Terra Cotta food and water dish

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjr153

5 Year Member
I switched to terra cotta food and water dishes this weekend. It is great for a food dish but my baby much prefers the bowl that it had previously for water. It would soak it's whole body in there, only head out. The terra cotta is not deep at all. It will go get a drink out of it but wants to part of soaking in it. What is so great about the terra cotta? Is it just because there is a slim to none chance of drowning?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
If you do a bit of looking, you will find different depths of t.c. water dishes. I use them for feeding, but usually not for soaking (atleast not the unglazed ones I like the glazed ones for water, while I know some think they are too slippery). If he liked the other dish better for soaking, then by all means go back to it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
You got it. I raise a couple hundred hatchlings a year and I find 6-10 of them upside down in the water bowl every year. Haven't lost a single one because I use the right size and type of water dish.

The terra cotta saucers are good because they offer low sides, shallow water and good traction. Many times a tortoise simply won't drink or soak in a water bowl that it's not comfortable with. Slick surfaces and steep sides usually make them uncomfortable. Many of them have drowned in those pet store bowls with the little ramps or steps. Those are great for lizards or snakes, not so good for tortoises.

For soaking you should be using something with tall opaque sides like a kitty litter pan or dish washing tub.

Status
Not open for further replies.