pet store

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

I had to go to the local Mom and Pop pet store to get some medicine for my Betta fish and they had a pyramided 6 month old Sulcata on paper towels in a 10 gallon aquarium. I said he needed some damp substrate to stop that pyramiding and she told me it was normal for them and if she put in substrate he ate it. They were feeding him good looking greens with grated carrot...and they wanted $265.50 for it...

Now I know pyramiding is normal...and that's probably why it IS getting more normal...

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
That is so sad when people except pyramiding as normal :(

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Maggie, i expect you to print out Toms info and other care stuff... and mail it or hand deleiver right back to the Pet Store... Hop to it!!! :)
tape it to Bob and have him deliver it!

M

Maggie Cummings

Laura said:
Maggie, i expect you to print out Toms info and other care stuff... and mail it or hand deleiver right back to the Pet Store... Hop to it!!! :)
tape it to Bob and have him deliver it!

Already have, I just didn't want to seem like a do gooder...wasn't gonna tell the group

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
I've been to a bad pet store with abused animals before. I almost called the humane society on them. I suggest getting an actual knowledgable adult on sulcatas (or torts in general) and have him speak to the owner of the pet store. Hopefully things should shape up soon...

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Maggie ~ sometimes the 'do gooders' need to shout it from the roof tops to get the rest of us interested in becoming more pro-active with what we see out there. I'm grateful you are a do-gooder and applaud your deeds.

RV sends her regards to Bob

teri

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Good JOB Maggie!!!! I am so proud of you. :D ( and it is great to be a do gooder... More people need to be like you)

M

Maggie Cummings

tortoises101 said:
I've been to a bad pet store with abused animals before. I almost called the humane society on them. I suggest getting an actual knowledgable adult on sulcatas (or torts in general) and have him speak to the owner of the pet store. Hopefully things should shape up soon...

I am an actual knowledgeable adult on Sulcata being as they are one of my areas of expertise and I am over 60 years old so when I took my care sheets back, I talked to the owner and explained about keeping Sulcata on cypress mulch with 80% humidity and a 100 watt MVB. I gave him a mini lecture on pyramiding explaining that it is NOT normal. I talked about soaking him daily and misting him several times a day. I explained about giving him a hide and I complemented the owner on the food he was feeding. I talked about putting in sight barriers and rocks and branches to climb over and on.
And I also took Lancecham's ad for baby Sulcata's at $45 because this store owner is asking $265.50 and the sooner he lowers the price the sooner that baby would get sold and get out of there. So, I didn't need a knowledgeable adult because I am one and I went prepared and took my information and I know what I am talking about.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Way to go, Maggie!! Whoo Hoo!!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Maggie...you are one bad mama! Give 'em hell (OOPS! You already did)!

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
maggie3fan said:
tortoises101 said:

I am an actual knowledgeable adult on Sulcata being as they are one of my areas of expertise and I am over 60 years old so when I took my care sheets back, I talked to the owner and explained about keeping Sulcata on cypress mulch with 80% humidity and a 100 watt MVB. I gave him a mini lecture on pyramiding explaining that it is NOT normal. I talked about soaking him daily and misting him several times a day. I explained about giving him a hide and I complemented the owner on the food he was feeding. I talked about putting in sight barriers and rocks and branches to climb over and on.
And I also took Lancecham's ad for baby Sulcata's at $45 because this store owner is asking $265.50 and the sooner he lowers the price the sooner that baby would get sold and get out of there. So, I didn't need a knowledgeable adult because I am one and I went prepared and took my information and I know what I am talking about.

Good on ya maggie for the move...people like that need to be rattled to get the message.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great job Maggie. Can you imagine the poor store owner if you and I had walked in there together? I love what you did. How did they react? Did it change after they had some time to think about it?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Making the world a more tort-friendly place, one misguided pet store at a time! Well done, Maggie. :D

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
Kudos Maggie! If they aren't informed then they will never know how poorly they are treating the tort. I used to not say anything but now I don't care if I offend anyone, I have to say something for the animals. I got on my soap box at the pet store a couple months ago & my fiance said, get down before ya break your box! lol I love him! He stays home now when I go to the pet store. : P

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
Good for you Maggie. As I learn more and more about the pets I've owned I take every opportunity to help educate others as well. Mostly about dogs, behavior, nutrition and stuff. But soon I'll be able to help with Tortoises as well.
Just like Kona's previous owner, many have good intentions but simply dont know about things. I know its easy to go online and learn but not everyone is motivated to do so. Thats why what you did, taking the time to compile literature on the care of Sulcatas and taking it to the owner, was so really wonderful. You made it easy for him and presented him with the facts as well as explaining Tort needs.
A long time ago I had been eyeing a Lory at a pet store. I had one for a short period so knew a little bit about them. For one they are fruit and nector eating birds, they can eat seed but thats kinda like feeding a tort only romaine. Maybe a bit worse than that. Anyway ... I tried to tell the young girl about it but thats as far as it went. After reading how you prepared and went to the owner, thats what I'll do next time.

Xilonen

5 Year Member
Bellingham, WA
Not to mention it's so hard to know where you find the good information in a sea of opinions and outdated material. I've been lucky to find a couple great resources for my sulcatas, but I'm really just starting. When I got my boxy it took months to do enough research to feel comfortable with the level of care I'm providing, and I'm still learning. It's amazing how much misinformation is allowed to circulate about reptiles.

Good job!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Xilonen said:
Not to mention it's so hard to know where you find the good information in a sea of opinions and outdated material. I've been lucky to find a couple great resources for my sulcatas, but I'm really just starting. When I got my boxy it took months to do enough research to feel comfortable with the level of care I'm providing, and I'm still learning. It's amazing how much misinformation is allowed to circulate about reptiles.

Good job!

Not only that, but old info on the 'net that never gets updated. You might read something on an internet search that was written by a well-known reptile name, but its so outdated as to be obsolete. You're in a good place here on the forum, Laura. We allow differing opinions to be shown on tort keeping. And we share updated, cutting edge tortoise keeping ideas with our members. And because we welcome everyone to share their info, it keeps us on our toes and helps us all to learn and do the best we can for our tortoises.

Status
Not open for further replies.