My Local Exotic Pet Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
They have some baby sulcata's for sale at 125$ a piece, 2-3" long, and they have about 20 of them. I asked some info on them, and the guy told me that an adult could be brought in for the winter and live in a 7' X 5' indoors? i think that is bad info but thats what i am asking, if that is possible? I am also wondering if the price is fair? i have seen some online for 50$ plus shipping that are cheaper? Any thoughts?

tortle

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
I got one of my sulcata for $45 and the other for $50. $125 seems way too overpriced even looking at some online ones.
7' X 5' seems good if it's only for the night.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
tortle said:
I got one of my sulcata for $45 and the other for $50. $125 seems way too overpriced even looking at some online ones.
7' X 5' seems good if it's only for the night.

i thought so too, and nah it won't be overnight lol all winter which is why i thought it was fishy :/

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Ethan D said:
They have some baby sulcata's for sale at 125$ a piece, 2-3" long, and they have about 20 of them. I am also wondering if the price is fair? i have seen some online for 50$ plus shipping that are cheaper? Any thoughts?

$125 is on the higher end overall, but not bad as a retail price. Some pet stores have their babies at twice that much.

I asked some info on them, and the guy told me that an adult could be brought in for the winter and live in a 7' X 5' indoors? i think that is bad info but thats what i am asking, if that is possible?

Possible? Yes...but that is going to be a very large, frustrated tortoise and a lot more maintenance on the keeper's part. Most people generally keep the adults outdoors year-round and provide a heated shed or shelter during the cold months. A lot depends on exactly where you live.

In short, it sounds like the guy doesn't have a lot of experience with adult sulcatas.

What was the husbandry of the babies like? Did they look like they had any pyramiding? What about the rest of the animals and the rest of the store itself?

My opinion is that it is always better to buy from a reputable tortoise breeder who you know has taken care of their hatchlings and DOES know what they're doing and will give you accurate advice. Giving the pet store your business (no matter how great the price is), is basically feeding that beast.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
StudentoftheReptile said:
Ethan D said:
They have some baby sulcata's for sale at 125$ a piece, 2-3" long, and they have about 20 of them. I am also wondering if the price is fair? i have seen some online for 50$ plus shipping that are cheaper? Any thoughts?

$125 is on the higher end overall, but not bad as a retail price. Some pet stores have their babies at twice that much.

I asked some info on them, and the guy told me that an adult could be brought in for the winter and live in a 7' X 5' indoors? i think that is bad info but thats what i am asking, if that is possible?

Possible? Yes...but that is going to be a very large, frustrated tortoise and a lot more maintenance on the keeper's part. Most people generally keep the adults outdoors year-round and provide a heated shed or shelter during the cold months. A lot depends on exactly where you live.

In short, it sounds like the guy doesn't have a lot of experience with adult sulcatas.

What was the husbandry of the babies like? Did they look like they had any pyramiding? What about the rest of the animals and the rest of the store itself?

My opinion is that it is always better to buy from a reputable tortoise breeder who you know has taken care of their hatchlings and DOES know what they're doing and will give you accurate advice. Giving the pet store your business (no matter how great the price is), is basically feeding that beast.

They were hatchlings with a great smooth shell and bright in the sense of brown lol colors, the other animals were great too, just expensive :D, they were on eco earth and moss, high humidity like 65%, and in a 75 gallon aquarium, temps were 95ish and basking was in the low 100s i believe.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
125 is very expensive for a hatchling. Somewhere more in the range of 50-75 dollars. Can you keep an adult sulcata over winter in that small amount of space? Sure you can keep him in there but that doesnt mean its going to be good for you or the sulcata.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Eweezyfosheezy said:
125 is very expensive for a hatchling. Somewhere more in the range of 50-75 dollars. Can you keep an adult sulcata over winter in that small amount of space? Sure you can keep him in there but that doesnt mean its going to be good for you or the sulcata.

exactly, he also told me that same enclosure would last a hatchling for 37 years depending on growth? i dont know if what he said about that is true either?

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Yeah not even close. I am glad to hear they werent being kept on rabbit pellets though.

lol my bad, not 37 years 3-7 my dash didn't work :p my bad, and no they had mazuri

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Ethan D said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Yeah not even close. I am glad to hear they werent being kept on rabbit pellets though.

lol my bad, not 37 years 3-7 my dash didn't work :p my bad, and no they had mazuri

No I wasnt talking about their food I was talking about for their substrate. Pretty much everyone used to use it and I still see some big breeders out there doing it. Even ones with high end tortoises. And 3-7 years isnt too bad of info based on what other pet stores say but thats not saying much. :D

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Ethan D said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:

No I wasnt talking about their food I was talking about for their substrate. Pretty much everyone used to use it and I still see some big breeders out there doing it. Even ones with high end tortoises. And 3-7 years isnt too bad of info based on what other pet stores say but thats not saying much. :D

lol yeah, i hear ya, pet stores almost say anything these days to make a quick buck :D

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Ethan D said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Ethan D said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:

lol yeah, i hear ya, pet stores almost say anything these days to make a quick buck :D

Pet shops are a business, some better than others. They try to pay as little as possible and resale it for as much as possible. I had a pet shop contact me and the guy said he wanted to buy my hatchlings for 35.00 = pretty funny I know. You can find a sulcata hatchling for less than 125.00

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
bigred said:
Ethan D said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Ethan D said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:

Pet shops are a business, some better than others. They try to pay as little as possible and resale it for as much as possible. I had a pet shop contact me and the guy said he wanted to buy my hatchlings for 35.00 = pretty funny I know. You can find a sulcata hatchling for less than 125.00

Yup, i know some people on here that sell them for 45-60$

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Jacqui said:
Did they have any other turtles or tortoises?

Nope, Boa Constrictors, Retics, Rabbits, Macaws, but only had sulcata tortoises.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Well atleast your not in Canada where they are $599

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
I'm getting mine for $60.00 from a breeder on craigslist.org

if i can talk my parents into a walking bulldozer in the backyard 8 years after i get him (if i am still living here) then i will probably go from someone here, or tortoise supply . com :D

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Ethan D said:
if i can talk my parents into a walking bulldozer in the backyard 8 years after i get him (if i am still living here) then i will probably go from someone here, or tortoise supply . com :D

He's a baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.