Ratings should be deleted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
N2TORTS said:
Because of this I will no longer be posting any of my pics or comments.

Nooo JD!! You can't do that to us, we love your pics!! Please, keep them comming :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Everyone likes to have good things said about them. And when a bad comment is made about you, it hurts.

When I first started posting on the forum, it made me feel pretty good that my forum friends started adding reputation points to my "score." However, after a while, I forgot about it. I haven't looked at it now in about 6 or 8 months. I was completely surprised to see where it has gone in the past few months.

I think most of us like to give and receive a pat on the back occasionally, and if we think a negative thought, we usually keep it to ourselves. I doubt the majority of forum members would even consider giving a negative. "If you can't say anything good about a person, don't say anything at all." Its a good old adage, and withstands the test of time.

I feel the "negative" has been used in the past out of spite and with the wrong attitude. However, in my opinion, free speech, freedom of the press, whatever, is everyone's right, and should be remembered and taken into consideration, before thinking about moderating someone's ability to give a negative or not. The thought that someone might give you a negative should be there to keep us on our good behavior.

We all have the ability to read or not read someone's posts. If we feel strongly about someone and don't like how they're posting, then it is within our power to not read their posts. The negatives hurt and should not be used frivolously, however, they do serve a purpose. Checks and balances.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Well, I just want to reiterate that I really enjoy JD's posts and photos---seems like we can never have too many photos or videos for the TFO crowd. Popular sentiment for the 10 months I've been here has been "more pictures, please!"

JD complies and comes up with some clever and amusing captions as well...I am sure there are some folks who are jealous of his photography skills and enclosure building/decorating skills and his vast tortoise collection (money-earning skills?) and his home-location skills (on the beach in California? Please!), so yeah, now that I think about it, I don't like JD anymore either and I already knew those grapes were sour!

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
When I first saw the ratings/reputation system I thought it was cool. I only clicked on it to find out what it was about, and have not clicked since. There are people who will use whatever tools they have available to hurt/criticize someone. Its an unfortunate fact about the human race, giving said people the anonymity of the internet makes them even braver. It never occurred to me that it would be used in that fashion. Seems that if its a big problem the mods would take care of it. Of course there is the whole issue of free speech...

Even though I'm a member with no torts I don't have any ratings, I'm sure someone will catch on and rate me!

chadk

10 Year Member!
What a bunch of whiners. Who cares about some so called ratings? Do you still hold on to the dreams of being 'popular' from your school days? Did you not learn that playing that game simply gave others power over you?

I'll solve it for you - just give ME all the negative comments when you feel the need to post one. It will get it off your chest, and it won't bother me one way or the other and you won't have hurt feelings or a bruised ego. Win win :)

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
chadk said:
What a bunch of whiners. Who cares about some so called ratings? Do you still hold on to the dreams of being 'popular' from your school days? Did you not learn that playing that game simply gave others power over you?

I'll solve it for you - just give ME all the negative comments when you feel the need to post one. It will get it off your chest, and it won't bother me one way or the other and you won't have hurt feelings or a bruised ego. Win win :)

Ha ha ha, I was thinking the exact same thing. Does anyone value the opinion of a person who has 15 approvals more someone who has 10? Does anyone really care if someone has no ratings if they seem to know what they're talking about? Connecting the "reputation" you have here to the reputation you have in the real world is a silly way to look at things.

I got a nagative rating on my profile a few months ago and I thought the immaturity of it given to me was funny (like it was going to hurt my feelings or make me change my opinion on whatever it was that the person was mad about). Feel free (everyone) to vent your fears and frustrations towards my "reputation points," as well as Chad's. If my girl Meg upsets you, give me the negative points. If a loose cannon moderator throws a fit at you and storms out of the room, I'll take those negatives too. If possible, point out in the comments section who you meant the negatives to go towards, so I can attempt to keep track of who owes me what.

(comment edited by mod Maggie)

EDIT: I changed my signature, just to clarify that I agree to this.

M

Maggie Cummings

Well, that's nice, being called a whiner because I gave my opinion here is really nice and objective, I think too. Nice and objective...The OP asked for opinions and we gave them.

