Ratings should be deleted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California, central coast
The 'negatives' in the ratings should be removed. I see no purpose of being able to 'negatively' rate someone, whats the point? Now the positives I feel are good, makes you feel welcomed here AND valued. If you don't like a member for whatever reason, ignore, don't talk to them etc. But giving bad ratings gives them too much power, ability just to slam you. And some mean spirited people do...:(
Please consider removing it Josh.

Just my opinion, take it or leave it..:cool:

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I agree that there's not much purpose constructive purpose in executing the negative ratings option...although I only know of one case in which someone used it...and it was, in my opinion, only done to be vindictive and hurtful.

Seems to me like we thoroughly get our differences aired through postings and PMs, so aren't the negative ratings a bit superfluous?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I assume this is the 'Reputation' rating?

I think the ability to do negative ratings is fair, but perhaps should require a moderators approval to post (if it is not already required).

It does worry me that someone can use this in a mean spirit, but I also think it is important balance tool for those folk who seem to enjoy passing on bad information or being argumentative for argument's sake.

Other options could be to allow people to turn 'Reputation' off for their account if they are concerned about that, or to allow the recipient to challenge a rating- again, if these do not exist already.

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
California, central coast
I agree Stephanie and air our differences we do! But to rate someone in a 'negative' fashion to me is, well immature.

'Reputation' off....Now thats a really good idea!

M

Maggie Cummings

I didn't welcome Tom in exactly a nice way and someone took away their positive comment they had given me and added a negative one. It hurt me, and I think being able to give a negative comment because you disagree with someone isn't exactly fair. Because of my personality and my opinions I have the ability to upset people, normally because they disagree with me and they run quickly to add a negative rating to all my positive ones and that takes away my positive rating. I don't think a person who doesn't like me for me should be able to take away my positive rating points. I don't like a lot of people but I don't go running to add a negative comment to the rating section. Maybe I should do that so these so called "nice" people can see what it feels like to have negative comments said about them. Especially when it's not true.
So frankly I am not sure how I feel about the ratings section all together.
To me it's more or less comments about your personality or the intimate you and I'm not sure that's fair or right...
I probably shouldn't have commented at all and been this wishy-washy:p

danielledelynn

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY
Forgive me here for sounding forum illiterate, but can someone please explain to me what this thread is about? What are ratings here? I am so lost. I've been a member of this forum for about a month or so and this is the first bout of drama I've read. What does it all mean? (I'm not being sarcastic, I truly have no idea what's going on right now in here :/

M

Maggie Cummings

You can click on that rating and it will take you to where people can give you a positive rating or a negative one. Sometimes this is a good thing and sometimes it's bad.

I am glad to see you taking part in our discussions, you should do it more often. There's lots of drama here and I'd point you towards some but you should find it on your own...:)

danielledelynn

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY
Donna-Tello's Mom, I seriously have always thought the reputation number meant the number of people you recommended to sign up onto this forum, like so-and-so was referred to TFO to sign up and become a member because of so-and-so. Wow, I didn't realize I was completely wrong. So what you're saying is, it's more like a popularity contest? In that case, it really should be deleted in my opinion.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just recently had my first experience with a negative rating. When I read the person's comment, it was clear there was a misunderstanding. I PM'd the person and explained and they promptly removed it.

It was a bit upsetting to me at first as it seemed so hurtful and uncalled for.

If somebody is doing something so bad that you'd want to give them a negative rating, it seems to me that a mod should be notified and let them handle it. There was a person who was giving bad advice and after my third public request for them to please think about what they were telling people I contemplated giving them a negative. I chose not to for a variety of reasons, but mainly, it just didn't feel like the right thing to do. I figured enough people challenged this person's bad advice on the threads, so a newby wouldn't have too much trouble figuring it out. There's another person with almost no experience who advises everyone on everything in specific detail. How can you give specific advice on something you've never done? I've kept redfoots, but I don't go around telling people how they ought to do it. I don't know enough about redfoots and its been a number of years since I had one. I don't like this and disagree with it, but I'm not ready to give the person a negative.

So, I agree with Jilly. If you don't have anything nice to say...

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I definitely feel their should be NO NEGATIVE ratings...when push comes to shove, we're ALL unique individuals and may not mesh with everyone else here...we're here to teach and learn and, in essence, have fun. Of course, I've been here less than a month and haven't received a rating yet, but I know I'd be blown away if I received a negative. Peace all!

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I say get rid of negative and neutral ratings. They can only have the effect of hurting members. Leaving a negative rating will likely not motivate someone to be more "polite" on the forum but will rather just make them leave it altogether. I don't see anything constructive that can come from negative ratings.

