African Sulcata Tortoise 2 years and possible addition

megganwalker

Location (City and/or State)
Cave Creek AZ
I have a friend who wants to give me her baby Sulcata that she found but I am unsure if it is wise with my Sulcata being 2 years old and I still don’t know the breed. Is it safe? Is it wise? If not is there anyone wanting a baby Sulcata here in Phoenix?

zovick

10 Year Member!
I have a friend who wants to give me her baby Sulcata that she found but I am unsure if it is wise with my Sulcata being 2 years old and I still don’t know the breed. Is it safe? Is it wise? If not is there anyone wanting a baby Sulcata here in Phoenix?
Are you sure the found baby is truly a sulcata and not a baby Desert Tortoise? They look quite similar to beginners.

Either way, you would not want to keep the two tortoises together. You would need to create a totally separate enclosure for the new addition.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I second Zovicks post. Post a pic of it and we can confirm it's species.
It would always have to live in its own enclosure, never as a pair. Do you have the room to do that?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Very odd to "find" a sulcata in Arizona, you sure that is what it is?

Either way, they should not live in pairs

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Please post some pictures, thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Very odd to "find" a sulcata in Arizona, you sure that is what it is?

Either way, they should not live in pairs
Its actually quite common. Many people have them as backyard pets. The lay eggs, the eggs will ground hatch there, and babies can fit through holes and gaps in fences and walls that the adults cannot.

megganwalker

Cave Creek AZ
This is my tortoise to the left and hers to the right.

Attachments

• image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    259.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1268.jpeg
    IMG_1268.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5

megganwalker

Cave Creek AZ
Its actually quite common. Many people have them as backyard pets. The lay eggs, the eggs will ground hatch there, and babies can fit through holes and gaps in fences and walls that the adults cannot.
My is to left and hers is to the right

Attachments

• image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    259.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1268.jpeg
    IMG_1268.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1

megganwalker

Cave Creek AZ
It’s actually quite common. Many people have them as backyard pets. The lay eggs, the eggs will ground hatch there, and babies can fit through holes and gaps in fences and walls that the adults cannot.
Please see photos posted below.

megganwalker

Cave Creek AZ
My is to left and hers is to the right

Attachments

• IMG_1058.jpeg
    IMG_1058.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1057.jpeg
    IMG_1057.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1268.jpeg
    IMG_1268.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1

megganwalker

Cave Creek AZ
Are you sure the found baby is truly a sulcata and not a baby Desert Tortoise? They look quite similar to beginners.

Either way, you would not want to keep the two tortoises together. You would need to create a totally separate enclosure for the new addition.
Did you see my photos? I truly believe they are Sulcata. We have an over abundance of them here in Arizona. I need to help this little girl find it a home.

zovick

10 Year Member!
It does appear to be a sulcata. I can't be totally positive because I can't see the area just above the neck on your friend's tortoise very well due to the angle of the photo and the lower resolution.

If there is a small scute in the midline directly above the neck, the tortoise would be Desert Tortoise. Sulcatas do not have that scute (which is called a nuchal scute). In the sulcatas, the two scutes just to ether side of the midline meet in the middle. Desert Tortoises have the separate nuchal scute right above the neck in between the two just to either side of the midline.

Hope that is clear enough to explain what I am trying to describe.

megganwalker

Cave Creek AZ
It does appear to be a sulcata. I can't be totally positive because I can't see the area just above the neck on your friend's tortoise very well due to the angle of the photo and the lower resolution.

If there is a small scute in the midline directly above the neck, the tortoise would be Desert Tortoise. Sulcatas do not have that scute (which is called a nuchal scute). In the sulcatas, the two scutes just to ether side of the midline meet in the middle. Desert Tortoises have the separate nuchal scute right above the neck in between the two just to either side of the midline.

Yes. I just feel sad but I cannot take the tortoise and I need to find a home for this baby and little girl here in Phoenix. I don’t even know where to look. There is an over abundance of them here already.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You can research a bit and find a Sulcata rescue in Phoenix...

Arizona Tortoise Rescue​

They can help....

zovick

10 Year Member!
Yes. I just feel sad but I cannot take the tortoise and I need to find a home for this baby and little girl here in Phoenix. I don’t even know where to look. There is an over abundance of them here already.
Yes, that is a real problem with sulcatas today. They very numerous and prolific, so are are virtually "a dime a dozen" as babies. Therefore lots of people buy them simply because they are inexpensive, never understanding what behemoths and eating machines they will become in just a few years (if they are lucky enough to keep them alive that long).

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

Back in the day I used to head start the clutches of Sulcata and Gopherus agassizii (California desert tortoises) for my sister who operated a large turtle and tortoise rescue and people would dump these babies on her. So she'd dump them on me and I would raise them for a period of time. I mean clutches of Sulcata eggs...10 or so...I may well anyway lots of...my point would be that to this day I am more likely to mistake one for the other and just never get it right...lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All the pictures are of sulcatas.

It is not safe to mix them. There are some terrible diseases going around, so quarantine and biosecurity should be at their maximum.

Is it wise? There is no way for us to answer that. You can keep as many as you want. They should never be in pairs, any new additions need to be quarantined and tested for several months, and when they start reaching maturity, males will need to be separated out into their own enclosures. Other than that, have fun and enjoy as many tortoises as you want.