Help and info

Dabj

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hi I have three red foot tortoises i got them when I was 13 as hatchlings. They were gifted to me. Being young i really didnt know how to take care of them but i am getting better and learning fast. I need some help due to my inexperience they have developed pyrimiding, and I have been able to stop it but what i dont know is will they ever grow out of it? They are 5 years old now and i love them to death and i want to give them thr best life possible. I also would like to know what plants are toxic for them because i am in the process of building a permanent outside enclosure for them. Thank you for any help in advance

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
He, and welcome!

As you know, your RF tortoises should be kept in a very well-planted enclosure, so that you can provide the humidity they require. You can look up "toxic plants" on the 'net and avoid planting those. Some edible plants that I use are hosta, wandering jew, rose of sharon, some of the different types of clump grasses (they love to hide under these), etc. I also have a fig tree in the YF yard, as they really love it when the ripe fruit falls on the ground.