Baby Russian tortoises rubbing its right eye

Linhdan Nguyen

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
So going off/extending the thread about coil bulbs and eye problems.
James, if we clear all other possible problems with your little Russian and enclosure aside from the bulb and the eye problem persist. Are you willing to change the bulb and keep it?
And Brian, would you be willing to look into the bulb and see if there are any possible issues with it?
I would really like to know why some coil bulbs cause eye problems and others don't.

Sorry about my last post. Accidentally hit send by accident.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
So going off/extending the thread about coil bulbs and eye problems.
James, if we clear all other possible problems with your little Russian and enclosure aside from the bulb and the eye problem persist. Are you willing to change the bulb and keep it?
And Brian, would you be willing to look into the bulb and see if there are any possible issues with it?
I would really like to know why some coil bulbs cause eye problems and others don't.

Sorry about my last post. Accidentally hit send by accident.

I can look at its output spectrum. But think about this rationally for a second...

There was a thread just a day ago with a small tort with similar problems. A few people asked if they were using a cfl. They were using a tube. But, you could tell, just like this thread, where everyone wanted to look.

Now, do we know how old that bulb is? Is there another tortoise in there (the one in her hand doesn't seem to be the same size as one in the pic, or have same markings). The real point is, sick torts close their eyes!

Also, did you know mercury creates the light in both CFL and MVB? They both produce UV (hence why they are used for this). Both filter the uvb out with the glass. And both have been blamed for causing UV exposure problems.

Basically, we are creating a scenario where "I've seen cfls cause issues" when this is far from certain. But everyone will remember it as a cfl problem.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Yes I will change it ASAP, now that I have turned the bulb off he/she or whatever it is has stopped rubbing its eye

Here is a GREAT EXAMPLE. If it was experiencing damage to the retina from this bulb, relief would NOT be instant. And timing-wise, I smell a rat. Problem solved in 56 minutes from original post?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The reality is that if a coil UVB is involved and a tort has eye problems then it is very simple to turn it off and see if things improve in the next week or so.

If they do improve, then replace it. If they don't then look for another problem.

A tort won't come to any harm without UVB for a week or so.

No point everyone fighting about it.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
G-stars I don't have a heat bulb but I do have a heat mat which is under a big piece of heat resistant glass

It's best to have a basking light. The basking temp should be between 95F-100F. This COULD be another issue as to why your tortoise is doing this.

Is this tortoise sharing the enclosure with another one. I agree with Brian that it COULD be a factor.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
The reality is that if a coil UVB is involved and a tort has eye problems then it is very simple to turn it off and see if things improve in the next week or so.

If they do improve, then replace it. If they don't then look for another problem.

A tort won't come to any harm without UVB for a week or so.

No point everyone fighting about it.
Except you miss the real issue. Like multiple torts in one enclosure. The fact he was talking about using sand not long ago. A new baby on coco coir that came from ??? A newly moved tort that is not used to the new cage. All creating a false narrative.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
I can look at its output spectrum. But think about this rationally for a second...

There was a thread just a day ago with a small tort with similar problems. A few people asked if they were using a cfl. They were using a tube. But, you could tell, just like this thread, where everyone wanted to look.

Now, do we know how old that bulb is? Is there another tortoise in there (the one in her hand doesn't seem to be the same size as one in the pic, or have same markings). The real point is, sick torts close their eyes!

Also, did you know mercury creates the light in both CFL and MVB? They both produce UV (hence why they are used for this). Both filter the uvb out with the glass. And both have been blamed for causing UV exposure problems.

Basically, we are creating a scenario where "I've seen cfls cause issues" when this is far from certain. But everyone will remember it as a cfl problem.
I understand what you mean and youre right, we are quick to jump yo the bulb. And i saw you ask if there was another tort in the enclosure. Which is why i asked that if we "solve" the other possible issues (length of bulb use, humidty, temp, substrate, etc.) and the problem persists, would you be willing to look at the bulb?
But if the bulb is already removed and the thread closed, then i guess we move on and wait.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I understand what you mean and youre right, we are quick to jump yo the bulb. And i saw you ask if there was another tort in the enclosure. Which is why i asked that if we "solve" the other possible issues (length of bulb use, humidty, temp, substrate, etc.) and the problem persists, would you be willing to look at the bulb?
But if the bulb is already removed and the thread closed, then i guess we move on and wait.

Exactly. Let's say they do this:

Remove the cfl.
Compact the coco coir.
Separate the torts.
Correct humidity (this open top tank is likely too dry).
Any other items....

A month later "Yeah, I removed the cfl and all was good 56 minutes later (which isn't enough time for UVC retinal damage to even marginally correct itself). Damn CFLs"!

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
OP mentions in original post that tortoise is rubbing at its eyes like crazy. From my experience this correlates with my experience and coiled bulbs hence the request for a picture of the bulb.

Also OP has other threads. OP doesn't seem like a rat..

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
And yes, I could test the bulb and I'd even use it with my tort!

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
OP mentions in original post that tortoise is rubbing at its eyes like crazy. From my experience this correlates with my experience and coiled bulbs hence the request for a picture of the bulb.

Also OP has other threads. OP doesn't seem like a rat..

Explain how retinas heal in 56 minutes. That isn't something I can seem to find.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Here is a GREAT EXAMPLE. If it was experiencing damage to the retina from this bulb, relief would NOT be instant. And timing-wise, I smell a rat. Problem solved in 56 minutes from original post?

I agree. Issue can't be solved in 56 minutes. Maybe OP is just being optimistic. Optimistic doesn't equal a rat though...

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
And yes, I could test the bulb and I'd even use it with my tort!

I've offered one before. In another thread. I even asked you to pm. Never received anything.

However I want to solve the problem so I want to work with you and figure out what the heck is going on. So my offer still stands. PM me if you want the bulb.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I generally leave threads where the people get, um, off the wall. Best to PM me something if you want to ensure I see it.

But this was a great example to see why some say "I've seen it happen" when these unfounded events take place. We could, again, try to apply some logic.

1. How many torts are in there?
2. How old is the bulb?
3. When did substrate change happen?
4. When was this tort put in this enclosure?

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I agree. I don't want to fault the bulb in every scenario. Sometimes there are bigger issues to fix and/or take into consideration. I'll send you a PM.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
OK, we got to answers that are way more suspect. Lets explore those.

1. Two torts. How old is the other tort? It looks much bigger. Is it rubbing its eyes?
2. You just changed the bedding. What was it before?