Went out tonight and ate Vegan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
You're right Chad, but I always associate eggs with dairy, but believe me when I say I can't eat them anymore because they make me sick within an hour of eating them. :(

Sudhira

5 Year Member
I am feeling as though this thread is about eating vegan/vegetarian, not debating whether it is right or wrong. Perhaps a thread in "Debatable topics" might satiet the appetites those of you whom wish to degrade vegan/vegetarian choices.

I hope we can keep the topics to recipes and such. I'm telling you I make some "killer" vegan food, hahaha.

For vegans only:

one of my signature desserts:

IMG_0442.jpg

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
That looks delicious, but where's the recipe? I hope it's not one that you can't give away and you're just teasing us. :p I just had a vegetable lasagna that was very good for dinner. I can't share the recipe with you because I bought it at Trader Joe's. :p I will soon try my first vegan recipe and I bet my children hope that it's that desert that you posted. :D

Chad, do we have any "Goats milk yet"? :D And tell me our you going to attempt to make goat cheese? If you do I'll send you my address and you can send me some. :D My doctor told me if I'm to eat any cheese to make it goat cheese. That it wouldn't effect me the same way as the cheeses made with cow's milk.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Sudhira said:
I am feeling as though this thread is about eating vegan/vegetarian, not debating whether it is right or wrong. Perhaps a thread in "Debatable topics" might satiet the appetites those of you whom wish to degrade vegan/vegetarian choices.

Thank you for that. (Although I hope there is not a thread created in Debatable topics about this...only because it's something I'm extremely passionate about and I can become a scary person when I defend my beliefs ;))

I made a vegan chocolate cake once and it was a m a z i n g.

Candy said:
I just had a vegetable lasagna that was very good for dinner. I can't share the recipe with you because I bought it at Trader Joe's. :p

I have tried a few veggie lasagnas from Trader Joe's and they were all delicious :)

chadk

10 Year Member!
Candy said:
Chad, do we have any "Goats milk yet"? :D And tell me our you going to attempt to make goat cheese? If you do I'll send you my address and you can send me some. :D My doctor told me if I'm to eat any cheese to make it goat cheese. That it wouldn't effect me the same way as the cheeses made with cow's milk.

Is goat milk vegan? I know it is healthier in general than cows milk. Espeically store bought from big commercial farms... And i know that folks who have a hard time digesting cows milk, or just allergic to it, do much better with goat milk (and other goat dairy products like cheese).

We won't have milk until late spring or early summer...

Oh, and to stay on topic a bit more.... my goats are pretty much vegan :)

Sudhira

5 Year Member
I am happy to post the recipe for you all...you will love it, it is called

Chocolate-Almond Midnight ( Sascha Weiss )
Makes one 8-inch cake; serves 12

INGREDIENTS

Cashew Crust
1/3 cup unsalted cashew nuts
3 T Sucanat or brown sugar
3 T canola oil
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp. sea salt
Chocolate Mousse
2 cups non-dairy chocolate chips (malt-sweetened are my favorite)
24.6 oz (2 boxes) extra-firm low fat silken tofu (Mori-Nu is best)
3/4 cup sucanat/brown sugar
1 t vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. sea salt
Maple Almond Praline
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 cup slivered almonds
Raspberry Sauce
2 cups fresh or 11 oz unsweetened frozen raspberries
1/4 cup sucanat/brown sugar

Fresh fruit, to garnish
Cocoa, to garnish
Mint, to garnish

METHOD

Cashew Crust
Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly oil an 8-inch round springform or false bottom pan.

In a food processor, grind the cashews until they resemble fine meal. Add the sugar, oil and vanilla. Process again until well combined.

In a small bowl, stir the flour and salt together. Add the cashew mixture and mix into the flour, beginning with a spatula and ending with your hands.

Press the crust into the prepared pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until light brown and dry.

Chocolate Mousse
In a double boiler over barely simmering water, melt the chocolate chips.

In a blender or food processor combine the tofu, sugar, vanilla and salt. Process, then add the melted chocolate and blend for 2 minutes or until very smooth and completely combined.

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Lightly oil the sides of the cake pan above the pre-baked crust. Pour the mousse mixture into the pan and bake for 35 minutes.

Let cool for 10 minutes, then run a paring knife around the inside of the pan. Let the cake cool to the touch, refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Un-mold just before serving.

Maple Almond Praline
In a heavy bottomed saucepan, bring the maple syrup to a boil. Boil for 1 minute. Add the almonds and stir constantly until the maple syrup has completely crystallized onto the almonds and the almonds appear dry. Pour the almonds onto a baking sheet and let cool. Store in an airtight container.

Raspberry Sauce
In a blender, combine the raspberries and sugar, then blend to a smooth sauce. Strain the sauce through a fine meshed sieve.

To serve, cut the cake into 12 pieces. For each serving, pool raspberry sauce on a plate and top with a slice of cake. Top with 1 T maple almond praline and garnish with fresh fruit, sprinkled cocoa powder and a sprig of fresh mint leaves.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
vegan = no animal by products what so ever, I don't agree with it just explaining, so goat's milk is not vegan.

chadk

10 Year Member!
I know it is not vegan. I was just making sure I stayed somewhat on topic...

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Sudhira said:
I am happy to post the recipe for you all...you will love it, it is called

Chocolate-Almond Midnight ( Sascha Weiss )
Makes one 8-inch cake; serves 12

INGREDIENTS

Cashew Crust
1/3 cup unsalted cashew nuts
3 T Sucanat or brown sugar
3 T canola oil
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp. sea salt
Chocolate Mousse
2 cups non-dairy chocolate chips (malt-sweetened are my favorite)
24.6 oz (2 boxes) extra-firm low fat silken tofu (Mori-Nu is best)
3/4 cup sucanat/brown sugar
1 t vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. sea salt
Maple Almond Praline
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 cup slivered almonds
Raspberry Sauce
2 cups fresh or 11 oz unsweetened frozen raspberries
1/4 cup sucanat/brown sugar

Fresh fruit, to garnish
Cocoa, to garnish
Mint, to garnish

METHOD

Cashew Crust
Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly oil an 8-inch round springform or false bottom pan.

In a food processor, grind the cashews until they resemble fine meal. Add the sugar, oil and vanilla. Process again until well combined.

In a small bowl, stir the flour and salt together. Add the cashew mixture and mix into the flour, beginning with a spatula and ending with your hands.

Press the crust into the prepared pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until light brown and dry.

Chocolate Mousse
In a double boiler over barely simmering water, melt the chocolate chips.

In a blender or food processor combine the tofu, sugar, vanilla and salt. Process, then add the melted chocolate and blend for 2 minutes or until very smooth and completely combined.

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Lightly oil the sides of the cake pan above the pre-baked crust. Pour the mousse mixture into the pan and bake for 35 minutes.

Let cool for 10 minutes, then run a paring knife around the inside of the pan. Let the cake cool to the touch, refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Un-mold just before serving.

Maple Almond Praline
In a heavy bottomed saucepan, bring the maple syrup to a boil. Boil for 1 minute. Add the almonds and stir constantly until the maple syrup has completely crystallized onto the almonds and the almonds appear dry. Pour the almonds onto a baking sheet and let cool. Store in an airtight container.

Raspberry Sauce
In a blender, combine the raspberries and sugar, then blend to a smooth sauce. Strain the sauce through a fine meshed sieve.

To serve, cut the cake into 12 pieces. For each serving, pool raspberry sauce on a plate and top with a slice of cake. Top with 1 T maple almond praline and garnish with fresh fruit, sprinkled cocoa powder and a sprig of fresh mint leaves.

I will be trying that this weekend. It sounds wonderful and thank you for posting the recipe. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.