Safety of Wild Mushroom in Outdoor Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zergy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Valrico, FL
I just noticed today that there were what looked like 2 different kinds of mushroom growing in my red foots outdoor patio enclosure. My young torts haven't been outside for a few days (not as warm as I would like plus cool wind), so I don't know how long they have been there before I removed them today. Hind sight, I probably should have taken pictures.

Has anyone else had the issue of mushrooms growing in their outdoor enclosures? What do you do? How do you keep them from growing? And probably most important, how do you remove them if they are unsafe without repopulating the enclosure by accident?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
When I do get them I pull them up I am in no way an expert in IDing them so I feel at least in my part it is better to be safe rather than sorry.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Zergy......The part of a mushroom that we see above ground is its "fruit" and may contain thousands of tiny seeds called spores. Each spore grows a threadlike root when it falls to the ground, and the roots from many spores weave a huge underground web. Whenever two roots from different spores meet, they can join to make a new mushroom.
To get rid of your mushrooms, you'd have to remove all the dirt that contains either roots or spores. (By the way, you may be spreading both when you shovel them 'shrooms.')
Even if you found a poison that would wipe out this batch of mushrooms, airborne spores of the same species (or another species) could easily grow more mushrooms in the same spot as long as conditions are favorable.
Your best long-term solutions? Change the environment ….which we don’t want to do in this case, so my friend I think pure vigilance may be your only real option: Keep an eye out for them and “ YANK UM” ~

JD~:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've tried to research mushrooms quite a bit and it can be quite confusing. There are many that are harmless and some that are downright deadly. Many of them look alike and are difficult to properly ID. Like, JD said, I just pull them. I carefully grab them low on the stalk and pull out as much as I can. I then throw them in a garbage bag and wash my hands.

Zergy

5 Year Member
Valrico, FL
Thanks guys for the info.

I found 2 more mushrooms pushing upward out of the cypress mulch side. None are growing on the top soil side. And the cypress mulch is the same I have inside the indoor enclosure and there are no mushrooms growing there. Hm...

I guess I will just keep ripping them out each day.

I did finally get a picture though.

2012-04-10_16-17-32_932.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.