Are Sulcata tortoises considered an exotic pet?

FelicityExotics

Location (City and/or State)
El Paso
The definition of exotic is "originating from a foreign country". It could arguably be broken down even further than that.

Since you live in North America, and the tortoise originated in Africa, it is an "exotic" species.
In the veterinary world, "exotic" simply means any pet that is not a dog, cat, or farm animal.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In the veterinary world, "exotic" simply means any pet that is not a dog, cat, or farm animal.
True. Many people define it differently. I had a producer once argue with me over whether or not a parrot was an "exotic". We have different trainer pay rates for exotics and domestics, and dogs too. He wanter to pay the trainer the lower rate on a parrot job. His argument was that since you could buy a parrot in a pet store, that it should be considered a "domestic" animal.

I'm sure that anyone reading this knows that he lost that argument and why...

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
My understanding of "exotic" is that it is something non-native and unusual.
Here in Jamaica, the mongoose (actually an introduced species from India long ago) is not considered exotic, but a weasel or even a squirrel certainly would be!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
My understanding of "exotic" is that it is something non-native and unusual.
Here in Jamaica, the mongoose (actually an introduced species from India long ago) is not considered exotic, but a weasel or even a squirrel certainly would be!
And of course, a sulcata - most definitely exotic!

Ronnier

Antelope Valley, Ca
The definition of exotic is "originating from a foreign country". It could arguably be broken down even further than that.

Since you live in North America, and the tortoise originated in Africa, it is an "exotic" species.
Hi Tom,
I live in the Antelope Valley, Ca. Tortoise vets seem to be few, or just a small interest with some exotic vets. I’m afraid now because I took my bearded dragon to an exotic vet for a check up and she prescribed food which was the wrong dosage and my beardie died. I’m in panic. My Sulcata has a respiratory infection I think. For such a long time I thought he ate weeds that didn’t agree with him, but now he doesn’t want to eat and he has bubbly eyes. Someone abandoned him at my house years ago and I didn’t know what you do so I thought ok I’ll take care of him. But he was a baby then and I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I just thought okay, tortoises live outside. I’ll let him live outside. Over the years I’ve discovered I’m a complete idiot. I have had good intentions but that doesn’t count. This tort is going to die here and the rescues are full, I have almost no money for housing and energy to house the tort and now I’m old. And with all this he’s sick and I don’t want him to die. I’ve learned to love him. He has lived under my home in a burrow but has now outgrown it. Hes starting to scratch his scutes off from going in and out. He’s approx 80 pounds. I am my own support unit. How do I proceed? Can I get antibiotics online? I wrote you because, I noticed people seem to trust your opinion. Thank you for your time. Ron

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom,
I live in the Antelope Valley, Ca. Tortoise vets seem to be few, or just a small interest with some exotic vets. I’m afraid now because I took my bearded dragon to an exotic vet for a check up and she prescribed food which was the wrong dosage and my beardie died. I’m in panic. My Sulcata has a respiratory infection I think. For such a long time I thought he ate weeds that didn’t agree with him, but now he doesn’t want to eat and he has bubbly eyes. Someone abandoned him at my house years ago and I didn’t know what you do so I thought ok I’ll take care of him. But he was a baby then and I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I just thought okay, tortoises live outside. I’ll let him live outside. Over the years I’ve discovered I’m a complete idiot. I have had good intentions but that doesn’t count. This tort is going to die here and the rescues are full, I have almost no money for housing and energy to house the tort and now I’m old. And with all this he’s sick and I don’t want him to die. I’ve learned to love him. He has lived under my home in a burrow but has now outgrown it. Hes starting to scratch his scutes off from going in and out. He’s approx 80 pounds. I am my own support unit. How do I proceed? Can I get antibiotics online? I wrote you because, I noticed people seem to trust your opinion. Thank you for your time. Ron
They get sick because they are too cold. If its not too far gone, you can usually cure them with heat. Get this tortoise into a warm night box. Set the thermostat to 90 degrees.

A burrow under the house is great for summer in AV, but not winter. It was 27 degrees in Palmdale this morning as the sun was rising. That will kill a sulcata.