Redfoot tortoise help

Status
Not open for further replies.

REDfoots

5 Year Member
Ok so a couple of questions, first I have 2 1 year old red-footed tortoises and I have an outdoor enclosure for them. Second I would like to know If I could put them outside all day or not. Third does anyone know where I can get a pig blanket it a heating pad for a pig and my grandpa uses one for his 5 year old sulcata and it works great so I wanted to know here I can get one for cheap. Please reply all help is appreciated and I need to know kind of quickly I would really like to know thank you!!!!!!!! :):):):):):):):)

skottip

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Where do you live?>
If you live in Alaska, no.
If you live in S FLorida, yes.. :)
You are much better off investing in a radient heat panel. Tortoises lungs are on top. An under tank heater has little affect.

REDfoots

5 Year Member
I live in Florida and how much would one of these panels cost 100's or 1000's

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I live in So Cal and mine stay out all year. They have a pig blanket in a green house that they stay in until the temps are above 60 at night. After it is consistently in the 60s - I turn off the blanket and they are just fine. I bought my blankets from kanemfg.com. Hope that was helpful!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
kimber_lee_314 said:
I live in So Cal and mine stay out all year. They have a pig blanket in a green house that they stay in until the temps are above 60 at night. After it is consistently in the 60s - I turn off the blanket and they are just fine. I bought my blankets from kanemfg.com. Hope that was helpful!

I just re-read your original post - and I see your little ones are only babies still. I wouldn't leave the babies outside until it's at least 70 in the day and not at all at night. Sorry - I need to read things more carefully!!!

REDfoots

5 Year Member
But what if i have a really secure top on it so that predators are unable to get inside

abclements

5 Year Member
It more has to do with body temps. Smaller torts loose body heat faster and are less tolerant to lower temperatures. I keep my 9 month old inside most of the time but when it breaks about 65 i put him outside for a couple hours to hang out in the sun. But he always comes in for the night

Status
Not open for further replies.