Petco rescue!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljcsov

5 Year Member
Hello!

I noticed that my local petco has redfooted tortoises on sale for 50% off. I do have experience with other reptiles, but not tortoises. I know that they need homemade enclosures and will be confused with glass. After seeing the little guys at petco, I could see that their shells were pyramiding and they were in some restraining conditions. I'd like to rescue one and currently have a 30 gal breeder (3' L x 18" W x 16" H) that could house them. Is this alright for a baby as long as I put something around the bottom so they do not collide with the glass?

Thanks

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn, New York
Hi, I have painters tape (the blue type) around the bottom (out side) of my tank.

Good luck!

~C

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
welcome. I think that would be good to start with a young redfoot...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! How big is he? You may not even have to put the tape around the bottom. ;)

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
That size should be fine to start. Don't worry so much about the glass, though--watch your tortoise's behavior first. If it is bothered by the glass (constantly pacing, trying to walk through it), then cover up the bottom few inches so he can't see out... But, as often as not, they have no problems. I currently keep all my tortoises in glass tanks (the Russians' is just REALLY big), and, out of 6 tortoises (counting 2 that I have since rehomed), not a single one has had any issues.

If anything, I even like tanks better, at least for some torts. They certainly hold heat/humidity better than a low-sided table, which is definitely a major plus for something like a Redfoot!

ljcsov

5 Year Member
CLMoss said:
Check out the photo.

Oh wow. That's a sweet little set up. That's about the size of my tank. How long do you think he'll be able to live in something that size?

ljcsov

5 Year Member
Perfect. How long do you think I that will occupy a redfoot? I figure I can easily construct some sort of wooden enclosure later down the road.

Also - what type of substrate is best for a redfoot? Thanks!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
ljcsov said:
Hello!

I noticed that my local petco has redfooted tortoises on sale for 50% off. I do have experience with other reptiles, but not tortoises. I know that they need homemade enclosures and will be confused with glass. After seeing the little guys at petco, I could see that their shells were pyramiding and they were in some restraining conditions. I'd like to rescue one and currently have a 30 gal breeder (3' L x 18" W x 16" H) that could house them. Is this alright for a baby as long as I put something around the bottom so they do not collide with the glass?

Thanks

That'll work for a year or two, maybe a little longer, depending how fast it grows.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
ljcsov said:
CLMoss said:
Check out the photo.

Oh wow. That's a sweet little set up. That's about the size of my tank. How long do you think he'll be able to live in something that size?

Becky is a hatchling, only 1.5 + inches and 28grams, and two months old today. She is a hungry little baby, and wants to eat twice a day. I am not sure how long it will take for her to out grow this 30gal long. I will up-grade when the time comes. Good luck with your rescue! ~C

torti

5 Year Member
I saw a sign on one of the tanks in my nearby petsmart about some "coming soon" redfoots also! Its so weird. I don't think they should be selling animals period. Too bad I can't help them. =(

Status
Not open for further replies.