New in Phoenix

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupeluv

5 Year Member
Hi all. I am busy reading the forums, but maybe someone can help me with a "shortcut". ;)

I am adopting a 60 lb sulcata from a friend. I live in Phoenix Arizona. She has several large tortoises and has let them dig out a den under her house to stay warm in winter. Is this sufficient in Phoenix?

During the rest of the year we plan to have several areas available around our large back yard (all grass). We have an old shed and we are going to raise the floor a bit for drainage and cut off the bottom of the door. We also have a covered trellis area that used to have a bench but doesn't any more, and he will be free to dig there or anywhere else if he doesn't like the shed. We might make a small misted area not by the shed as well. I have no worries about summer.

Don't worry, I will continue to read. Not looking for easy answers, I just haven't been able to find much Phoenix-specific info. Thanks in advance!

Kelly

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi Kelly and welcome! Nothing like starting out with a big one. :D I'll let somebody from the Phoenix area really answer your questions, rather then me doing guess work because my experience is in Nebraska and we are just a tad different weather wise then you. :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We DO have some Arizona folks here on the forum, and some of them have LARGE sulcatas!!

Do a search for Neal and Sharkstar. Those are two that spring to mind.

Hi pupeluv:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!!

Be sure to post some pictures when you get your new big guy.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Welcome, always glad to have another AZ (or Tortoise Heaven) member here!

How big is the tortoise in terms of inches?

Here is what I am doing for my tortoises this winter:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Winter-Houses#axzz1YQ5G7hhe

Sharkstar might have some more specific housing info for you related to sulcatas, I don'y have any sulcatas here.

pupeluv

5 Year Member
Nice setup. I haven't actually seen the guy yet. My friend has several large tortoises and a bigger male is picking on him. She only told me he weighs 60 pounds. We have a big grass backyard with a brick fence.

Hauntmom

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
I live in Phx (well Mesa but whatever. lol) and can't wait till mine are big enough to run around the back yard! Welcome!

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
A burrow three or more feet below the surface is enough for them to survive in the Phoenix area. Some burrow and come up daily in the winter and sit in the sun. Some only come out once a week. And lots of Sulcatas will burrow for 3-4months almost a hibernation. What is best for them?? I like to provide heat so they stay active and eating through the winter.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Welcome to the forum! We live in S. Phoenix and have a back yard that faces south. RV dug her own burrow and spent several winters down below, coming up on the warmer days. Scared the bejeebers out of me sometimes, but she is a BIG healthy girl. Sadly now, we have the burrow closed off as the ceiling is coming down in chunks. We had to help her out the last time she was under as she was digging steps, no longer a nice ramp. The thread detailing Tom's trip underground is here.....

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-RV-s-Burrow#axzz1YXZZkTm6

Tom was kind enough to put up a tort shed, with heated pads, thermostat, the works. I'm really hoping RV enjoys the winter above ground this year. As she was growing up, we had a large tank (as a baby) with regular supervised trips outside. When she was larger, she stayed in the west side yard, and now as an adult, has the entire back yard. We have bermuda grass planted and this is her primary food source. We've also planted cactus in the upper tier for food in lean times (she eats sparingly in cold weather, but I'm expecting this to change with the heated tort home.) We've tried growing weeds - those that grow she enjoys. We've tried growing hibiscus - she love the flowers. One of the hard frosts nearly killed our big bush, and the following hot summer finished the job. We've tried planting more but they don't do well. I've 2 more plants ready to plant in the west side yard. Hopefully they'll survive.....

Good luck with your new tort. Getting them big is maybe easier than bringing them up from a baby. Feel free to PM me if you have questions, concerns.

teri

Status
Not open for further replies.