Redfoot not getting out of bed

Vega

Location (City and/or State)
Somerville
I have a two-year old red footed tortoise, who is not getting out of the sleeping spot.
Even when we bring food, the tortoise will sit under the lamp to eat, but goes back after eating.
We recently put a heating pad underneath for night time, but the room is heated in the day.
We live in a cold northern climate, so the days are short, but last winter, the tort did not seem to behave this way.
The area is not covered, there is a bark hiding area, but do they seek/want darkness?
Thanks for any help!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
It's probably just the weather, your tort senses it. My Redfoots slow down in the winter months even indoors. As long as your tort is still eating you have no worries.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a two-year old red footed tortoise, who is not getting out of the sleeping spot.
Even when we bring food, the tortoise will sit under the lamp to eat, but goes back after eating.
We recently put a heating pad underneath for night time, but the room is heated in the day.
We live in a cold northern climate, so the days are short, but last winter, the tort did not seem to behave this way.
The area is not covered, there is a bark hiding area, but do they seek/want darkness?
Thanks for any help!
Sounds like you've got the wrong type of housing and heating for a red foot. They need a large heated humid closed camber. The room temp shouldn't matter. Is the room heated to 82 during the day? It also needs to be warm at night for this species.