Watched a movie tonight that made me think....Should pot be legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
LOL! Oh well if your kids turned out okay maybe there is hope for mine :). Mine have not started growing plants yet.

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
I have no problem with pot. First of all it comes from the earth. Cigarettes are worse for you and they are legal. There are so many legal perscription medications that do the sam ething if not more to the body than pot. I used to work oncology and there were wo many patients that used pot to help their pain and with pot they were able to eat again. If we (the U.S.) were more like Amsterdam, I really don't think that we would have such a bad drug problem. I think that if more people smoked a bowl now and then, perhaps this would be a much happier place.

Just my thoughts.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
here in colorado, you cant go a block down the street without seeing a dispensary! a couple years ago, weed was a HUGE thing! now that it is semi-legal, its not a big deal at all! and there are way less if any crimes involving it. i honestly don't see why it still is illegal, their just wasting money and jail space for stupid minor offenses that shouldn't be a crime in the first place. save that for the real crimes! i myself do not smoke it and don't plan on it. but i am fine with it. ( i have a bigger problem with alcohol than marijuana) i have had 5 friends killed by drunk drivers in the past couple years. weed does not impair someone from driving like other things!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
In California the rules on driving after smoking are not real clear. You can get a DUI even if you haven't smoked for many hours because it stays in your blood stream. That is even if you have a card.
I have not seen one person here against it, even though most have said they don't smoke. That is very interesting. I wonder what results I would get from F/B? Do I dare let people in my community know I think about such things?! Maybe tomorrow.....

DocNezzy

5 Year Member
Alcohol is much worse for you than marijuana. I recently visited Amsterdam, and the most of the use there is by tourist. Talking to locals, it isn't a big deal and most only use on occasion. By taking the TABOO factor out of the equation, you make it less desirable. It could no longer be used as a rebellion tool. I know many people who are extremely successful that still smoke. I can not, but maybe when I'm retired and just chillin' on the front porch! :)

I would much rather see people smoke than drink. Let people do what they want with their bodies. And we do have a choice in the matter. VOTE!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
No offense but I don't want to be like amsterdam, just legalize it, and let citizens who want to smoke it do it in the privacy of their own homes.

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
can you imagine how many small businesses would sprout up if you could sell pot legally? Im currently watching Weeds on showtime...

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
George Washington and many of the original "Americans" grew it...good enough for them, good enough for us.

BTW, the first pot laws were passed to keep black folks "in their place", back during the Jazz Age...look it up!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I don't care if they legalize it or not. I would never smoke it either. I don't drink or do anything that alters my mind in any way. I tried it and didn't like it. I have enough trouble concentrating as it is.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
terryo said:
Every night my husband would tell my boys to pull the "weeds" growing in back of the pool. This went on for half the Summer. Most of the time we didn't see my husband, as he was climbing the ladder of success....out drinking with the boss every night. One Saturday, he was home and the "weeds" by this time were about 6 feet high. I heard the usual speech...."Can't you do anything with these kids?" I was abiding my time waiting to see how big "the weeds" would get and what was going to be done with them when they finished growing. They were really beautiful plants, and if you know me, you know how I love plants. Finally he couldn't take it any more and he pulled out all the weeds and chopped them up and put them in a big garbage pail in front of the house. I had to move fast, before we all got arrested, so I called my oldest son and told him to find his brothers and get home and get the "weeds" out of here fast. Don't hate me......I was a cool Mom. Just a fun story.
My sons are extremely successful and have a family owned business that does very well. I've never seen them smoke the stuff, but ..................
I too hate when the Government tells me what to put in my body....or anything else.

Too funny Terry. :D My second oldest also planted a seed last year and for some reason didn't think that I'd know what it was. :D Stupid. :p Like you I did not want to kill the plant so I had him move it out of sight from my younger children. To his surprise it grew a bud and that was that. After that I got rid of it because although I might agree that adults can do what they want with themselves I still feel an obligation to my younger ones to teach them about every drug that will come available to them soon enough. I like to teach both sides of things.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I have no desire to use it either. I used it as a teenager and it made me laugh, eat and go to sleep. I do feel that I may have been wrong to look down on those that smoke when I enjoy my wine.
And to think wine is probably worse.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Candy said:
terryo said:
Every night my husband would tell my boys to pull the "weeds" growing in back of the pool. This went on for half the Summer. Most of the time we didn't see my husband, as he was climbing the ladder of success....out drinking with the boss every night. One Saturday, he was home and the "weeds" by this time were about 6 feet high. I heard the usual speech...."Can't you do anything with these kids?" I was abiding my time waiting to see how big "the weeds" would get and what was going to be done with them when they finished growing. They were really beautiful plants, and if you know me, you know how I love plants. Finally he couldn't take it any more and he pulled out all the weeds and chopped them up and put them in a big garbage pail in front of the house. I had to move fast, before we all got arrested, so I called my oldest son and told him to find his brothers and get home and get the "weeds" out of here fast. Don't hate me......I was a cool Mom. Just a fun story.
My sons are extremely successful and have a family owned business that does very well. I've never seen them smoke the stuff, but ..................
I too hate when the Government tells me what to put in my body....or anything else.

