Help: Russian tortoise not opening her left eye

Geng

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

I have a little problem (at least I hope its a little innocent problem) and I hope you guys could help me:

My 1-year old Russian tortoise was enjoying her dandelion flower on her stone plate. I was watching her eat, when out of nowhere she began to rub her left eye repeatedly. I took a look at it, and she couldn't open her left eye and it was swollen. I though that she had some dirt in her eye, so I gave her a 15 min warm soak. Openend her left eye a few times for like 3 seconds during her bath, but when I put her back in her enclosure her left eye was still closed. She took a nap for a hour, and I hoped that some sleep would fix the problem. Sadly, her left eye was still closed, but she had moments that her left eye was open for few seconds. I had to go to work, but when I came back she was asleep, so I hope her eye would be normal tomorrow.

Aside the eye rubbing and closed/swollen left eye she acted normal though. Was devouring her dandelion flower when I hand feed her, reacts when she sees food coming, no sluggish movement and during her soak walking around. It just her left eye that won't open. But her left eye does open when I pick her up.

The problem happend spontaneously, and I really hope it isn't something bad that needs a vet visit (I would if it's necessary). Is it some dirt in her eye, did she poke herself in the eye during eating, was it a allergic reaction to the dandelion flower? I really don't know. Are there any medicine or eye drops that help irritated eyes for tortoises? I might get this one if the problem continues tomorrow: http://www.blue-lagoon.nl/producten/ogen/zm repti turtle eye drops (64 ml.)/097612800302

Basic info:

Substrate: 100% coco coir
Temps: Basking 95-100F, warm 85-90F, cool 75F, night 75F
Humidity: 60% when it happend
Lamps: Reptech 80W MVB
Soaks: daily

It's painful to know that my tort ain't happy because of her eye, so I really hope that it would heal tomorrow :(

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I would try a saline rinse on the eye. To me, sounds like she just got something in it. I would think it would get better fairly quickly if this is the case. Do you have and coil bulbs you are using?

Geng

5 Year Member
I would try a saline rinse on the eye. To me, sounds like she just got something in it. I would think it would get better fairly quickly if this is the case. Do you have and coil bulbs you are using?

Thanks for the response!

Okay, if the eye problem continues tomorrow I might try it. Thanks for the tip! Did you have experience with eye problem before where saline rinse was the solution?

No, I have a mercury vapor bulb. I'm aware that coil bulbs can cause eye irritation and even blindness.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I have not had eye problems. I have read this advice several times from others though. Hope it gets better soon.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
My box turtle has a bit of an eye problem like yours. I've even flushing it daily with ZooMed reptile turtle eye drops to help the inflammation for the last three or so days. The swelling has gone down quite a lot and his eye is almost always wide open now, but he still sometimes closes it and keeps it closed while his right eye is open, so I think it may still be a little sensitive still. But it's definitely better.
I have been using the turtle drops because of the swelling. I know this product is generally used when the turtle has a vit A deficiency or resp infection because the eyes swell up bad and become puss infected and can't/won't open, but my guy isn't suffering from that kind of eye problem. Basically it was cheap, couldn't find saline solution in the store, and I figured it would help with the swelling. So far so good.

Geng

5 Year Member
My box turtle has a bit of an eye problem like yours. I've even flushing it daily with ZooMed reptile turtle eye drops to help the inflammation for the last three or so days. The swelling has gone down quite a lot and his eye is almost always wide open now, but he still sometimes closes it and keeps it closed while his right eye is open, so I think it may still be a little sensitive still. But it's definitely better.
I have been using the turtle drops because of the swelling. I know this product is generally used when the turtle has a vit A deficiency or resp infection because the eyes swell up bad and become puss infected and can't/won't open, but my guy isn't suffering from that kind of eye problem. Basically it was cheap, couldn't find saline solution in the store, and I figured it would help with the swelling. So far so good.

Great, thanks for the information! My tortoise's left eye is all okay now, hope yours will heal soon as well!