Possibly Getting Redfoot baby-help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
Our Texas Reptile Expo is here April 4th and I am thinking about getting a redfoot (captive bred baby from this year). I currently have a two year old box turtle that is healthy and happy, and I would like to do the same for my possible new addition. Can someone please advise what I will need? I heard boxies and rf's are similar in diet and habitiat, but my boxie's in a guiena pig cage and maintains a humidity of around 60%..and she is thriving...but everything I read about Redfoots is scaring me a bit...are they that difficult to care for, and what all will I need? (I want to be fully set up and operational before bringing a new baby home).
Thanks in advance!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
They are not that difficult at all, If your box turtle is thriving Im sure you can help a redfoot to thrive. If its a hatchling I would do a smaller mostly closed chamber enclosure. Warm, humid, calcium, real sun when and if possible, varied diet and daily care and keep him hydrated

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
bigred said:
They are not that difficult at all, If your box turtle is thriving Im sure you can help a redfoot to thrive. If its a hatchling I would do a smaller mostly closed chamber enclosure. Warm, humid, calcium, real sun when and if possible, varied diet and daily care and keep him hydrated

Thank you for your reply! Would you suggest more of a little plastic tub? (I never think of aquariums as suitable but if that is what it requires I am happy to do it). Also, my boxie uses Ecco Earth-is that okay? And what about lighting? Milly has a 100 watt PowerSun MVB-sorry for all the questions-i am very very anal when it comes to my "kids" and like to have a firm grasp on what I need to know before undertaking a new challenge :D

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
MildredsMommy said:
bigred said:

Thank you for your reply! Would you suggest more of a little plastic tub? (I never think of aquariums as suitable but if that is what it requires I am happy to do it). Also, my boxie uses Ecco Earth-is that okay? And what about lighting? Milly has a 100 watt PowerSun MVB-sorry for all the questions-i am very very anal when it comes to my "kids" and like to have a firm grasp on what I need to know before undertaking a new challenge :D

You will probably get some dirrenent opinions on this but I think glass aquariums do just fine for me. A plastic tub would be fine as well, I like to be able to see in,,,in case they are flipped over. I use sphagnum moss for a substrate and you want 3 or 4 inch layer at least so it can hold moisture and he can burrow. I dont have any uvb for mine because they get out in the sun on a regular basis

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
bigred said:
MildredsMommy said:
bigred said:

You will probably get some dirrenent opinions on this but I think glass aquariums do just fine for me. A plastic tub would be fine as well, I like to be able to see in,,,in case they are flipped over. I use sphagnum moss for a substrate and you want 3 or 4 inch layer at least so it can hold moisture and he can burrow. I dont have any uvb for mine because they get out in the sun on a regular basis

thanks again-and btw you have beautiful RFs!! So use only the moss? I notice with Mildred that her Ecco Earth dries out rather quickly probably because the cage is so venilated I would guess-I do mist her daily and I notice in the morning she takes a swim first thing...lol. So you dont feel like I need a humidifior? We do live in Texas and dont have central air.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
MildredsMommy said:
bigred said:
MildredsMommy said:
bigred said:

thanks again-and btw you have beautiful RFs!! So use only the moss? I notice with Mildred that her Ecco Earth dries out rather quickly probably because the cage is so venilated I would guess-I do mist her daily and I notice in the morning she takes a swim first thing...lol. So you dont feel like I need a humidifior? We do live in Texas and dont have central air.

Thank you, Yes I only use the moss with a bunch of hides. I get the moss from lowes in huge bags, I have never used a humidifier. Im sure the box turtle substrate dries out quickly because its open but if its working for you stick with it. I also mist them until they are soaked with warm water. your little guys Im sure in texas could get some sun every once and awhile

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
oh yes-my Hubby and I are currently making some flower beds and a friend who is a carpenter is making an outside box for Mildred (until she is big enough to be in an actual enclosure) so they will most certainly get some sun and outside fun. Thank you again-I was back and forth about getting a RF, and the Expo price list says they are 95.00. Now at least I feel like I can take it on and it wont be too bad. :)

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
MildredsMommy said:
oh yes-my Hubby and I are currently making some flower beds and a friend who is a carpenter is making an outside box for Mildred (until she is big enough to be in an actual enclosure) so they will most certainly get some sun and outside fun. Thank you again-I was back and forth about getting a RF, and the Expo price list says they are 95.00. Now at least I feel like I can take it on and it wont be too bad. :)

I have a bunch of hatchlings but Im not really set up to ship. Just check him over good, maybe get one of the more active ones.

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
MildredsMommy said:

Hi I just want to add that, just like choosing where to plant a tree, you need to plan for when the tort is full grown. You may want to make a card-board cut out about 10-12 inches long 4-6 inches wide in an oval and see where you have place for it in and outside. your habitat for your turtle is probably getting to be too small for him and something that size wouldn't be room for a tort to turn around in even at 3 years old

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
Luckily we have a VERY large backyard so the size of the enclosure wont be limited in the slightest-my main goal was to keep Mildred inside until she gets a little bigger, and being the paranoid Mama I am (we have a LOT of skunks and raccoons) I will be bringing her in at night. The baby RF of course will stay inside for awhile. I got the cage specifically because I thought it would last her at least a couple of years-plus we can't do a tort table because we have four very curious very mischevious cats :(

Also, Mildred is two-so she is literally the size of the palm of my hand-and her cage now is the biggest one they offered-in fact one of the people who saw her last time said it looked like a mansion :D

Mildred cage.JPGMildred cage II.JPGHere are two pics to give you an idea

Last edited by a moderator:

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
FLINTUS said:
Sorry, that size was related to a different thread-something about a tortoise palace- by the looks of it lol.

Gotcha-I kept thinking did I mention how big her cage was? lol not the most beautiful enclosure for sure but she enjoys it and has room and as long as she is happy I am happy :D

Status
Not open for further replies.