Sad trip to the pet store

Status
Not open for further replies.

MnM10

5 Year Member
So yesterday I went to buy substrate for Flash but they were out of the coco coir so I decided to just look at the reptiles. They had this sulcata for sale; maybe around 8 inches or 10. And I realized he or she has some pretty bad pyramiding ;(( it made me so sad. The shell is getting close to being flat.. It really brakes my heart to see that.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
Did they get it given to them by someone? I knew an exotics petstore that would take in any exotic animals and resell them. So, you can't necessarily blame the store, BUT it's still really sad nonetheless :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most likely at that size, they did get it dumbed on them. The way the pet store was housing it, was that at least good. If not, you should have said something. If it is being housed properly, then it is probably better off then it was?

MnM10

5 Year Member
I wasn't able to talk to either of the employees. Normally the babies (or even the older ones) they have are in good condition. This is the first time I see a tort like that at the store.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
MnM10 said:
So yesterday I went to buy substrate for Flash but they were out of the coco coir so I decided to just look at the reptiles. They had this sulcata for sale; maybe around 8 inches or 10. And I realized he or she has some pretty bad pyramiding ;(( it made me so sad. The shell is getting close to being flat.. It really brakes my heart to see that.

Awww poor thing. I was at the pet store in Valencia called Valencia pet and they had 3 baby Sulcata's in a tiny little tank and they were trying so desperately to get out and there was nothing in there tank. Only a small SMALL layer of hey/dirt. And they were selling them for $295.00! It was so sad.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I will say, most "large" sulcatas you see in a petstore were probably donated, or purchased for dirt cheap just to resell. It is very unlikely any pyramiding you see from a sulcata larger than a couple years old was caused by any husbandry from the store itself. Blame the previous owners.

I would only hope that the petstore takes good care of it once they acquire it. Unfortunately, many do not.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Everyone, also should say something to the pet shops when they see poor care given. Don't complain about their care if your not going to do something about it. We have many that has complained, but very few that does a little as to say something. Sorry go come off angry. I get tired of hearing how poorly this or that animal was taken care of, but nothing said. A few kind helpful suggestions may make a world of difference to the animal. I search the craigslist ads often. When ever I see bad care given, I email them and as kind as possible try to educate them on the small things they could do to better the life of the tortoise. I also suggest they recommend TFO to whoever they sell the tortoise too. I of course have no idea if they actually take my advice. However, I do know I have had many respond with gratitude. Please at least say something to try and help. Otherwise your not helping the problems, your ignoring it!

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
wellington said:
Everyone, also should say something to the pet shops when they see poor care given. Don't complain about their care if your not going to do something about it. We have many that has complained, but very few that does a little as to say something. Sorry go come off angry. I get tired of hearing how poorly this or that animal was taken care of, but nothing said. A few kind helpful suggestions may make a world of difference to the animal. I search the craigslist ads often. When ever I see bad care given, I email them and as kind as possible try to educate them on the small things they could do to better the life of the tortoise. I also suggest they recommend TFO to whoever they sell the tortoise too. I of course have no idea if they actually take my advice. However, I do know I have had many respond with gratitude. Please at least say something to try and help. Otherwise your not helping the problems, your ignoring it!

Well a 12 year old boy can't exactly do that. But I hear you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
wellington said:

Well a 12 year old boy can't exactly do that. But I hear you.

A twelve year old would be perfect. If he had the correct info. Just think of the looks on their adult faces when the twelve year old knows more then they do. I would pay to see that. Sometimes us adults, need to be put in our places sometimes. We don't know it all just because we are older. Just ask my 15 year old son, he'll tell ya how much I don't know:p :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
Awww poor thing. I was at the pet store in Valencia called Valencia pet and they had 3 baby Sulcata's in a tiny little tank and they were trying so desperately to get out and there was nothing in there tank. Only a small SMALL layer of hey/dirt. And they were selling them for $295.00! It was so sad.

I have been after that lady for a while now. The man that owned it before her was crooked, so I didn't go in there for a long time. I have talked to the new owner twice now and I'm not able to get a reaction from her one way or the other, but I do see that she's making no changes. She expressed an interest in buying some of my hatchlings, but not until she agrees to house them a little better, while they are in her care. That store has always charged a lot for their animals, but they are really the only game in town for anything that the chain stores don't carry.

Don't sell your self short boy. I was working in pet shops and educating the public on how to care for their animals at 14. Be polite, but confident. Do your research first, and then give it your best try. You might fail. Most of us usually do. But you will be a better person for doing the right thing and trying.

This lady has now heard it from at least TWO people. You and me. Actually my bother in law and my nephew said something too, so I was told. If this lady hears it enough times from enough people, it will start to sink in.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
wellington said:
A twelve year old would be perfect. If he had the correct info. Just think of the looks on their adult faces when the twelve year old knows more then they do. I would pay to see that. Sometimes us adults, need to be put in our places sometimes. We don't know it all just because we are older. Just ask my 15 year old son, he'll tell ya how much I don't know:p :D

Lol yes your right. I promise I will next time! ;P

Tom said:
I have been after that lady for a while now. The man that owned it before her was crooked, so I didn't go in there for a long time. I have talked to the new owner twice now and I'm not able to get a reaction from her one way or the other, but I do see that she's making no changes. She expressed an interest in buying some of my hatchlings, but not until she agrees to house them a little better, while they are in her care. That store has always charged a lot for their animals, but they are really the only game in town for anything that the chain stores don't carry.

Don't sell your self short boy. I was working in pet shops and educating the public on how to care for their animals at 14. Be polite, but confident. Do your research first, and then give it your best try. You might fail. Most of us usually do. But you will be a better person for doing the right thing and trying.

This lady has now heard it from at least TWO people. You and me. Actually my bother in law and my nephew said something too, so I was told. If this lady hears it enough times from enough people, it will start to sink in.

Your right! I'll say something next time!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's all I can ask you and others to do, is to try. The animals can not speak for themselves. We, animals lovers have to be their voice. If you never stop trying, eventually you will get through, to some at least. Some is better then none. I agree with what Tom said, too, saying something, at least you tried and you are a better person for it. :D. Besides, kids can be tuff little buggers themselves.:p:D. It just might take a kid to wake her up.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
wellington said:
That's all I can ask you and others to do, is to try. The animals can not speak for themselves. We, animals lovers have to be their voice. If you never stop trying, eventually you will get through, to some at least. Some is better then none. I agree with what Tom said, too, saying something, at least you tried and you are a better person for it. :D. Besides, kids can be tuff little buggers themselves.:p:D. It just might take a kid to wake her up.

Lol ok I will ;) :D

MnM10

5 Year Member
wellington said:

I ended up calling bc as I said before I wasn't able to talk to either one of the employees. I can't just turn the other cheek. I wasn't a jerk abt it. I mean at least I hope I didn't come off that way.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
All you can do is try. Yes, the nicer you are the and tell them its. It their fault, and the new better ways have been found out, they usually are fine with it. They just don't want to be blamed for bad care. I am sure you were fine. Some you get through, some you don't

Status
Not open for further replies.