Baby Russian tortoises rubbing its right eye

Hey everyone so as the subject reads my little baby is rubbing its eye like crazy and it saddens me to see it in distress. Temp wise it is at 92F° and I have just started using coco coir as I have read on other forums as it seams to be the most used substrate for Russians. He has a bowl of water which is easily accessible and I am feeding him a mixture of kale, lettuce and weeds in the garden. I have also taken him to the vets and they have prescribed him with some eye drops which he has been taking for 4 days now. So I would like you advise really as it would be really appreciated

Alexio

Location (City and/or State)
Syracuse, New York
Hey everyone so as the subject reads my little baby is rubbing its eye like crazy and it saddens me to see it in distress. Temp wise it is at 92F° and I have just started using coco coir as I have read on other forums as it seams to be the most used substrate for Russians. He has a bowl of water which is easily accessible and I am feeding him a mixture of kale, lettuce and weeds in the garden. I have also taken him to the vets and they have prescribed him with some eye drops which he has been taking for 4 days now. So I would like you advise really as it would be really appreciated

What is your humidity like?
Are you soaking daily?
What kind of Coco coir are you using, bigger pieces or finer powder? What did the vet think could be causing it?
Posting pictures of your setup would help as well.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Sometimes when the coconut coir is wet, and your tortoise tries to dig down, it gets in their eyes because they're not used to burrowing. My tortoise lets me get the dirt out of her eye sometimes. It took her some practice to learn to dig without getting dirt in her eyes, even now she still does it. Can you tell if there is dirt in your tortoises eye while it is rubbing it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know you said he has access to water, but do you also soak him in a tub he can't climb out of? Daily soaks will help him stay hydrated, and will also help flush the eyes.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Does he ever open his eyes, or are they closed all of the time?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
What type of bulb do you use for UV?
Some of them, sometimes irritate tortoises eyes.
If it's a coiled bulb, change it, just to be on the safe side.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I agree that it COULD be the bulb. In the past I have had this issue along with many other members. A few days after changing the bulb they were ok.

However you should also do daily soaks to keep him hydrated. Do you have a basking bulb for him?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
That is a nice looking enclosure. Those bulbs are known to cause eye problems. Turn it off asap, and get an MVB or strip light.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
That is a nice looking enclosure. Those bulbs are known to cause eye problems. Turn it off asap, and get an MVB or strip light.
I agree. In the first instance switch that UVB off now. Your tort can manage without it for a few days.

We have seen regular cases of eye problems on TFO that have improved on replacing compact UVB with either MVB or tube UVB.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Looking at the cage picture, the tort in your hand looks much smaller than the one in the cage. Do you have 2?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
It may not be the bulb.
It could be substrate, infection, just a habit etc.
But play safe.
We've seen it a lot here.
Change the bulb.

Yes I soak him every chance I get he had a long soak today thank you for the advice on the bulb I read online before checking back on these comments and other people did mention not to use coil bulbs. Also the eye does open up from time to time, as for the humidity I will start spraying the coco coir 2 times daily as I have literally just cleaned them out