Toxic? Mushroom?

turts&torts

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Hey everyone! Over the last … (2?) days this gross cauliflower looking mushroom (?) has popped up in one of my EBT enclosures. Anyone have this occur before? In 7ish years I haven’t! D6C1C589-820E-455F-A9D8-807964E3317D.jpeg

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Pull it and keep an eye from others. You may have had a stray spore. Obviously you have a most excellent humid setup!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey everyone! Over the last … (2?) days this gross cauliflower looking mushroom (?) has popped up in one of my EBT enclosures. Anyone have this occur before? In 7ish years I haven’t! View attachment 345679
The problem with mushrooms is that some of them are deadly toxic, and others that look nearly identical are harmless and edible. Even professional mycologists sometimes have trouble differentiating them. I would remove it and keep an eye out for any more. I often remove some of the substrate from that area when I pull those out.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
The problem with mushrooms is that some of them are deadly toxic, and others that look nearly identical are harmless and edible. Even professional mycologists sometimes have trouble differentiating them. I would remove it and keep an eye out for any more. I often remove some of the substrate from that area when I pull those out.
We are talking about EBT only and they can eat mushrooms that some say are toxic without harm to themselves. I think what I see in OP pic if given a chance to mature will show it's harmless. They also can, and will eat Mayapple fruit without harm.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We are talking about EBT only and they can eat mushrooms that some say are toxic without harm to themselves. I think what I see in OP pic if given a chance to mature will show it's harmless. They also can, and will eat Mayapple fruit without harm.
And I've seen dogs go into seizures from eating back yard shrooms that pooped up. Why risk it?

Skunkworks

Tortoise Club
Coeur D Alene,ID
I have tried mushroom ID apps and can not get a 100% positive ID. It is too dangerous not to be sure
I pull at least 5 Mushrooms a day out of Nala's Enclosure.. I have read out of thousands of species only about 100 are Toxic and about 20 are deadly.. I Don't take any Chances. I pull them as soon as they Pop Up.