Eye problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borys_Netasha

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florence, AL
My male Russian has always been a little aggressive toward my female, he has even bitten her arm once hard enough to bring blood. :( He's normally only aggressive when there is food around...

I told that to tell this: I noticed that Netasha was rubbing her eye with her arm this morning, I thought she might have gotten some sand in it from digging around, so I did not pay much attention to it. When I went to put food into their tank, I noticed that she was still rubbing her eye. I picked her up to clean her face off and noticed that she has a 'black eye', if you will. It's real red around her eye and there is even some white, hazy-ness in her pupil. :( :( :( Could Borys have bitten her on the eye??

She is eating, digging, etc. She is definitely not lethargic. She does not have a runny nose, eyes, or mouth. She is eating like normal, and going to the bathroom like normal, so I don't think that she has any kind of disease.

Here is a link that will hopefully work so you can see her eye: http://tortoiseforum.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=0

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I had no idea we had a photo gallery on TFO.

I couldn't see anything from the picture, though someone with more experience with this will be along soon to give you better advice I am sure. Hope he's okay!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hmm same here, I find her eyes look normal. But as Petnutbutter said, someone with more experience will be along soon. Are they living in the same indoor enclosure? If yes, why dont you separate them and make a second enclosure :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Everyone who keeps turtles and tortoises needs to buy the antibiotic eye ointment. Its a miracle/wonder drug and just works absolutely GREAT for eye problems...scratches, cuts, swollen, etc. Just put a dab on the eye or eye lid three times a day and you see results in only a day or two.

eyeointment.jpg

You can either buy it from your vet or find a feed store catering to farmers (sells hay and horse feed). Its around $9 a tube. You can even buy it online.

Borys_Netasha

5 Year Member
Florence, AL
If you'll look on the picture, you can kind of see in the top left corner of her eye it's white. It's just that way, her eyes are not opened wide or anything. It's hard to get her picture, she pulls into her shell when she sees the flash. =\

I went on the Tortoise Supply site and found some. It is EXPENSIVE!! LOL. But I would rather pay a lot to make her feel better than do nothing. :) I might be able to get it from my farm vet for cheaper.. As long as it's Terramycin, it's ok, right??

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
emysemys said:
Everyone who keeps turtles and tortoises needs to buy the antibiotic eye ointment. Its a miracle/wonder drug and just works absolutely GREAT for eye problems...scratches, cuts, swollen, etc. Just put a dab on the eye or eye lid three times a day and you see results in only a day or two.

eyeointment.jpg

You can either buy it from your vet or find a feed store catering to farmers (sells hay and horse feed). Its around $9 a tube. You can even buy it online.
yvonne do you own stock in that company? LOL

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wish I did. It is so popular that it almost always sells out and you have to wait quite a while for them to make enough for distribution again.

Borys_Netasha

5 Year Member
Florence, AL
These two are my first torties so I am not sure what all is safe for them yet. I'm glad I found this site, LoL. Thanks so much for y'alls help! I'll try my vet before I buy off line. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.