Ratings should be deleted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
This tread should not be closed, it lets people see how some people really are, closing it would be a disservice IMHO.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Is there a full moon or something?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Jeeeeeeeeeeze for once its not ME that's in the middle of all this. And as someone who has seen it from the start, I think all the mud slingers should take a step back maybe and not post on this thread for a day or two.

I am surprised a discussion about ratings got so heated---I mean, for once its about something other than sulcatas.

chadk

10 Year Member!
What? This isn't the sulcata pyramiding thread??? Oooops :)

Tyler - I about spit my water all over the keyboard when I saw that pic!

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Meg90 said:
I am surprised a discussion about ratings got so heated---I mean, for once its about something other than sulcatas.

:p

If only we had a thread about ratings & sulcatas... I think the forum would implode.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I wish the reputation would be gone because it isn't consistent feedback of which posters are helpful--I will forget to rate some people when I have rated others for the same advice. I think there are less mathematical and subjective ways to give feedback--like the old fashioned thanks for the help. One the positive side, for new users, it helps them to see that the person giving them advice has a good reputation and the advice can likely be trusted (which I think is shown almost as well by a high post count). There are some people here who give awesome advice and don't happen to get a lot of reps. I think a lot of people didn't notice the feature until now because I see people posted on this thread "I only have 2" and they got another 1 in the last few hours, lol.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Back to the OP.....

My opionion on ratings in general, both positive and negative: Just because a person has a lot of positive ratings does not mean they give good information, it means they are a member liked by others. I have, on occasion used positive ratings for members who I felt were exceptional in their advice. I do not rate someone because I like them or think they are funny, etc. I have never used a negative rating, and propably never will. The funny thing about negative ratings is it often makes the one giving the rating look bad, and I view them as negative and disruptive members. Sometimes however, bad ratings are given to those who actually are disruptive to the forum, and everyone can easily see that, and its likely diserved! I guess my point is that giving bad ratings often makes the "rater" look like the bad guy, not the receiver.

Good ratings are meaningless, IMO, if Mods have to approve bad ratings. Actually, I don't think ratings OR the number of posts serve any function or value. When I was a Newbie, I wrongly believed the high # of posts someone had and high ratings, meant they knew what they were talking about. It did not take me long to realize some with high ratings and high post counts just regurgitated information, good or bad, to pass time. On the other hand, there are also some REAL proven experts with low post counts and few positive ratings. It takes a long time to figure out who these experts are.

While I have never given a negative rating, I did once revoke a positive rating for a member who verbally abused a Newbie and attacked others, IMO. I felt it was wrong, and PM'ed my opinion to her. That member has since been very positive, non aggressive, and is now an asset to the forum.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
chadk said:
What? This isn't the sulcata pyramiding thread??? Oooops :)

Tyler - I about spit my water all over the keyboard when I saw that pic!

Yeah, my wife told me not to post that pic of us, but I thought it was warranted to show how stuff can bounce off.

I think the rep points should be left alone. Those of us who don't think they're an essential part of their reputation can just ignore them. If anyone wants a rep point from me, just request it via PM.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Wow I really haven't been on here lately. What is going on here? I'm now giving everyone on here that has posted negative ratings! :D :p JK.
I love everyone on here whether I agree with you or not. You all have points that are valuable. I do agree with Jilly that the negative rating is not productive, but I'll leave that one up to Josh. I have to make one comment though that I read in one of the posts that I disagree with, I bought Tyler's Cyress Mulch and I loved it. It is clean and very nice for the tortoises and I'd definitely buy it again. That's all I have to say. :)

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
TylerStewart said:
DonaTello said:
Wow Tyler, please take your 'rant' about
Maggie (who most of us adore) somewhere else.....between you and Chad, you've
managed to sideline my post into YOUR topic of choice. Shame on you.....

Well, you'd be frustrated too if you were in my position. I like this forum; it's the best tortoise forum out there, but I am tired of Maggie's editing my posts (and her own when it makes her look good and me bad), and her desperate attempts to make me the bad guy.

In case it wasn't clear, that's not really Chad and I in the photo.

It's not? And I was so looking forward to meeting you at the reptile show LOL!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Meg90 said:
, I think all the mud slingers should take a step back maybe and not post on this thread for a day or two.

A very fine idea! Then when you all come back, remember this thread is JUST about the rating system.

Status
Not open for further replies.