Petco 50% Off Tort Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsBeBe_E

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Hi all, my local petco is having a sale this Saturday and will have all reptiles 50% off. I really want a hatchling russian, Greek, or Hermann's tortoise! I know the torts at petco are 4" and up and are most likely juveniles but it's seems like I can't find any hatchlings anywhere. I've went to a couple of websites and none of the torts I'm intrested in are available yet. I have also contacted a couple of breeders here on the site and they don't have any hatchlings yet either. Maybe I'm being impatient lol. Does anyone have any thoughts on getting a russian tort from petco?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Well your going to get some folks telling you that you shouldn't because your encouraging this company to buy more wild caught tortoises. Some will say they are not healthy. My personal belief is... go for it!!! If they have an animal you like and it looks healthy buy it. I have in the past bought a few from them and they were very healthy animals. That being said, the only problem I see is your wanting young and these will no doubt all be adults.

jeffstort

5 Year Member
I would also say go for it if you want and it's also not good taking them out of the wild but I also think some of them could have a better life in captivity

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Another thing to think about is that although hatchlings are really, REALLY cute, they are fragile. They don't have the resilience that an older tort has and some don't make it even with PERFECT husbandry because they had some sort of unidentifiable problem from birth. My Hermann's was 4" when I got her, making her about 3-4 years old. I knew she was basically a sound animal because she had already gotten past the fragile stage and a couple more years. She has been a joy to own: eats from our hand and comes over to see what I'm doing when I mess around in her enclosure.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
The one in Encino, Caifornia is having the same sale. I bet its a nation-wide thing. The clerk told me that they're also having a "reptile beauty contest" on Saturday, the 16th.

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Pueblo West
make sure you do a vet visit after you purchase almost guarantee parasites

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
sueb4653 said:

I got my Russian at Petco and he did have parasites as well as a damaged shell that required vet care. I was angry about the vet bills at the time, but I'm happy now that I got him. He's got tons of personality and is a nice addition to the family.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
sueb4653 said:

I have pick up 4 females from Petco in the past year and all were parasite free, also a 14 day health guarantee and free vet visit if necessary was offered.

MsBeBe_E

5 Year Member
Georgia
Thanks for all the advice! What are signs to look for before buying the tort to make sure the tort is healthy? I've been checking in on this particular tort ImageUploadedByTortForum1371171846.783150.jpgat my petco (yea I know, stalking). Ive been going to the store and watching her for about two weeks now (I think she is a she lol). She is housed with a male! Temps and humidity seem fine. Petco always has fresh water and food out daily. I did see I think mites in the coco coir substrate a while back but they changed it since. I know if I do get her I will def have to do a vet visit for parasites. I've taken a couple of photos while in the store. Hopefully they attach correctly ImageUploadedByTortForum1371171889.161726.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1371171933.896377.jpg

Len said:
sueb4653 said:

I have pick up 4 females from Petco in the past year and all were parasite free, also a 14 day health guarantee and free vet visit if necessary was offered.

Oh wow! Thats great to hear! Thanks for the info!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1371171781.200457.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1371171781.200457.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 81
Last edited by a moderator:

MsBeBe_E

5 Year Member
Georgia
Len said:
sueb4653 said:

Is that petco's policy or did you just get lucky with the free vet visit?

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I got my russian tortoise from petco. She had worms and has some shell damage, but she is worm free now and healthy!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
MsBeBe_E said:
Len said:
sueb4653 said:

It is at the one in LaPlata Md, I don't know if I still have the paper but is was in writing given to me with each purchase.

MsBeBe_E

5 Year Member
Georgia
Len said:
MsBeBe_E said:
Len said:
sueb4653 said:

It is at the one in LaPlata Md, I don't know if I still have the paper but is was in writing given to me with each purchase.

No I'm in Georgia. I will ask an associate about their policy before I decide to by a tort!

hunterk997 said:
I got my russian tortoise from petco. She had worms and has some shell damage, but she is worm free now and healthy!

That's good to hear!!!

Russian_Tortoise said:
There is quite a bit to look for when buying a tort, I find this guide helpful. First part is telling you where to buy one, I recommend just scrolling down to the "Choosing a Healthy Tortoise" section: http://russiantortoise.net/selecting_a_tortoise.htm

Thank you!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Looks from the pictures like she is active and eating which are great signs. :) Could not see the tail clear enough to give a guess on gender.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I say go for it too. The tort in the pics is eating, its eyes are wide open, and it looks active. I wouldn't worry about the little bugs in the substrate. They don't hurt the tortoise.

btw - you mentioned that the tort is a female. How do you know? Its hard to tell from the pic, but the butt-shot in the first pic you posted showed what appeared to be a long tail tucked to the side. Thats a male trait. :D

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Go for it. Also, ask them what they will do if the tort ends up having parasites.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I use the parasite probability to get an extra $35 off. Talk to the manager. Be factual and non emotional. “Just the facts, just the facts", as Sargent Friday would say.

Status
Not open for further replies.