Wild Caught Yellow-Foot Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
MeganAlyse said:
I recently came into possession of a wild caught yellow footed tortoise, estimated to be about 3 years old. The seller said she had been "dewormed" and had been eating like a pig and seemed healthy while in his care. What should I do to try and make my tortoise as comfortable and healthy as possible?

So, what we believe at this point is that this is a Red-foot, probably from a farm in Columbia or thereabouts. It is mildly pyramided, but that is not a major health issue as long as the cares from now on are solid.

Red-foots are easier than Yellow-foots, so that is the good news. They come from savannahs, open forests, thorn scrubs, etc.- but usually places that stay green and have decent rainfall compared to the deep rain forest-dwelling Yellow-foot.

Not eating for a day or two can mean that it is full, the weather is a bit off, it did not like what was being offered, etc.

Just review the basic cares and diet at a good site. I offer some option in the Tortoise Library (linked in my sig), but I also have a page of links to other good sites that may help you as well.

MeganAlyse

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Atlanta, GA
Thanks, Mark :) lol now I have one less enclosure to take care of, knowing I can keep my hermit crabs with my tortoise.

your website is very helpful :)

Status
Not open for further replies.