Pet Store Conversation

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Neal is right. Here in Arizona there are probably hundreds currently in rescues. They might not be officially government run rescues, but they are the closest thing we have here.

You are right too Tom. These animals could be placed in good homes, but the "rescues" seem to be more interested in making a profit on them than finding them good homes.

LeaderLeprechaun

5 Year Member
Mississippi
The pet store down the street was selling a sulcata for $125 which is cheaper than the red foot i bout for $145

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
JeffG said:
Neal is right. Here in Arizona there are probably hundreds currently in rescues. They might not be officially government run rescues, but they are the closest thing we have here.

You are right too Tom. These animals could be placed in good homes, but the "rescues" seem to be more interested in making a profit on them than finding them good homes.

Rescues should NEVER breed and sell baby animals. It is a conflict of interest.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
CLMoss said:
JeffG said:

The specific "rescue" we're talking about refers to themselves as a sanctuary...in my opinion, that's a completely different thing than a shelter or an actual rescue. I don't see where the conflict of interest would exist.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Neal said:
CLMoss said:
JeffG said:

The specific "rescue" we're talking about refers to themselves as a sanctuary...in my opinion, that's a completely different thing than a shelter or an actual rescue. I don't see where the conflict of interest would exist.

I guess I think of a sanctuary as a place where tortoises can live out the rest of their lives in peace and in general good care and health. One could argue that being forced to live in large groups in a relatively confined space (=stress?) would not be that healthy. I'm not certain of the specifics of the place in question, but just giving food for thought. If they are breeding animals, they are either doing so deliberately, which case they are in it for profit and I would call that a breeding business, not a sanctuary. If any breeding is done "by accident," maybe they need to re-evaluate their housing conditions for the adult tortoises, because I would imagine the reason they became a "sanctuary" in the first place was because of all the unwanted tortoises out there. They certainly wouldn't to be putting more out there...just seems like a conflict of interest to me.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
OK, maybe I do see that a conflict of interest exists...but I guess it all depends on their opinions and the actual manner of how they obtained their animals.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
This rescue we are talking about i s it the one that only sells males by the pound, and breeds the females?

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Sanctuary, well thats a different story! Some of them could be frighting... I would sooner put an animal down than subject them to some of the sanctuaries here in the northeast. Many start with the best intentions (501c3, I believe), then become hoarders, charging large "donations" to care for your unwanted pet. Many of these pet would do much better if they were re-homed; however, santuaries don't want to take the time to find new homes for these amimals. I have seen way too many so-called sanctuaries and their owners to feel comfortable about them. Those who want to put their unwanted pet into a place like that really should do research about who and what they are. Questions like; how much funding to you have and for how long, is there a vet on staff, who is going to take over the sanctuary in 50 years, etc. Tortoises and parrots live a long time. Also, interested party must do a walk thru of the sanctuary and property. A good sanctuary is few and far between. I believe that unwanted pet should be rehomed asap so that they (good rescues) can take in more pets in need of loving homes. Please remember that I am talking about the northeast sanctuaries.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
CLMoss said:
Sanctuary, well thats a different story! Some of them could be frighting... I would sooner put an animal down than subject them to some of the sanctuaries here in the northeast. Many start with the best intentions (501c3, I believe), then become hoarders, charging large "donations" to care for your unwanted pet. Many of these pet would do much better if they were re-homed; however, santuaries don't want to take the time to find new homes for these amimals. I have seen way too many so-called sanctuaries and their owners to feel comfortable about them. Those who want to put their unwanted pet into a place like that really should do research about who and what they are. Questions like; how much funding to you have and for how long, is there a vet on staff, who is going to take over the sanctuary in 50 years, etc. Tortoises and parrots live a long time. Also, interested party must do a walk thru of the sanctuary and property. A good sanctuary is few and far between. I believe that unwanted pet should be rehomed asap so that they (good rescues) can take in more pets in need of loving homes. Please remember that I am talking about the northeast sanctuaries.

Rescue, shelter, sanctuary...whatever label they go by, I have seen the same thing happen with all of them: they basically turn into animal hoarders with 501(c)(3) status. Now I'm aware that there are some rescues out there that don't generally practice rehoming the animals they take in (maybe that's what make them a "sanctuary"...I dunno [shrugs]), and that's fine, I suppose. But the bottom line is that the lives of the animals rescued or received are improved or better than where they were previously. Otherwise, I think the proprieters of the shelter have fallen short of their goal. After all, if I had a snake or turtle that I could no longer care for myself and didn't just want to sell it off for cash, and genuinely wanted to make sure it went to someone who would at least take as good care of it as I did...I would hope that a rescue or "sanctuary" would be that place, right? But if the snake is just thrown into an empty tank in a back bedroom or the tortoise is just plopped in the yard with a dozen others...then personally, I don't consider that a sanctuary or rescue at all.

Perhaps my standards are too high, but there it is. Our local reptile rescue takes EVERY rescued animal to the vet for a check-up and we make sure it is healthy before putting it up for adoption. We occasionally have to turn away animals (mostly large iguanas and big snakes) if we're out of room. A lot of "rescues" do not do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.