pretend chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edna

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rawlins, Wyoming
Good morning!!
Every morning I walk to and through the ground of the old penitentiary. These words on one of the signs are bugging me:

"Great slabs of stone and rock, visible on the outside structures...."
I've been on the prison tour twice now, and no one has told me how to tell the difference between stone and rock LOL.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Edna said:
Good morning!!
Every morning I walk to and through the ground of the old penitentiary. These words on one of the signs are bugging me:

I've been on the prison tour twice now, and no one has told me how to tell the difference between stone and rock LOL.

"Rock is a naturally formed solid aggregate of one or more minerals. It is what stone is made from.

Stone normally is used to refer to rock which has been dressed, trimmed or otherwise engineered or used by man in construction of some sort, usually as discrete (individual) blocks. Also important is the fact that these blocks are no longer in-situ (i.e. they are no longer where they were formed and part of a larger cohesive rock mass) within the Earth."

:D Made me wonder too, so I looked it up. :D

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Jacqui said:
Edna said:
Good morning!!

"Rock is a naturally formed solid aggregate of one or more minerals. It is what stone is made from.

Stone normally is used to refer to rock which has been dressed, trimmed or otherwise engineered or used by man in construction of some sort, usually as discrete (individual) blocks. Also important is the fact that these blocks are no longer in-situ (i.e. they are no longer where they were formed and part of a larger cohesive rock mass) within the Earth."

:D Made me wonder too, so I looked it up. :D

Yeah, I was going with the idea that stone was rock that had been quarried (dressed, trimmed, or otherwise engineered) but the sentence goes on to say .... "were waggoned from the Larson quarry". And there isn't any unquarried rock on the building, so I think it's just a goofy sentence.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
One week until Vacation for me. Yay.. I do have to work some while I am on vacation and don't worry.. I will have internet access. I cant wait to pack the dogs and torts and hit the road. :tort::D
The outlaws will be up there to watch the animals when we are out so that is really great. We will be doing a jeep event, and I plan to try to ride the whole island by bike. :D
Tonight I have to weed my garden. I am getting a ton of thistle and I know I didn't plant it. Someone said birds can drop it from feeders does it spread like crazy? How do you get rid of it without chemicals? It is very painful to walk on.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Sorry 'bout your thistles:(
The thistle seed in bird feeds is niger, not the thistles you are getting, and it is heat-treated to prevent the introduction of other invasive weeds. Birds may have brought the seeds in, but not from bird seed. Chemicals probably won't work on it this time of year so it would be better to just dig it up, bag it, and haul it off.
Even useful plants, such as prickly lettuce, are tough to walk on, so I wear garden clogs outside.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Appearanly it is gonna hit 100 here today, summer has finally arrived in So Cal. Only about 2 months late.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Edna said:
Sorry 'bout your thistles:(
The thistle seed in bird feeds is niger, not the thistles you are getting, and it is heat-treated to prevent the introduction of other invasive weeds. Birds may have brought the seeds in, but not from bird seed. Chemicals probably won't work on it this time of year so it would be better to just dig it up, bag it, and haul it off.
Even useful plants, such as prickly lettuce, are tough to walk on, so I wear garden clogs outside.

I feel like I keep digging it up by the roots and either it's spreading or it has deeper roots than I am seeing. :( My lawn is a mess. I was told in the fall to weed and feed it and then to over seed the grass to help with the weed problem. I have thistle, dandelion, clover and worst.. creeping charlie :(
I want to take the torts out to play in their garden area but I had a bad dream last night that I was out weeding and my neighbor hurt one of the tortoises thinking it was a pest of some sort. I knew I had to do the weeding and that neighbor hates all of the animals and I am sure that caused the weird dream:(. Is it weird I am apprehensive to take the torts out now? :(:tort:

dmmj said:
Appearanly it is gonna hit 100 here today, summer has finally arrived in So Cal. Only about 2 months late.

Haha.. we stole your summer.. you can have it back though.. :p 100 degrees is too hot for us Michiganders ;)

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
There are different kinds of thistles and plants we call thistles. What kind are you fighting? If you don't already have a positive ID, put up pictures in a new thread. You'll be better armed to fight them if you know exactly what they are.

My yard weeds are adenophora amethyst (Ladybells), white clover, and this gorgeous hot pink yarrow. There are a few dandelions that I spot treat once a year, but I don't want to kill the other things so I never do an overall weed killer application.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
The torts didnt go out tonight :(.. That dude was out there. My dog was out there sitting with me and he was like "Hey, keep that dog out of my yard." I said "okay, as I always do"
My dog never goes in his yard..

poison

5 Year Member
Kerryann said:
Edna said:
"Good fences make good neighbors."

I can't have a fence but a row of arbovitas is in the hub's plans

poison said:
hello people

Hi Poison.. did you name yourself after the band?

lol i never even knew there was a band called poison lol. i have poison dart frogs

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
We live in a subdivision and the association rules say no fences. I never wanted a fence the whole time I lived here before now.
My lab stays in my yard and sometimes goes over to the house next door where she's the part time dog. She was laying next to me in the dirt when the guy said it to me. I was down pulling out weeds and i heard a rustling, looked up and said hi to him.. he looked back at me for a minute almost like confused by my smile and greeting, and then growled at me about cici.
My neighbor who is our good friend grew up in the house she bought from her parents. She said that man was always cranky. She said that guy and the man who owned our house always were yelling at the neighborhood kids in the backyard area.
On a good note the neighbor on the other side game me a whole box of homegrown veggies :D

poison said:
Kerryann said:
Edna said:

poison said:
hello people

lol i never even knew there was a band called poison lol. i have poison dart frogs
Poison was an awesome band. I had a huge crush on them when I was like 14 ;)

poison

5 Year Member
Kerryann said:
We live in a subdivision and the association rules say no fences. I never wanted a fence the whole time I lived here before now.
My lab stays in my yard and sometimes goes over to the house next door where she's the part time dog. She was laying next to me in the dirt when the guy said it to me. I was down pulling out weeds and i heard a rustling, looked up and said hi to him.. he looked back at me for a minute almost like confused by my smile and greeting, and then growled at me about cici.
My neighbor who is our good friend grew up in the house she bought from her parents. She said that man was always cranky. She said that guy and the man who owned our house always were yelling at the neighborhood kids in the backyard area.
On a good note the neighbor on the other side game me a whole box of homegrown veggies :D

poison said:
Kerryann said:
Edna said:

poison said:
hello people

Poison was an awesome band. I had a huge crush on them when I was like 14 ;)

lol i dont like rock

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Kerryann said:

I can't imagine owning a house, yet not really owning the house. :(

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
We actually looked for a house in an association after my best friends property value was all but destroyed when a couple of her neighbors painted their houses crazy colors :( so it has it's good and bad. It sucks that we can't add on more to this house because we do love this place, but at the same time they mandate a certain amount of uniformity to ensure everyone's value doesn't get impacted.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I love my fence:) And I love my neighbors. We all just had a great time trying to get this little girl's flat bike tire fixed. Looks like I'm making a trip to ALCO tomorrow to get a white 18x2.125 tire and tube. Two neighbors came over to offer a hand and tools and supplies, and we still couldn't get the thing fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.