Too funny Terry. :D My second oldest also planted a seed last year and for some reason didn't think that I'd know what it was. :D Stupid. :p Like you I did not want to kill the plant so I had him move it out of sight from my younger children. To his surprise it grew a bud and that was that. After that I got rid of it because although I might agree that adults can do what they want with themselves I still feel an obligation to my younger ones to teach them about every drug that will come available to them soon enough. I like to teach both sides of things.

I absolutely agree with you Candy. One big problem than I had when mine were growing up was that they were all less then 2 years apart, and became a combined force. :D

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
I have been trying to stay out of this convo,But alas, I had to put my 2 cents in.
what got to me was the "it come on it comes from the earth", so does ricin! Ricin, from the castor oil plant Ricinus communis, is a highly toxic, naturally occurring protein. A dose as small as a few grains of salt can kill an adult so that is a rediculous reasoning. Shrooms also come from the earth, many toxic and deadly things come from the earth.
I don't like anything that changes a persons ability to make good decisions. I don't like being told what to do by the govt., however I like knowing that if a pot head or drug addict is interfering with my lifestyle or the family friendly neighborhood I live in, that I can rely on the government to do something about it.
No one wants the governments opinion, but everyone wants the governments help! And yes the government pays my bills, I work 50 hours a week for the government, I risk my life to stop pot heads from ruining my area. Sorry I don't agree with the pot should be legal idea, I don't have all of the answers, but I feel pretty safe saying that is not the answer.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I don't drink, nor do I smoke cigarettes or marijuana. However, as a Libertarian, I think people should be free to do so in private, so long as it is not bothering me. I think America's bias against pot is both cultural and political, but it's a big waste of federal resources to try and enforce it. I say we should decriminalize pot.

You should add a poll to this thread, so we can see the breakdown of where people stand on this issue.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Jenn~ I did not start this thread because I wanted to hear"pot is fine" I wanted to hear ALL oppinions. I appriciate your contribution. My husband broght up oleander, mushrooms and cocaine when we had this discussion with a member of our family. My biggest thought for why it should be legal is I don't think it is as bad as alcohol and I think there would be less crime it it was legal. As a ultra conservative this is a new thought for me.

Geo~ Good idea:) How do I do that?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
wrmitchell22 said:
I have been trying to stay out of this convo,But alas, I had to put my 2 cents in.
what got to me was the "it come on it comes from the earth", so does ricin! Ricin, from the castor oil plant Ricinus communis, is a highly toxic, naturally occurring protein. A dose as small as a few grains of salt can kill an adult so that is a rediculous reasoning. Shrooms also come from the earth, many toxic and deadly things come from the earth.
I don't like anything that changes a persons ability to make good decisions. I don't like being told what to do by the govt., however I like knowing that if a pot head or drug addict is interfering with my lifestyle or the family friendly neighborhood I live in, that I can rely on the government to do something about it.
No one wants the governments opinion, but everyone wants the governments help! And yes the government pays my bills, I work 50 hours a week for the government, I risk my life to stop pot heads from ruining my area. Sorry I don't agree with the pot should be legal idea, I don't have all of the answers, but I feel pretty safe saying that is not the answer.
This would have to be a whole different debate...but....I don't know what kind of work you do, but does the Government pay your bills or do the taxpayers? The Government, who is supposed to be for the people and by the people, seems to be taking over our lives. They passed a law now saying that you can't sit outside in a Park and smoke cigarettes. So now they are taking over even the air. There are many drugs that induce crime, but I really don't think pot is one of them. I do respect your opinion though.

Another thought......For a few years I was involved with counseling and group therapy at the Y. I talked with kids who spent time in jail, rehabs, and community service. Most, at that time, were there for crack, which was the most popular drug at the time, and pills. None were there for pot. Most kids, I've found, who are totally into pot, are introverts. They will sit in there room for hours and smoke. Rarely do you see one out in the street with a gun robbing a store to get money for pot. Here in NY, pot is so easy to get...you can grow it yourself. It's cheap too.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
I know I am in the minority on my opinions, but I am okay with that :) I totally respect others opinions, but as long as it is against the law I will continue to enforce that law. Maybe you could be right, I just have a hard time visualizing the legal pot america. Who knows? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.