Watched a movie tonight that made me think....Should pot be legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
terryo california passed a law recently that you can't smoke in your own car if you have children under 18 in there with you, how that passed constitutional wise is beyond me, that is why I fear big government.
My apologies for going OT.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Ok David that is a can of worms for me :) I think it is a child safty thing. I grew up in a house or car full of smoke. I got asthma as an adult and have had some lung problems. My parents just didn't think they were risking our health.

Jenn~I really thought your oppinion would be the majority. I haven't put this question on my F/B page yet but I bet the answers will be much different. In California it is legal with a medical use card which anyone can get, from what I hear.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
dmmj said:
terryo california passed a law recently that you can't smoke in your own car if you have children under 18 in there with you, how that passed constitutional wise is beyond me, that is why I fear big government.
My apologies for going OT.

I am totally okay with any law that protects children from their parents or caregivers ignorance or selfishness, sorry, but why should you have the right to expose your kids to that, it is ignorant. It sucks that a law like that is needed, because so many kids are suffering from their own parents addictions. I suppose child seats laws are rediculous too?! Just my opinion, I think laws that protect those who cannot protect themselves are justified :) I totally respect that you may think smoking in a car with a child in it is okay, sadly you are mistaken

Angi said:
Ok David that is a can of worms for me :) I think it is a child safty thing. I grew up in a house or car full of smoke. I got asthma as an adult and have had some lung problems. My parents just didn't think they were risking our health.

Jenn~I really thought your oppinion would be the majority. I haven't put this question on my F/B page yet but I bet the answers will be much different. In California it is legal with a medical use card which anyone can get, from what I hear.

I think in Cali it is definatley easier to get, but AZ isn't far behind, they legalized it for medical reasons here recently. It may fix the violence that goes with it, I just don't know :( I agree with your safety issue comment also, as I am sure you can tell ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sure that David wasn't condoning doing something harmful to children. What the point is is that parents should take it upon themselves to think of their children's safety...not government making laws about it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I did not say it was ok but I don't think the government has the right to decide how your kids are raised, that is how stupid nanny state laws start, well it is for he children. every time I hear that I cringe. Remember the 4 inch turtle law was passed for the children, when you say any law that protects the children, that means that you think the government can raise your kids better than you, sorry I don't agree with that. Where does it stop telling you what foods your kids can or can't eat, what activities they can't do? Where does it stop.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
emysemys said:
I'm sure that David wasn't condoning doing something harmful to children. What the point is is that parents should take it upon themselves to think of their children's safety...not government making laws about it.

They should, but they don't always. I have pulled people over in AZ that had a baby in a car seat sliding around in the back of a pick up truck, also a family of 8 stuffed into a toyota sedan with 2 and 3 years olds on the laps of people. These were on an interstate not a rural back road. And noone was in the back of the pick up with the child, the temp that night was 45! It is very sad that laws protecting children are needed, but thinking people will do the right thing just isn't reality :(

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I have often thought about the fact that so many safety issuse have to become laws before people except that something is unsafe. I know I have gone off topic now....but I think most of us over 35 or 40 grew up living in a smokey house, not wearing seat belts, riding in the back of pick-up trucks ( sometimes with drunk parents driving), with way to many kids piled in a car and nobody thought there was anything wrong with it. Why does a law have to pass before we except something as unsafe? My dad usedto sa "I can drive after a couple beers better than most people can on a cell phone" Yet at the time that was legal.

I hope I don't offend anyone. I am not offended by any oppinions I have heard. But I do like to hear what other have to say.

Sulcatifornia

5 Year Member
San Diego, California
wrmitchell22 said:
emysemys said:

They should, but they don't always. I have pulled people over in AZ that had a baby in a car seat sliding around in the back of a pick up truck, also a family of 8 stuffed into a toyota sedan with 2 and 3 years olds on the laps of people. These were on an interstate not a rural back road. And noone was in the back of the pick up with the child, the temp that night was 45! It is very sad that laws protecting children are needed, but thinking people will do the right thing just isn't reality :(

SOME people cant afford nice big family vehicles. They do what they need to to get by. How much did it cost them financially for breaking those laws? I'm sure THAT didn't help them get a safer vehicle. Sometimes "laws" don't actually make lives better or safer. I'm positive you've done things in your life that have not been legal because you felt you needed to or had to, you just didn't get pulled over for it or caught.

