Fredrick my sulcata.. is rubbing his eye sometimes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdoyle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamilton, Ontario, CAN
Hey ,
My young sulcata Fredrick seems to be rubbing at his eye occasionally...

Monday afternoon when i took him out for a soak, the same eye was staying shut, after a few minutes of soaking and him rubbing at it.. he opened it..

hasnt done that since , but he still rubs at it...

heres a photo of him rubbing

itchyeye.jpg

Is this normal?.. did he get something in his eye?..

what can you advise?

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
My Greek was doing this and after extra soaks and keeping his enclosure a bit more humid, it cleared up. So either it was just to dry in there, or he got a peice of dry substrate in the eye that was aggravating.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Brian check his humidity in his enclosure. It may be a little dry. Do you have a humid Hide set up for him, or a humid area?

bdoyle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hamilton, Ontario, CAN
Crazy1 said:
Brian check his humidity in his enclosure. It may be a little dry. Do you have a humid Hide set up for him, or a humid area?

The humidty in his enclosure ranges from 22% at his basking area, 38% in the middle section, and in the cool end... 51% in his hide.

I have nothing in his hide except the hay/cocofiber substrate.. if i need to make the hide more humid or the place in general more humid... I will mist more often.

Or if you can suggest something for me to add in his hide to improve the humidity without him feeling like he's sitting in a puddle that'd be great

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
what i ended up doing with Dozer is misting down 1/2 of his enclosure (including under the heat lamp) several times a day, and misting him down at least twice a day, plus twice a week soaks... and it finally cleared up, but it took two weeks or so.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Some people place sponges on the top of the hides and keep them most. But I'm not sure I would think 51% would be fine. Any other thought on this from Sully owners?

bdoyle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hamilton, Ontario, CAN
I was using a Sand/coco-fiber mix up until last night, so its possible some sand irritated his eye... this should be resolved if that was the case

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I don't know, I always thought it was a grooming thing, removing dead skin and such, I have some that do that when they are soaking or what not.

Status
Not open for further replies.