I wonder which one of us moderators is the loose cannon? I bet I know!:cool:

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
OK so now I know what the ratings feedback is, Jilly!!!
How many posts do I have Llama 55? and I never even knew to click on the number to see what it was!!!
Duh!!!
Na

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
maggie3fan said:

Well, I was gonna say it, but I've seen you admit the same thing (that you're a loose cannon, or talk before you think, or that you run your mouth) so many times in the past, I figured that saying it would just get my post edited anyways. It's not like it's news to anyone. Looks like you edited the most honest part of my last post regardless (which had nothing to do with you or anyone else), so there's little point in me saying it again since it all gets changed anyways.

chadk

10 Year Member!
maggie3fan said:
Well, that's nice, being called a whiner because I gave my opinion here is really nice and objective, I think too. Nice and objective...The OP asked for opinions and we gave them.

I was just giving my opinion on the general tone here. Didn't call anyone out specifically...

The OP asked for opinions... and I gave mine too :)

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I say the reputation thingy should not be a number based on positive or negative comments, but instead how many beers you can drink in one sitting.

I agree with Stephanie and Isa......JD can't stop posting pics. Especially now that we get to watch a little Radiated fella grow up before our eyes.

Are you comfortable with yourself? That's all that matters in the end. Oh, and the unconditional love you get from a good dog.......Or cat.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I like the ratings system, when you help someone, or are contributing good knowledge, a positive ratings point is like a pat on the back. Its feedback that makes people feel good about helping others. And it helps to soothe the ache caused by new keepers asking the same questions over and over haha.

But I think that having to have a NEGATIVE rating approved by a mod is a good idea. That way they won't be used frivolously.

I just wanted to say thank you to those who have given me positive ratings. It makes me feel good to get them, and I hope that my posts will stay worthy of them all!

M

Maggie Cummings

TylerStewart said:
maggie3fan said:

Well, I was gonna say it, but I've seen you admit the same thing (that you're a loose cannon, or talk before you think, or that you run your mouth) so many times in the past, I figured that saying it would just get my post edited anyways. It's not like it's news to anyone. Looks like you edited the most honest part of my last post regardless (which had nothing to do with you or anyone else), so there's little point in me saying it again since it all gets changed anyways.

I deleted your comment telling new members how to act because I didn't think it was appropriate for new members or for a family forum. I have never edited any of your comments before, that must have been a different loose cannon moderator (something I don't think I have ever admitted to). If you think you are being edited unfairly you should talk to the moderator team about it, we would be glad to address that issue with you.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Silly people, to have feelings that get hurt.

Certainly we should all try to be more like Chad and Tyler. Bullet proof...nothing ever phases them!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My personal opinion is the whole rating system should be junked. It is open to wayyyy too much abuse both with positives and the negatives. For those of you who get a negative, do you know you can just ask Josh to remove it?

As a Mod, I don't think we should have the power to decide who can and can't post a negative.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
harris said:
Are you comfortable with yourself? That's all that matters in the end. Oh, and the unconditional love you get from a good dog.......Or cat.

Do not forget ''a tortoise'' :p

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Stephanie Logan said:
Silly people, to have feelings that get hurt.

Certainly we should all try to be more like Chad and Tyler. Bullet proof...nothing ever phases them!

Seriously.... You should. Everything bounces off Chad and I. As a matter of fact, here's a picture of us last weekend (I'm on the left, Chad on the right).
Muscles.jpg

You can't scrap the reputation points or I'll have to change my signature again.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is a little off topic, but I wonder why Tyler stays on the forum if we're all such a bunch of whiney people not worthy of him?

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
emysemys said:
This is a little off topic, but I wonder why Tyler stays on the forum if we're all such a bunch of whiney people not worthy of him?

I never used the word whiney - I just agreed with it. I understand that Maggie is your sister, and you feel obligated to defend her. I'd miss you guys too much if I wasn't here, and I think, deep down, you'd all miss me too.

M

Maggie Cummings

No, you are totally wrong there. Yvonne is my sister yes, but we live two absolutely separate lives and she does not ever defend me when she thinks I am wrong. In fact, she rarely defends me. I don't need her to defend me. I know you don't like me and that's alright. I made a comment about a product you sell. I said the cypress mulch wasn't up to par and you immediately whined at Danny to remove it. I made one comment to you. I should have taken it to you privately but I didn't. My mistake.
You don't have to like me, but it looks like you don't like many members of this forum. You belittle the forum as a whole regularly. I agree with Yvonne here, I don't know why you stay. Especially if you are not a sponsor anymore. I have more to say, but what's the point? It won't change anything. I really am sorry you don't like it here. Most of us love it and have a great time giving advice and visiting with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.