Sorry to go OT Angi.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
No worries Alyssa Interesting thought. I don't agree to some point, but I agree that things can be hard when families don't have money.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
As for smoking dope- I am a pretty conservative, old-fashioned guy, but I think that any drug that has characteristics that are roughly similar to alcohol and tobacco may as well be legal. I am pretty sick and tired of expending the money in the US in the drug war for Drug X, while Drugs Y and Z are perfectly OK and can be purchased and used by anyone old enough. It just seems dumb.

As for nanny state laws, like motorcycle helmets and child protection laws... I am of two minds. In all too many cases, the government DOES know how to raise your kid better than you do, sadly. I think we need a certain amount of laws to protect us from stupidity, laziness, greed, etc.

Want to ride a chopper with no helmet? I say go for it- as long as there is a law that says that absolutely NONE of my money goes to help your medical bills if you get hurt- no medicaid, no subsidized care, no 'freebies' from the hospital (which I pay for in higher rates), etc. Only your own insurance, the cash in your account, or the money your friends and family can raise. This is a basic variation on the concept that 'your right to free expression ends where my nose begins'.

Kids, however... this is tougher. Lots of kids suffer because their parents are unable to do their parenting jobs well. Maybe they are too poor, too uneducated, too unaware, too selfish, too dumb or ignorant, or whatever, but innocent kids suffering deserve some assistance from a compassionate society. Someone once said something like the primary role of government is to protect those that cannot protect themselves, and children are the ultimate example of this.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Madkins007 said:
As for smoking dope- I am a pretty conservative, old-fashioned guy, but I think that any drug that has characteristics that are roughly similar to alcohol and tobacco may as well be legal. I am pretty sick and tired of expending the money in the US in the drug war for Drug X, while Drugs Y and Z are perfectly OK and can be purchased and used by anyone old enough. It just seems dumb.

As for nanny state laws, like motorcycle helmets and child protection laws... I am of two minds. In all too many cases, the government DOES know how to raise your kid better than you do, sadly. I think we need a certain amount of laws to protect us from stupidity, laziness, greed, etc.

Want to ride a chopper with no helmet? I say go for it- as long as there is a law that says that absolutely NONE of my money goes to help your medical bills if you get hurt- no medicaid, no subsidized care, no 'freebies' from the hospital (which I pay for in higher rates), etc. Only your own insurance, the cash in your account, or the money your friends and family can raise. This is a basic variation on the concept that 'your right to free expression ends where my nose begins'.

Kids, however... this is tougher. Lots of kids suffer because their parents are unable to do their parenting jobs well. Maybe they are too poor, too uneducated, too unaware, too selfish, too dumb or ignorant, or whatever, but innocent kids suffering deserve some assistance from a compassionate society. Someone once said something like the primary role of government is to protect those that cannot protect themselves, and children are the ultimate example of this.

Very well put Mark!!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
WOW Mark I can't believe someone else thinks like me. Except I also do not want my insuranse affected if you are not wearing a seat belt. Also....why do people not get that something is unsafe unless the goverment tells them it is. The goverment allows many things that people would not do if the goverment said it was unsafe, but our corrupt FDA and goverment say it is safe so we go ahead and use it. Tanning beds, Nutra Sweet, and grocery store milk are three things that come to mind that probably are unsafe. I don't like having to fight with the school so my 17 year old doesn't have to get a vaccination. Why is that the schools business?

Let me take one thing back I do think that MOST people can raise their kids better than the goverment, but I don't think kids should go unprotected from stupid, mean horrible peole.

Exhofmei

5 Year Member
Im new here, but this is an interesting topic and something I am very passionate about. I am an activist in the legalization and speak at different events and festivals on the matter. I am a 24 year old college student with a great job in health insurance and my finances aren't a problem. (for a 24 yr old at least ;)) I'm an avid user and have been for 8 years. Daily :) Obviously, there are users with a bad rap and slump around like potatoes! But I speak to let everyone know that some of us can still use and not let it define our lives! As with everything, moderation is definitely key! Alcohol takes more lives than any other drug, I think that speaks for itself! All that aside, I think we have bigger problems... because marijuana is not legal, people are now smoking "inscents" (which are not inscents!) to get the same effect! Your 10 yr old can walk into your local convenience store and purchase it with no questions asked!! Its much more dangerous and has actually caused death... and this IS legal!! Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.