Water bowl

Gizmo7702

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
We are a new Russian tortoise owner. Just joined the forum today. We bought the ramp style water dish as recommended by the reptile store owner. From what I am reading, that is not good. Other than terra cotta pots what would you suggest? The pic is what we have and will change out.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 8

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Terra cotta plant saucers are ideal. They are shallow, large enough for them to sit in, and are not slick.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I honestly can't recommend anything else but terra cotta saucers. they simply work the best

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Hmmmm...I hadn't really thought about an alternative to a pretty perfect dish like the terracotta ones. They have rough bottom for traction, sloped sides for easy/safe entry and exit, shallow so less likely to drown if flipped upside down in one, come in sizes from 2-22 inches diameter, cheap and easy to find in many stores, etc. Honestly, its like they were made for tortoises! Why would you want anything else?

Reactions: Tom

Gizmo7702

Florida
I had to laugh. Ok. I guess a terracotta it is. What would your recommendation size wise for our gal?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 18

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Big enough that she can walk in, lay down, stretch out and relaaaax....tortoises obsorbe water through both ends...lol

Now let's talk about the yucky lightbulb they probably sold you. Please say its not a coil bulb....they are baaad. We have many new members who frantically ask why their torts not eating....a lot of the time bulb related.

A ceramic heat emitter is ideal for night heat. It doesn't put off light. Just heat. Tortoises need day and night schedules... Hope this helped. Have fun with your gal and welcome!

Last edited:

AnimalLady

Oops, I missed this, lol. I commented on your other post about this, sorry! :)