My Local Exotic Pet Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
He sails them every 2-3 days and I already made a commitment to him so I don't want to flake! And he has a Facebook page and everything! Trust me he is very trustable! I really couldn't ask for more information! He has already given me so much!

Here's the deal.

You NEED to know how they're taking care of the hatchlings.

You would be bummed if you got one and it died on you in 2-6 months, right?

If the answers come up wrong, flaking on the deal is not uncommon at all in the world.

How the hatchlings are cared for by the breeder in early life can literally be the difference between life and death.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
He sails them every 2-3 days

This tells you absolutely nothing about his care & husbandry. All this says is that this man has a relatively desirably product at a low price, and people are taking advantage of it.

and I already made a commitment to him so I don't want to flake!

Unless you have already put money down on an animal, you have no commitment. As others have stated, YOU are the customer, and YOU have the right to spend your money when and where you want. Obviously, no one on this forum can physically force you one way or another, but it really behooves you, the tortoise, and the hobby as a whole to buy from someone reputable.

For the record, I have "flaked" out on deals before many times. If I am interested in an animal, but found out the dealer is irreputable, or he is not caring for the animal properly, etc., he is not going to get my hard-earned money. I'm not really "flaking;" I am protecting myself from a bad business transaction, as well as taking away business from someone who does not deserve it. I would rather spend my money on someone who cares and respects the animals and has a good reputation.

And he has a Facebook page and everything!

So does everyone else on the planet. I have 3 Facebook pages. I know many of the good breeders on this site aren't even on facebook. Social media does not make or break a business: a solid reputation and a good quality product (in this case, healthy baby tortoises raised in proper conditions from day 1) do. Facebook is only a means of advertising.

Trust me he is very trustable!

Methinks the word you're looking for is: trustworthy. An alternative term could be: reliable. In any case, what has this person done to make him trustworthy in your eyes? Has he offered a guarantee of any kind? Does he seem bothered by your questions, or slightly irritated?

I really couldn't ask for more information! He has already given me so much!

Yes, you can ask. You can always ask for more. YOU'RE the customer! Exactly what information has he given you? And he still hasn't given you the most pertinent info needed (the two questions Tom stated).

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
StudentoftheReptile said:
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
He sails them every 2-3 days

This tells you absolutely nothing about his care & husbandry. All this says is that this man has a relatively desirably product at a low price, and people are taking advantage of it.

and I already made a commitment to him so I don't want to flake!

Unless you have already put money down on an animal, you have no commitment. As others have stated, YOU are the customer, and YOU have the right to spend your money when and where you want. Obviously, no one on this forum can physically force you one way or another, but it really behooves you, the tortoise, and the hobby as a whole to buy from someone reputable.

For the record, I have "flaked" out on deals before many times. If I am interested in an animal, but found out the dealer is irreputable, or he is not caring for the animal properly, etc., he is not going to get my hard-earned money. I'm not really "flaking;" I am protecting myself from a bad business transaction, as well as taking away business from someone who does not deserve it. I would rather spend my money on someone who cares and respects the animals and has a good reputation.

And he has a Facebook page and everything!

So does everyone else on the planet. I have 3 Facebook pages. I know many of the good breeders on this site aren't even on facebook. Social media does not make or break a business: a solid reputation and a good quality product (in this case, healthy baby tortoises raised in proper conditions from day 1) do. Facebook is only a means of advertising.

Trust me he is very trustable!

Methinks the word you're looking for is: trustworthy. An alternative term could be: reliable. In any case, what has this person done to make him trustworthy in your eyes? Has he offered a guarantee of any kind? Does he seem bothered by your questions, or slightly irritated?

I really couldn't ask for more information! He has already given me so much!

Yes, you can ask. You can always ask for more. YOU'RE the customer! Exactly what information has he given you? And he still hasn't given you the most pertinent info needed (the two questions Tom stated).

This is all very true tortoiseboy... :D

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
This thread is really getting out of hand ;P

Okay, he soaks them every 2-3 days. Great then. What about everything else? Are the babies smooth? What substrate is he using?

[This is why it is important to check your posts before hitting send!]

Crystal2807

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Ethan, I would never own a Sulcata in Nebraska, when it gets big it will be very destructive and you really don't want an 80 lb tortoise pooping and peeing in your house for 5 months out of the year. I think you should look into a leopard, they will get pretty big and much easier to manage during the winter.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Crystal2807 said:
Ethan, I would never own a Sulcata in Nebraska, when it gets big it will be very destructive and you really don't want an 80 lb tortoise pooping and peeing in your house for 5 months out of the year. I think you should look into a leopard, they will get pretty big and much easier to manage during the winter.

XD poop and pee don't bother me, its the well being of the animal, that being said, i can't keep it "well" and therefore i am choosing not to do it at all for the wellbeing of the animal.

Crystal2807

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Ethan D said:
Crystal2807 said:

XD poop and pee don't bother me, its the well being of the animal, that being said, i can't keep it "well" and therefore i am choosing not to do it at all for the wellbeing of the animal.

I'm not saying you can't keep a sulcata in Nebraska, but it would be a ton of work when he's big! Good luck on you hunt for your new best friend. If you would like to adopt instead of buying from a pet store visit www.corhs.org and take a look, they rehab before adopting them out so they will be healthy and there are quite a few in need on a home. The shelter is located in Longmont, Colorado. I got Lilly, my RF, from them and couldn't be happier:rolleyes: It's a bit of a drive, about 6 hours from Kearney, NE but worth the trip. Good Luck

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Crystal2807 said:
Ethan D said:
Crystal2807 said:

I'm not saying you can't keep a sulcata in Nebraska, but it would be a ton of work when he's big! Good luck on you hunt for your new best friend. If you would like to adopt instead of buying from a pet store visit www.corhs.org and take a look, they rehab before adopting them out so they will be healthy and there are quite a few in need on a home. The shelter is located in Longmont, Colorado. I got Lilly, my RF, from them and couldn't be happier:rolleyes: It's a bit of a drive, about 6 hours from Kearney, NE but worth the trip. Good Luck

lol i'm in omaha, and chances are i am getting a redfoot or leopard :D

Crystal2807

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Ethan D said:
Crystal2807 said:
Ethan D said:
Crystal2807 said:

I think that is a wonderful choice!

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Crystal2807 said:
Ethan D said:
Crystal2807 said:
Ethan D said:
Crystal2807 said:

I think that is a wonderful choice!

my only concern is, if i get a leopard is to do my best to prevent pyramiding, because i know that if it happens, i will feel like the worst owner in the world, and the outdoor adult pen i am going to build may or may not need a permit depending on how i want to build it lol XD, same for the redfoot, but less likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.