Losing hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainfalt

5 Year Member
Sh3wulf said:
Ainfalt,

The last picture of Tank you posted made my heart just break for you. It's so obvious how much you love on him.

Did you try the moist towel suggestion made by Gwen ? It seems simple, but who knows.

The flashing for extended period of time is a conundrum. Wonder if he's just sexually frustrated and feeling the need? Again seems stupidly simple, but hell we humans can get out of sorts about nonsense, so why not torts?

I really do keep hoping for a positive update and was cheering for Tank when he finally got to the point the tube could be removed. This next set of roadblocks is just gut wrenching for me, and I'm sure everyone else here to read.

As you said, lots of positive energy is being directed at you and Tank so know that your story is heard and you have support. Keep loving on Tank, and whatever the outcome he has obviously been adored.

Chin up tort-momma, fight isn't over till its over so keep doing your best

Two kids, One husband, One Hines57, One Leopard Tortoise, and a room at the sanitarium lol

Thanks for your support! It really helps to know people are thinking of him and hoping & praying that he pulls through this. It's pretty much all I have to keep me going with this and the seldom moments when does something normal.

I appreciate it so much!

He slept last night with some sugar paste on his man parts. After I soaked him this morning it seemed to be doing better, only poking out a tiny bit. Then he ate a little bit of watermelon this afternoon which he struggled to do and ate a bite or two of romaine. After he tried eating, I noticed it was out all the way again and he was sitting there with his hind legs up so he could stay off it. I'm starting to wonder if something could be wrong with his mouth and it's causing him pain when he eats. Maybe the pain from eating made him strain which pushed it out more? It's a puzzle to me why this is happening. I noticed that near the corners of his mouth, near his jaws, he has what looks to be swollen bumps on either side. One side is bigger than the other. I will post some pictures as soon as I give him some time to relax and recover from the traumatizing honey-on-penis episode we just had.

Does anyone know about these bumps? Have you seen them before? In the pictures I've looked at to research this, I haven't seen anything quite the same.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Ains, you should PM Tom or Wellington with a good clear picture of all your concerns. Those bumps you mentioned along with all that has gone up until now, maybe there is a correlation.
Dogs get bumps from too much complex sugars, maybe it's a diet thing? What about a toxin of some sort in his environment?
Do tortoises get mumps? Mumps suck!!
Keep us posted k

Two kids, One husband, One Hines57, One Leopard Tortoise, and a room at the sanitarium lol

ainfalt

5 Year Member
Here are the pictures I took of the bump. It's on the right side, I took pictures of the left side to show the difference. ImageUploadedByTortForum1376193269.967428.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1376193279.483527.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1376193288.233445.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1376193297.766663.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1376193308.083691.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1376193316.250305.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
CedarCreekLake, Texas
isn't that the same side that had the feeding tube? could that have something to do with it?

ainfalt

5 Year Member
samsmom said:
isn't that the same side that had the feeding tube? could that have something to do with it?

That was the same side as the tube but I don't think it is related. However, the stitching is still in his neck (you can see from the 4th pic I believe). It looks ok and I don't think it bothers him, but shouldn't that have been removed, too? I haven't addressed it yet because so many other things have been happening that have been more of a priority.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
could it be an abcess? i would ask if the stitches will disolve or do they need to be removed?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
It's possible is is a small ear abscess? Let others pipe in too.
However, can't imagine why that would make him strain enough to prolapse. I know you said he pooped. Has he urinated? Could this be a bladder stone? ( can't remember if the vet did X-rays, or how long ago).

ainfalt

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
It's possible is is a small ear abscess? Let others pipe in too.
However, can't imagine why that would make him strain enough to prolapse. I know you said he pooped. Has he urinated? Could this be a bladder stone? ( can't remember if the vet did X-rays, or how long ago).

It could be possible. He has pooped but I haven't seen him urinate in a very long time, months. It is possible that he does in his soaks but the tub is black so hard to tell. He had xrays about a month and a half ago I'd say and there was not a mention of stones.

ainfalt

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
Since he is still nibbling, etc, then sure seems worth looking into perhaps?

Yes, I definitely think everything is worth looking into. I am planning on talking to the vet again about what we can do.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
That totally looks like an abscess to my untrained eye. My Dane had one just like that caused by a piece of twig that got up into his gum under a tooth.
I know you mentioned that Tanks vet bills thus far have been a drain, but he may need another check at this point.
I would recommend going in prepared with a chronological list of everything Tanks been going through and what treatments have been performed. That kind of lost lets the vet look at an overall picture and may help with diagnosing an issue they haven't thought of before now.
I used these lists with all my sickly babies from lizards to big dogs and they have always been helpful and appreciated by the vet.
Good luck. Lots of warm thoughts for Tank

Lilyloveslettuse

5 Year Member
Oregon
Just a thought and question...are you keeping him warm enough? What kind of temp. range does he live in daily? Digestion slows way down when the temps are cool...How old is he?

ainfalt

5 Year Member
Today Tank was the worst I've ever seen him. My heart broke into pieces but my boyfriend and I decided to have him euthanized today. This really is the worst feeling ever. We went to say goodbye to him at the vet's office and he couldn't even open his eyes at all. I got to spend a little time with him and say goodbye and give him some love before he goes.

I just wanted to thank all of those who helped me so much and gave your thoughts and prayers to us. I still means a lot to know so many people were there for him.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
So very sorry to hear that. You made an amazing effort.
That was a kind thing to do for him, even as it was so difficult for you.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
You have demonstrated love and devotion to the fullest that I think life has to offer.
Tank was a lucky boy for the time he had on earth.
I'm sure you feel the same for having him.

Hopefully someday another will know your love.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Tank too?

TerriTurtle

5 Year Member
Wyoming
So sorry for the pain and your loss. Thank you for being such a dedicated pet owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.