courtoon

Location (City and/or State)
Yorkville, IL
IMG_8257.PNG Hi all! My baby RT will not, and I repeat will NOT go into her water dish I have in her enclosure. She seriously hates her soaks and I have a feeling she hates her water dish now too because of it. I have a small terra-cotta saucer embedded in her substrate so it's not deep, pretty shallow. Her heating lamp is 1/4 around it so I know the water temperature feels pretty good too. How do I get her to enjoy it? She would rather burry herself to get cooler than go in her dish. Thanks in advance!

P.S I've included a picture and I am aware she shouldn't be in a glass enclosure, but that's what I can do right so while im getting my tortoise table built!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Russian tortoises are not known for liking waterdishes. I wouldn't worry about it to much as long as your doing your soaks. Also he might just stick his head in take a sip not so much fully get in.

Kyle

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I agree that Russians can be averse to water

I find soaking to be most successful first thing in the morning before the tort has warmed up properly.

Use a very large flat-bottomed bowl with high sides that your tort cannot see over or through. This is important as your tort will want to escape if it can see out.

A dish-washing bowl is ideal and it’s large size means there is more water so it takes longer for the water to cool.

Use warm, but not hot, water - think baby bath rather than the hot steamy bath that you might enjoy.

The water needs to be deep enough to come just up over the join between the shell and the plastron. Change the water if it cools too much.

With a cooler tortoise and the water the right temperature you are more likely to see your tort relax and enjoy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yep. Pretty normal for a russian. Just keep soaking daily and your tortoise will get used to it, and it will also stay hydrated.