Kadels

5 Year Member
Sometime in the next few months, I will be moving to Phoenix from Dallas. I have a 7-year-old Sulcata - she's maybe 40 pounds? I need lots of advice and help.

1) What is the best way to move her? I am not planning to make the drive, but I will if that is what is best for her.

2) Arizona folks: What is the best outdoor setup? If anyone has any night boxes and/or enclosures they would be willing to let me see, please message me. We have a night box in Dallas, but we can't move it. Someone else built it, and it is too big for her anyway.

3) What is the best source of food in the Phoenix area? I grow some grasses, lettuces, and cactus, but it will take me awhile to re-start them.

Thank you!!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Driving her yourself will be the safest and best way to go. That way you can make sure the temperature is always correct. Use a big plastic tub with towels in the bottom. Bring extra towels and a trash bag for the soiled ones.

The same type of night box will work just as well in Phoenix. A 4x4' one is enough for a single sulcata. Best to let them burrow in summer. You can usually get them to dig where you want if you start the burrow for them. You'll have to catch her above ground in fall and then close off the burrow so she has to use the heated house all winter. I cover the burrow opening with a sheet of plywood. I usually do this late October.

Finding food is the same every where. In the desert we use cactus, grape vine leaves and mulberry leaves all summer because the weeds all dry up and die in April and May when it heats up and the rains stop. Grass hay should be your new best friend. Supplement with Mazuri and what ever odds and ends you can find.

Last edited by a moderator: