Went out tonight and ate Vegan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
I went to a new restaurant in Pasadena tonight. I've been wanting to try it for a while now. It's a vegan restaurant and wow was the food good. Ever since I saw the movie (that I had written a thread about earlier) Food Inc., and now reading a book that my nurse friend at work loaned to me (The China Study) and after the PETA thing on here a few months ago I've been wanting to change the way that I'm eating. So for the last two weeks I've cut my meat or chicken eating more then half and have been choosing other things like meatless tacos or hummus and crackers and fruit with yogurt and nuts. I've already cut out most of the wheat gluten from what I eat so why not give this a try. I decided a long time ago that I would be my own experiment and that's how I would find out the answers that I've been looking for. My nurse friend is trying to go vegan (we are both the same age 49) and she has some health issues and her doctor wanted to put her on a Chemo drug to deal with a problem that they can't figure out yet and she told them to let her try this first. She says that after two weeks she has lost some of the swelling in her legs and is in a better mood. Who would have ever guessed that a non animal product would taste so good. Now if I could only bring home their chefs to cook all of those dishes for me I'd have it made. Now I know we have quite a few vegetarians vegans on this site so lets post some recipes that I could try to cook myself. :D

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
Good on you, I a,ways say to my friends just becuase its vegan or veggie doesnt mean you cant eat there!
Meat free monday is a campagne designed for meat eaters not to eat on a monday, and this helps reduce the number of killing of animals, my family supports me on this day! :)

Glad you enjoyed

xx

Do you have QUORN in the states or LINDA MCARTNEY?
They good o do recepies!

xx

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
Good for you. I have always thought that not eating meat was a good moral standard and way of living, but i just couldn't hack it myself :p . I have tried a few times, and it has only ever lasted a week or so but i do eat non meat dinners about twice a week. One of my friends is vegetarian and she uses a lot of Quorn products, you can have it in fajhita, stir fry, cottage pie, all sorts. And you know, it tastes good :) . And don't forget to supplement if your cutting out meat entirely, lots of grains and pulses, liquid iorn is a good and will perk you up, milk thistle supplement if your cutting out dairy alltogether, and soya milk is better than rice milk (both taste and nutritionally).

Sudhira

5 Year Member
Kymiie said:
Good on you, I a,ways say to my friends just becuase its vegan or veggie doesnt mean you cant eat there!
Meat free monday is a campagne designed for meat eaters not to eat on a monday, and this helps reduce the number of killing of animals, my family supports me on this day! :)

Glad you enjoyed

xx

Do you have QUORN in the states or LINDA MCARTNEY?
They good o do recepies!

xx

QUORN is not vegan, it has egg product in it.

Here is what we call our "Vegan Fast Food" dinner:

1 box meatless vegan alternative
1 package of Sukhi's Indian spice paste, curry, korma, or vindaloo
1 package frozen vegetable rice ( we use Trader Joe's )

Stir fry the meatless meat in the paste which has been reconstituted with water as per directions. Cook about 10 minutes, pour over rice, serve with steamed broccoli...YUM

2 boxes of extra firm silken tofu
spin it around in the cuisinart

add 1/4 cup rapadura or sucanat. 1 t vanilla, spin a bit more

add 2 cups of melted vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMY!!!!! You can do a millions things with this base dessert!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Thanks for the recipes I can't wait to try some. I'm going to go to Whole Foods and get some stuff today to try. I read somewhere that people used to eat meat or chicken once to twice a week, but now we eat meat 2 to 3 times a day. They're right we do. So that's changing with me. My nurse friend told me the other day that she didn't know what results she would get from this and I told her "Well it's certainly not going to hurt you". I used to think that vegan was unhealthy, but I guess I didn't really do my research. :) That's what I'm going to start on now. :)

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
SUDHIRA
I know it isnt vegan, but nore is Candy a full vegan just yet, was only sugesting!

xx

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Good for you for making healthier choices :)
I've been a strict vegetarian (almost vegan but I will eat food with traces of dairy etc.) for over 3 years and it's the best thing I've ever done for myself! I initially stopped eating meat because I'm a huge animal lover and I can't stand what goes on in slaughterhouses. The way the animals are treated is horrible...I watched the first minute of the video Meet Your Meat and I vowed that I would never eat an animal ever again.
I also own the book The China Study- great book!
vegweb.com is a website with veg*n recipes. http://vegweb.com/index.php?action=recipecategories
veggieboards.com is a forum full of information. I don't think you can join unless you're planning on becoming a vegetarian but you can still read the posts!

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
One of my favorite restaurants near my house is only vegetarian and vegan... Veggie based foods can taste the best!

Sudhira

5 Year Member
Kymiie said:
SUDHIRA
I know it isnt vegan, but nore is Candy a full vegan just yet, was only sugesting!

xx

Right, I was actually eating Quorn without reading the ingredients, it is yummy, but boo, has egg.

chadk

10 Year Member!
What is wrong with eating an egg? I have a dozen chickens who give me fresh eggs every day. If I did not eat them, they would simply rot as they are not fertilized. Should I let them rot?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
ChiKat said:
Good for you for making healthier choices :)
I've been a strict vegetarian (almost vegan but I will eat food with traces of dairy etc.) for over 3 years and it's the best thing I've ever done for myself! I initially stopped eating meat because I'm a huge animal lover and I can't stand what goes on in slaughterhouses. The way the animals are treated is horrible...I watched the first minute of the video Meet Your Meat and I vowed that I would never eat an animal ever again.
I also own the book The China Study- great book!
vegweb.com is a website with veg*n recipes. http://vegweb.com/index.php?action=recipecategories
veggieboards.com is a forum full of information. I don't think you can join unless you're planning on becoming a vegetarian but you can still read the posts!

Thanks so much for the websites they will be very useful. I haven't finished The China Study yet but my husband now is reading it too.

Kymiie said:
Candy if you are willing to eat quorn try...
www.quorn.co.uk
It gives you some recepies on there :)
Bon a petit!

xx

I will definitely read about it thanks. :D

chadk said:
What is wrong with eating an egg? I have a dozen chickens who give me fresh eggs every day. If I did not eat them, they would simply rot as they are not fertilized. Should I let them rot?

Actually Chad I'm allergic to eggs so that's why I don't eat them. I used to love them though. :(

chadk

10 Year Member!
Have you tried organic free range eggs? A friend of mine is allergic to store bought eggs, but can eat my eggs just fine :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
This is true Chad. We used to have chickens and ducks, and I would give the eggs to my friend who was allergic to eggs. She never had a problem with our fresh eggs.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
chadk said:
Have you tried organic free range eggs? A friend of mine is allergic to store bought eggs, but can eat my eggs just fine :)

I only buy organic eggs, but I was tested (through a blood test) a few years back and am unfortunately allergic to a lot of dairy products.

Sudhira

5 Year Member
chadk said:
It is not about right or wrong chadk, some people choose not to eat animal products, eggs are animal product therefore, not on the menu.

We have a fabulous local egg ranch, they do not fill the chickens with crappy food, antibiotics etc nor do they keep the layers trapped in tiny cages whereby their feet never touch the Earth...I partake of their eggs from time to time...

It is personal choices...I think I might raise some chicken this year..they are so cute!

If you choose not to eat eggs, there is a great product called 'Egg Replacer' by "Ener-G" foods. I use it in cookies, baking ...it works great!

chadk

10 Year Member!
"a good moral standard and way of living"

It sounded as if some folks were saying it is a moral issue... Glad to hear I read that wrong...

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
I only eat organic sand,natural air and spring water.I could never eat a defenseless little plant that doesn't even have legs to run away on.But that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.