Reputation Points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Neal said:
I'm a little mixed on the whole concept of reputation points on a site like this. Maybe I don't fully understand the purpose of it. From my perspective, I don't see it as anything other than a popularity guage. If it's intended to show someones credibility, I think their posts do a better job of that than what one person has to say about another. I guess there's nothing really negative about it, as far as I'm concerned I'm just here to talk tortoises not play popularity games. If you like what I say or I like what you say, I think a PM conversation is more meaningful than giving you a reputation point. My 2 cents.

I understand and respect your position, but the reputation number does offer a rough tool to help people, especially newbies or people like me with poor memories, better know and understand other posters. It can help give a clue about how experienced or knowledgeable the poster is, too.

It is certainly not a perfect system. Some of the smartest, best keepers I know here have fairly low ratings- but that is mostly because they don't post that often.

This is just me talking, but if you are going to say something nice about me, I appreciate it when you do it publicly (via the Reputation rating) and chastise privately, via PM or email.

Status
Not open for further replies.