Neutral ratings are just kinda pointless. If I'm neutral about someone am I really going to go out of my way to let them know that I think they're just pretty average?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would imagine that they work like ebay's or amazon's rating system. Now anyone who sells on ebay knows they totally gutted the rating system, and of course I have had personal experience with people blackmailing me with my rating system (it is 100% positive BTW). Any rating system without negatives is just a toothless system. Of course you should not be able to post a negative rating simply because you don't like someone, it should be for people I guess giving out errouneous info like " for a healthy tortoise throw it in a woodchipper" and maybe scamming people out of money for products. I personally don't think it should be deleted, I would imagine it would be used by honorable people, but we all know of dishonorable people, who may use it for nefarious purposes. I guess it would be used for people doing wrong, but not doing something that would get them banned from the forum. My 2 cents

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I have no reputation..but no rep is better than a bad rep! like back in high school, did i ever like those boys!! lol

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Hmmm, very interesting. Some people just need to re-think their actions before committing.

I just watch what i say so i don't get bashed :p

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
I tend to agree with the fact that the negative reputation option is not necessary. This is the first message board I have even seen with the option to give somebody a "reputation" like that.

I do not have any reputations (hmmm....), but would hate for somebody to say something negative about me. If you have a problem with the person, PM them, or rant and rave about them somewhere else on the boards. :p

I also agree that a negative reputation option welcomes vindictive people, who want to feel better about themselves by bashing others.

If anything, the option to turn off your reputation option is a good idea...

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
DonaTello said:
The 'negatives' in the ratings should be removed. I see no purpose of being able to 'negatively' rate someone, whats the point? Now the positives I feel are good, makes you feel welcomed here AND valued. If you don't like a member for whatever reason, ignore, don't talk to them etc. But giving bad ratings gives them too much power, ability just to slam you. And some mean spirited people do...:(
Please consider removing it Josh.

Just my opinion, take it or leave it..:cool:

or...you could be like me, 172 postings and an invisible ZERO which is weird also....like "you can listen or talk but we don't care"....if someone rants and raves a direct whatever to the monitor would work. not sure if it matters much, but it on occasion might be an issue. most tort folks are pretty neat, knowledgeable, and rational

South FL Katie

5 Year Member
Coral Springs, FL
I had no idea what ratings were either. I better get rating!

But I don't think the negative ratings are that bad, as long as the person giving the negative feedback states why they're doing so then I don't think it's a bad thing. If they were saying something like "I just don't like you" then we would all know it's not warranted. And I probably wouldn't let someones negative ratings effect my personal opinion of them anyway, I'd probably just feel it out and decide for myself. I wouldn't miss the negative ratings if they were gone but I don't think it's a terrible thing to have either.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Well … I waited and cooled off before this post. Personally I enjoy the forum ALL the pics and articles in here. What I think is BS, is a system that allows you to mouth off when you either A# .. have no clue , or B# . just some bitter A**whipe who doesn’t have the balls to confront the issue in person. The power of the pen ( in this case the internet) …. Is very strong .. And can be crushing. Most who spend the time to write something negative , are pure cowards ,bitter and completely clueless. What happened to me yesterday coming home and logging on finding a NEG~ in my rep score is uncalled for. I DO care about my rep. I’ve spent over 30 years raising all different types of herps. I don’t give advice … just real life scenarios’ that I have encountered or seen in person. As far as posting too many pics, one can only post enough care sheets * over and over * again . The persons should buy a dam book or look at old threads to gain knowledge, not pop open their mouth and discredit someone ,because they have a different point of view.Or not interested.
Because of this I will no longer be posting any of my pics or comments. Not worth my real reputation being hurt by some idiot .
For the Advisors of this forum …. Remember “ Some things don’t need change” .. your forum was fine before this *new* idea of negative feedback issues. I tried writing a letter to the “ Head honcho’ to address this issue….... but still no response…. VERY WEAK !
AND TO THE FOOL WHO LEFT THIS …. ON MY REP….

Comments superpooper(0) - Last updated Yesterday, 12:52 PM
Negative (-1): too many posts w/no content

WHY ARE YOU OPENING MY POSTS ANYWAY? IF THEY HAVE NO CONTENT? … I could school you with info …if you have 20 years to listen and somewhat of a brain!
THINK BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH OR TYPE STUFF IN A PUBLIC FORUM! . And be Prepared to BACK IT!:D
MY GOLDEN RULE!
JD~

Status
Not open for further replies.