small spiral uvb bulbs have been known to cause eye problems. Pictures of your enclosure and tortoise would help too.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Pictures will help more, but chances are you have a little wild caught Russian. It will take time to adjust. A nice large enclosure with plenty of hiding spots will help. Not sure what the deal is with the eye. I would just keep it rinsed with water.

Louless101

Does she look healthy? I'm just worried and the last thing I want is for her to be unhealthy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The bit of substrate that you removed may have cause a little scratch that still bothers the tortoise. Look for one of these items online or at your vet or pet store (you don't need both):

eye ointment a.jpg eye ointment b.jpg

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Does she look healthy? I'm just worried and the last thing I want is for her to be unhealthy
She looks good to me. Shell is very pretty color, and not banged up. I may be wrong about WC, but even captive bred Russians need a large enclosure and time to adjust to a new territory.

Louless101

Okay that makes me feel a lot better! I plan to expand her home soon! I was just worried cause she has not really basked under the heat lamp and she only won't dig in her log and sleep really. I was wondering if it was to hot cause my room tends to get hot, so I turned on my air conditioning, and she is now under the heat lamp! She eats a little when I put out the food but not much, I was just worried! Thank you for helping! Really makes me feel better knowing people thinks she looks healthy!

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
That's what my EBT does!

It's strange behavior.

She eventually turns around and heads off into other parts of her enclosure.

Her substrate is coconuts. And she does eat it on occassion.
Coconut coir or ground coconut hulls?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Okay that makes me feel a lot better! I plan to expand her home soon! I was just worried cause she has not really basked under the heat lamp and she only won't dig in her log and sleep really. I was wondering if it was to hot cause my room tends to get hot, so I turned on my air conditioning, and she is now under the heat lamp! She eats a little when I put out the food but not much, I was just worried! Thank you for helping! Really makes me feel better knowing people thinks she looks healthy!
Welcome to the forum. She's a cutie! Torts don't like change so she needs a little time to settle in. And she may not eat well for a few more days. The most important thing you can do is keep a consistent schedule for her every day, like soaking her, feeding her after the soak, lights on & off at certain times, etc. There's a lot of info on this forum plus wonderful tort & turtle parents. So ask questions & hang out with us.

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
My EBT is now used to her enclosure. I think she still feels 'boxed in' (pun intended) occasionally.

She used to pee on me when I picked her up. She doesn't anymore.

She doesn't burrow anymore and lounges under her heat and UV lamp being very stretchy. Tortoises/Turtles are the ultimate sun bathers!

I have to get a new basking bulb because I am using an intense infrared food bulb.

She keeps an eye on me as I'm wandering about doing stuff. This 'eyeball' zeroing in on me is sort of creepy.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Her (?) insides must be 85 degrees so they can digest their food. She needs a hide, and the chances are good she is not a she. Did the seller tell you how old and what sex? You are really gonna need some help with this one. Most experienced keepers here will tell you to get rid of the MVB...it desiccates the carapace...but before you get an expert's advice, read this...it's very important...and welcome

Mediterranean Tortoises (genus Testudo)

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
Her (?) insides must be 85 degrees so they can digest their food. She needs a hide, and the chances are good she is not a she. Did the seller tell you how old and what sex? You are really gonna need some help with this one. Most experienced keepers here will tell you to get rid of the MVB...it desiccates the carapace...but before you get an expert's advice, read this...it's very important...and welcome

Mediterranean Tortoises (genus Testudo)
I think an enclosure where the Tortoises can find the best place to be would be an answer.

I have an Eastern Box Turtle that I found on the Bicycle trail her in Virginia that was run over by a bicycle.

I'm wary of MVB too. I got an UV LED light and should provide the UV light they need. I can actually see her carapace tan!